Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2018, 05:53 PM   #1

XLR Awning Recall

Has anyone else received a notice about the awning being recalled? Seems that some models may open during transport. Has this happened to anyone on this forum? Worried about dealership performing repair, it states it takes 8 hours to perform repairs.
twentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:02 PM   #2

What model/brand awning do you have?

I’ve not received any notice for ours, wonder which models are affected.
roadie00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:11 AM   #3
Dustmaker

Solera Smart Arm Awning

I have also received a Safety Recall notice (NHTSA RECALL: 18V527 / Canada Recall 2018-425) from FR for this awning. The description on the recall I received is the same as what you state, however the repair time in my recall letter indicates .50 hours for repair. I have been in contact with the dealer I purchased from, sent them a copy of the recall notice I received, and requested that the repair be done while I wait, but have not yet received a scheduled appointment.
Dustmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustmaker View Post
I have also received a Safety Recall notice (NHTSA RECALL: 18V527 / Canada Recall 2018-425) from FR for this awning. The description on the recall I received is the same as what you state, however the repair time in my recall letter indicates .50 hours for repair. I have been in contact with the dealer I purchased from, sent them a copy of the recall notice I received, and requested that the repair be done while I wait, but have not yet received a scheduled appointment.

Please let me know how the recall repair goes, I cant believe it would take 50 hours
twentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentz View Post
Please let me know how the recall repair goes, I cant believe it would take 50 hours

.50 hours. “1/2” hour.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:38 AM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decon Blue View Post
.50 hours. “1/2” hour.
LOL.. unless it's CW... then it is 50 hours!

Did I say that out loud.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:04 AM   #7

Awning Recall

Cant speak to how long repairs would take, but we took ours in the other day and asked about it.

If you do not have an awning with a wind sensor (I didn't know there was such a thing) you are good to go and not affected by the recall.

What the dealership told me is that awnings with that wind sensor were deploying during movement of the camper down the road! That would be an interesting thing that only Clark Griswald could appreciate.

Ours didn't have the sensor so we didn't require any work.
Estes1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:58 AM   #8
Dustmaker

Solera Smart Arm Awning Recall

Finally getting around to my update... After not having much success getting this recall scheduled at a couple different places I contacted FR warranty department and they gave me the number for Avalon RV in Medina, Ohio (about 2 hours from my location). I called them and they scheduled an appointment for my recall work in a timely fashion. I arrived a few minutes ahead of schedule, checked in at the service center and someone was out to get my truck/trailer in short order. They addressed the awning recall and an additional recall on the Smart Jack. Work was completed on both items in about an hour and then I was on my way. Everyone there that I came in contact with was very friendly, professional, and helpful and yes, if you are in the area I would recommend Avalon RV.

I read a statement on this thread that the awning recall might be related to the wind sensor feature for which I do not have, nor do I know this statement to be accurate but it could be; Anyway, reading that comment made some sense to me so I wasn't in a real hurry to get the recall work completed last year. The technician that replaced the awning controller showed me some corrosion around the pins in the old module connector so in the end I am glad I had the recall work done.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:12 AM   #9

Do we know what year campers need the work done?
Sbdfabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:31 PM   #10
Dustmaker

Quote:
Do we know what year campers need the work done?
This thread is associated with the NHTSA Recall 18V527 / Canada Recall 2108-425 for the Solera Smart Arm awning. It would be better for you to Google the recall and read it to see if your specific year/model is included. The document also gives contact numbers if you wish to call someone for additional information.

The recall I also mentioned on the Smart Jack in my previous post is NHTSA Recall 18V051 / Canada Recall 2018-084 which addresses water intrusion into the electronics due to a cracked or separated plastic touch pad.

Tags
awning, recall, xlr