Old 12-21-2014, 09:51 AM   #1

XLR battery Box

Has anyone found a solution to the poorly designed battery box on the XLR, the 340 in particular?

Mine is in the curb side compartment with the Jack Hydraulics. The vented cover will not fit on top due to the cables, 2 positive and one negative. The employee who did the PDI walk around said he has never fastened the lid down because of the poor design so the battery just sits in the plastic box.
There is a vent hose going to the front of the unit but doesn't make sense since the compartment is open from the bottom. I wanted to have the lid secured correctly to keep water and debri out when running in the rain.

US Army Retired
Tx_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:24 AM   #2

On my last rig it was the same. There are small divots where the lid and box come together but they are too small. I drilled small holes in the side of the box to route the wires through. Problem solved. Later I went to a larger AGM battery that didn't need a box or to be vented.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:44 PM   #3

mine is like that too.The batt is loose and can slide around in the box. They solved the lid problem by screwing it down with 4 og those damn self drill/tap screws! What a hack!
Old 12-21-2014, 07:58 PM   #4

I had the same issue with mine, was not happy with the reply from salesman during PDI. During hot summer day this past summer the plastic battery box fell through the metal framing left the battery hanging by cables. Not good. Removed box and lid and found out the bottom and top are the same. I made a temp fix with making a sling out of 2 inch strap to support the battery. Have talked with service dept and had it looked at. No good fix per service dept. I will be making a stainless battery box after the first.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 12-22-2014, 05:53 AM   #5

Beerrun, that is exactly what I was afraid of. Just by looking at it there is the potential for the plastic to get hot and become deformed and fall through.

Taken, that's what I was going to do, drill holes in the side but now that I see the battery can fall through, I think I will build a different box.

So correct me if I'm wrong, since the whole compartment is open at the bottom, the top lid with the vent hose really isn't necessary. The battery is vented.

Poor engineering.

US Army Retired
Tx_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:46 AM   #6

I have 2 batteries in my 5er and the boxes are the same as yours. It came with one and I told the dealer I wanted 2 batteries as we dry camp a lot. They installed the boxes and drilled holes in the ends and on the sides to accommodate the wiring and there are 2 vent hose teed together to go to the vent. My batteries fit end to end in the compartment. It's a tight fit and usually my right hand gets cut up putting the cables onto the posts along woth the voltmeter wires and solar hook up. They used screws to hold the two halves together. Over the years I started to use plastic ties to hold them together. Fast forward to last summer when the batteries or battery went bad on me.(5 years old). I had my son pick up two new ones up while we were dry camping in the Rockies and he brought back 2 bigger batteries.( went from Group 27 to 31 so they are longer) Yes we measured the size of the batteries ....but....and it was too far to drive to change them out. Well they only went in part way. I did manage to fit the top on and then used plastic ties to hold them together. Actually they were sealed pretty good due to the tight fit. I take the batteries out for the winter and the one farthest in was a real bear trying to get out of the box which was screwed to the floor of the compartment. So now I have 2 regular battery boxes that fit my batteries. The only holes I drilled in them are for the vent in the bottom and the top. I've had to do some remodeling on them and I am hoping they will fit the compartment. I did take them out to the 5er and put them into the compartment and it's pretty tight. I'll screw the web straps down instead. I've looked on the web for the same type original boxes that will fit my batteries but I don't feel like selling one of my grandchildren to buy them.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx_Rider View Post
Beerrun, that is exactly what I was afraid of. Just by looking at it there is the potential for the plastic to get hot and become deformed and fall through.

Taken, that's what I was going to do, drill holes in the side but now that I see the battery can fall through, I think I will build a different box.

So correct me if I'm wrong, since the whole compartment is open at the bottom, the top lid with the vent hose really isn't necessary. The battery is vented.

Poor engineering.
I think you'd be good without the vent and it probably wasn't necessary from the get go being open at the bottom. I actually tried to get my dealer to order my new rig without the vent as I am going with two AGM 6V batteries that I am supplying when my trailer is delivered. He tried but his rep told him it was mandatory even though it wasn't necessary due to RVIA regs. Too bad as I am getting full body paint and would rather not have an unnecessary cutout in it but oh well...

As to your situation, couldn't you just put a sheet of marine plywood under your box to prevent the possibility of it ever falling through?
Old 12-22-2014, 09:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx_Rider View Post

Poor engineering.
The bottom whole is a drain and vent for air to come in and push the gasses out the top vent to the outside. You need your vent. If any gasses escape any wire's in that area will go from it corrosion. Being your pump is also in there I would make sure you have it vented. Any battery in an enclosed area needs to be vented or has to be a sealed battery gasses rise. I guess you could add a AGM sealed battery instead. Your dealer should know that. I would make them seal it correctly.....
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
The bottom whole is a drain and vent for air to come in and push the gasses out the top vent to the outside. You need your vent. If any gasses escape any wire's in that area will go from it corrosion. Being your pump is also in there I would make sure you have it vented. Any battery in an enclosed area needs to be vented or has to be a sealed battery gasses rise. I guess you could add a AGM sealed battery instead. Your dealer should know that. I would make them seal it correctly.....
I know this is technically true but in my last trailer, before I switched to AGM I had added a second battery and never bothered to vent it. It was in a completely sealed compartment unlike XLR's that also housed all the 12V breakers and the hydraulic pump. Years went by and I never had anything corrode at all. I'm wondering long it really takes for the corrosion to happen?
Old 12-22-2014, 10:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
I know this is technically true but in my last trailer, before I switched to AGM I had added a second battery and never bothered to vent it. It was in a completely sealed compartment unlike XLR's that also housed all the 12V breakers and the hydraulic pump. Years went by and I never had anything corrode at all. I'm wondering long it really takes for the corrosion to happen?
Well I can tell you a little. I lived on a sail boat had 4 D-8's and a exhaust fan that was in the engine room. The fan was really quite, Never knew it was on but the gasses eat up my wiring down there, not knowing it was out. Yes stupid of me but it happened. Didn't realize it until I pulled the shut off for my 50 hp diesel. The corrosion eat my wire. Then I discovered all the electrical wires going, cost quite a lot to repair from a cheap inline fan going out. Granted had alot more gasses then a 27 group but I have seen what can happen and it is even against the I think it's called RVI. The group who sets standards that theses RV people are suppose to follow. Just plan safer but that's just me.....

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, xlr