Old 11-13-2015, 09:09 AM   #11

FR returned my quiry...my XLR 415 was built in August 2013...my misfortune.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhit View Post
breezyhillfarm-This is not the first time I've seen you make that comment.

Do you get a percentage of the pie and ice cream proceeds up there or something?

I drive right by there on I-90 every year around July. I'll keep this in mind. Meanwhile I think I'll take only ONE of my 800lb bikes this next trip, and no water.

Thanks!

Nope, I wish! Although the pie and ice cream were great at Goshen this year. Actually, when I find a company that I like and treats me well, I don't mind endorsing them.

We're on our third FR (kept trading up) and went to Goshen for the first time this summer. I was a little hesitant to go as I'm not a "joiner" and like to set my own schedule. However, my wife, who is much smarter than me, said let's give it a try and we can leave if we don't like it.

It was one of the best weeks we ever spent camping. The folks with us in the XLR ghetto were terrific and fun and we had a nice assortment of bikes. Everyone got along and we're still in touch.

BulletBob was around daily, hung out with the crew and even set up an ad hoc plant tour. I told him we didn't really have any service issues with our 2014 27HFS but he said to fill out the form anyway in case there were any recalls. That would save us s dealer trip.

I did remember that I had a slow leak on one of the tires and wondered if it might be the rim. They came and took the tire, found a screw way down in it, fixed it and put it back on.

Bob came in the trailer to chat and noticed that I took out my dinette and put two recliners there. He also noticed the trim around where the dinette had been was incomplete and said he would have that fixed. I objected because that was not FR's doing. They fixed it anyway.

Then my wife noted that the cabinet doors opened up with no support and she had to wedge something in to keep them open. Bob said they could put the hinges on the side if we wished, but needed to know that they might wear a bit faster. When my wife asked how much, Bob said no charge.

The last morning we were having coffee and there was a horrible noise on the side of the trailer. I opened the curtain and two service guys were replacing the electrical port. There had been a recall.

There was no charge for any repairs to any unit regardless of age. Amazing.

The entire event was first rate and that's why I'm a fan. They make 120000 units a year and there will be issues. But I have found FR to be a great company and endorse them highly.

Old 11-13-2015, 04:56 PM   #13

Breezy- I see your enthusiasm for the company and agree totally. I too am a brand-loyal customer when treated fairly. I have no beef w/FR. This is my misfortune falling into a product as the specs changed. We'll be fine.

We love the XLR product and pursued a month long search for one. We're looking very much forward to the first trip (other than towing it 125 miles home) which is sitting on Ohio Key (Jus' south of Marathon) enjoying winter weather Jan thru March with the bikes.

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:26 PM   #14

Oh, and one last stroke to those ruffled feathers dwhit, you can buy 7k axles for about $400 a piece if you are really worried or want to max out your capacity. However, in doing so you will now have an overloaded 18k pinbox. This gives you an excellent opportunity to buy a nice air ride 21k pinbox to match your new HD axles. Oh wait, perhaps this didn't help at all. Well, not your wallet at least...
Old 11-13-2015, 06:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat View Post
Oh, and one last stroke to those ruffled feathers dwhit, you can buy 7k axles for about $400 a piece if you are really worried or want to max out your capacity. However, in doing so you will now have an overloaded 18k pinbox. This gives you an excellent opportunity to buy a nice air ride 21k pinbox to match your new HD axles. Oh wait, perhaps this didn't help at all. Well, not your wallet at least...

Oh no, Karl, that gives you the excuse to buy the F450 of your dreams!
Old 11-13-2015, 06:50 PM   #16

I'll have an F450 in about a year and a half when the 17 redesign hits. They will be on dealer lots next November but no point buying a new tow vehicle before the snow flies. Will order in Feb for an April delivery....

On a side note and not to start a towing forum war, my SRW 350 tows my 395 100% perfectly. The only thing it does not do is provide a nice ride doing so over rough highways.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:49 PM   #17
Fulltime family RVer

What's the GVWR of the unit?
Old 11-13-2015, 08:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
What's the GVWR of the unit?
If you're asking the OP, 18k. 21k with a new pinbox and axles.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:19 PM   #19

Karl4Cat- That's correct.

Oh for the want of a 3,000lb safety margin...

Or more STUFF.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhit View Post
Karl4Cat- That's correct.

Oh for the want of a 3,000lb safety margin...

Or more STUFF.

Yea stuff!

Tags
axle, xlr