Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #1

Xlr 40x12

I've had mine for one month now. Me, And the wife, really like it. No major issues. The dealer misinformed us some things, but, they are attempting to resolve them. We use the garage as a den. It works out great. We love the 2nd shower. Great for me to use after work. The on demand hot water upgrade was well worth it!!! So far, satisfied.
JlpLhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JlpLhp View Post
I've had mine for one month now. Me, And the wife, really like it. No major issues. The dealer misinformed us some things, but, they are attempting to resolve them. We use the garage as a den. It works out great. We love the 2nd shower. Great for me to use after work. The on demand hot water upgrade was well worth it!!! So far, satisfied.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm researching the XLR Thunderbolts and don't see much feedback on them. Oh, you have the one with the wet bath. I just saw that floorplan this morning on eBay while researching prices. I want the second shower also. We have 2 kids, plus we will invite friends, and I think many people sharing a single bathroom wouldn't be the best idea.
How much extra was the on-demand water heater?

Can you elaborate on what the dealer misinformed you about?
Old 05-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #3

1400 for the on demand hot water. Dealer told us that it had a extreme weather package. After delivery, we found out it didn't. The wet bath works out very well. Lots of room in the trailer. Lots of sleeping places. The patio , out the back, is really nice. We have two awnings, electric. The patio has a manual awning. It's nice to set up with auto levelers. One push of a button and done. Not really unhappy about anything except the weather package. The dealer is gonna drop the underbelly and put extra insulation and tank heaters in for no charge.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #4

Quote:
1400 for the on demand hot water. Dealer told us that it had a extreme weather package. After delivery, we found out it didn't. The wet bath works out very well. Lots of room in the trailer. Lots of sleeping places. The patio , out the back, is really nice. We have two awnings, electric. The patio has a manual awning. It's nice to set up with auto levelers. One push of a button and done. Not really unhappy about anything except the weather package. The dealer is gonna drop the underbelly and put extra insulation and tank heaters in for no charge.
Ouch and ouch!. I didn't realize the on-demand heaters were that high. Are you full-timing?
The other ouch is in regards to the all weather package. I'd be furious about that. That's the main reason the XLR Thunderbolt is on my short list, but it's certainly not important to everyone. Dropping the belly and insulating will certainly help the floor, but it won't help the roof any. Is it safe to assume you bought this off the dealer's lot? Is there supposed to be a sticker somewhere on the rig that indicates it has the all weather package?

I'm glad to hear you are pleased with it overall, though. I'm so tired of reading horror stories about all the major toy hauler manufacturers. It's no wonder I get cold feet on a regular basis!
Old 05-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #5

Yes we are full timing. They r also gonna wrap my water lines. You r correct, nothing can b done about the roof, except a radiant barrier roof coating. I gotta find out if it will effect my warranty on the roof. We have found that the cost of the on demand was well worth it. Loooong hot showers!!!!
Old 05-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #6

If there is a cold weather package, it will have dual pane windows.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #7

Bought it at a RV show. New dealer for XLR. He just didn't know what he was talking about.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #8

I figured you were. If I were full-timing, I'd definitely opt for that! :>)

I see. I didn't realize it included dual pane windows. That's awesome! It's usually a separate item/option.

Well, even so, that's a shame. A good salesperson knows their product inside and out, and he/she should have known. We saw the XLR for the first time last year at the Hershey, PA RV show, and I remember noticing a sticker by the front door that mentioned something about being all weather. I feel bad for you. Having a well-insulated RV is paramount to me. Perhaps a coating on the roof will help, but not so sure about the warranty part. Stay in the shade when it's hot, and get into the sun when it's chilly. Man, I'd be bummed! I wonder what the standard insulation is in these units.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #9

According to FR, standard r-factor is 28 on roof and floor. 9 on walls. 23 in slides. (Top, ends , and floors).
Old 05-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #10

Quote:
According to FR, standard r-factor is 28 on roof and floor. 9 on walls. 23 in slides. (Top, ends , and floors).
You know, that's not terrible. It could certainly be a lot worse.

Keystone's Blizzard package is R-31. We toured some Keystone toy haulers recently at our local dealer. It was a sunny and somewhat warm day, and the toy haulers were very comfortable to be in despite the garages all being opened up all day, and we didn't get there until late afternoon.

Conversely, there was a 2011 Jayco Pinnacle on the lot that was recently traded in. We decided to check out the Pinnacle out of curiosity. I'll tell you what......You could tell a big difference between the Keystone toy haulers and the Pinnacle! The Pinnacle is insulated to R-21 in the roof, and Wow!, you could really tell it. I bet we only stayed inside that one for a minute before we had to get out. It was too hot in there, and it wasn't even that warm outside. Proper insulation makes a huge difference! I should mention that Jayco does insulate their Seismic toy hauler much more adequately.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:39 PM   #11

The XLR cold package has r-43 in roof and floor with dual pane windows. Everything else is the same.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:54 PM   #12

Quote:
The XLR cold package has r-43 in roof and floor with dual pane windows. Everything else is the same.
That's fantastic! I believe that may be the best in the industry (as far as the floor and roof insulation). The Dutchmen Voltage is R-40. I believe the Voltage and XLR are the leaders as far as insulation values for toy haulers in the roof and floor. Those two brands are at the top of my list. I believe the DRV Mobile Suite's toy hauler - a lot more money - has better wall insulation values, but not better roof and floor values.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:29 AM   #13

I have a Dicor roof. Dicor has a two step roof coating that will reduce inside ceiling temp by 29%!! Warranty not effected. Gonna give it try.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:37 AM   #14

I am on the Dicor Web site and don't see anything matching that description. What's it called?
Old 05-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #15

Quote:
If there is a cold weather package, it will have dual pane windows.
and at least on the xlr27hfs it will have "EP" for "extreme package" at the end of the model .. so on title and model description reads xlr27hfs-ep. Will also have hot water tank heaters or was it just extra insulation around the water heaters ?
melk-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #16

It's called cool roof.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #17

Sorry. It's called Coolcoat. Just looked at it b
Old 05-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #18

Look at www.dicorproducts.com. Click on roof products. Click on restore products. You'll find it there.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #19

i guess it would depend on a few things, but if it were me.. i would want the discount off the price of the trailer for the extreme package (if in fact you were billed for it), rather than try and have them do a few "band-aid" additions after the fact. I doubt they will replace all the windows with 2pane, you won't get the good roof insulation, i think the wall insulation is even upgraded, and i highly doubt they will be able to do the floor insulation as well as they would have at the factory during assembly. Also, there is the potential for damaging something or pinching something off during all this after build work.. just something to think about If you were not billed, and they are just willing to do extra stuff based on what you were told by the dealer, consider some other option you may want instead to make up for the mistake ?
melk-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #20

The weather package is a $2100 upgrade. Was not charged for it. There is no upgrade for the walls. Dual pane windows go up from R-1 to R-2. That's nothing. They r doing this at no charge. I'm ok with that.