Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #1
Army 'Lifer' to 'Loafer'

XLR 305V10 Fueling Station

I'll apologize in advance if this is an old topic, but I didn't find anything specifically addressing my question.

Four years ago, I bought a new 2010 XLR 305V10 which I have enjoyed ever since. It was excess inventory for the dealer, meaning someone ordered it but then backed out of the deal at the last minute. When I went through the orientation I noticed the fuel gauge and rocker switch located inside the small access panel where you fill the generator fuel tank, near the left-rear side of the unit (driver's side of the tow vehicle). I believe I was told by the dealer that it had been wired at the factory to be equipped with the fueling station but that the person who originally ordered it had evidently not wanted that option, so the gauge/switch were not actually operational.

Jumping to the present, I have used this RV now for four years and have always accepted the fact that there is no functioning fuel gauge and therefore no way to be sure how much gas is available for the generator. That's not usually an issue, but as we get ready for the next big winter weather event here in the Wash DC area, I am once again looking at my RV as a good fall back plan, in the event we lose power for an extended period. Man I love that generator!

Today I called the dealer to learn the fuel tank capacity and spoke to the service manager who told me it should be 32 gallons. The service manager was surprised when I told him my gauge has never worked. The built-in Onan 5.5KW generator, was a fairly expensive factory option and he felt it made no sense that it would come from the factory with the generator and a fuel gauge installed but with gauge left inoperable. The fueling station and the generator are designed to both draw gas from the same fuel tank, so it would seem logical that you would need the gauge regardless of whether or not you have a fueling station.

Has anyone else had this same experience?
Is there a fuse somewhere I should check?
Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Big Charlie
Cold in Maryland

big charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:14 AM   #2

Dumb question, I know to make my fuel gauge work, I not only need to flip the switch near the fueling station but I have to flip a second switch inside the vehicle that is on my main panel. I have the 300x12hp, I've also heard of people's on/off switch being near their fridge. Do you know where the switch is on your unit and did you ever give it a shot?

I'm all about starting with the easy stuff. I'm surprised that the generator is there and the unit isn't operational.

Z
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:58 PM   #3
RFK

I have the 2013 version of the fuel tank / pump set up. To get my gauge and pump working I need to turn on the inside switch on the kitchen wall and the rocker switch inside fuel gauge door one tap to turn it on and two taps for off. Maybe you have the same set up for yours.
2007 Harley Electra Glide Classic
:iwo
RFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:58 AM   #4
Army 'Lifer' to 'Loafer'

The odd thing about this is that the RV was ordered from the factory with a generator which was expensive, but without the refueling station itself, which is only a couple of hundred dollars extra if you already have the generator. So I have the same fuel tank underneath, and the access panel on the rear-left side has the fuel gauge and rocker switch. Missing is the larger access door where the refueling hose would normally be found. The Service Manager at the dealership where I bought the RV, thinks the gauge ought to be working even though I don't have a refueling station.

For those of you who have the refueling station, is the fuel gauge in the small access panel always 'on', or do you have to turn on a switch somewhere to see how much fuel is in the tank for the generator?

Thanks in advance.
BC

big charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by big charlie View Post

For those of you who have the refueling station, is the fuel gauge in the small access panel always 'on', or do you have to turn on a switch somewhere to see how much fuel is in the tank for the generator?

Thanks in advance.
BC
If I'm not mistaken the switch that is located inside the trailer is on a timer so that you would need to turn it back on every 20 min or so of non-use.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:30 PM   #6

Sorry but just seen this. On ours we have to have the switch located inside by main rocker switch panel and the go turn the switch on back at the fueling station. I also have two separate tanks . One for gen the other for fuel station. Only problem is to read gauge for gen , the fueling station pump turns on instead of having a separate switch.
Firepup is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags