Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2015, 10:10 AM   #1

XLR Best Thing/Worst Thing/Suggestions

I have been in our 27HFS for three weeks of camping and still love it. However, nothing is perfect. So, the best thing: the slide. It's our first TT with a slide and it's great. The worst thing: the front bed is impossible to make without pulling the mattress out. Suggestions: the slide gets hot inside when the sun shines on the black outside material. I wonder if a reflective surface could be used.

This is my third FR and second toy hauler.

2014 XLR27HFS
2006 Ford F450 Dually Diesel
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:00 AM   #2

They say the canopy over the slide keeps it cooler and also keeps it leaf free....I will probably be installing this next.... this is our first TT, the front bed can be a pain as we have found also...We purchased the 27hfs in may and is a 2016...the biggest complaint so far has to be with dealers not wanting to do the recall we got for it.... The unit was purchased in Ohio and we live near Richmond ,Va. After trying to deal with the local dealer, realizing shipping etc.added to the cost, they got very Nasty and said don't come to them for any issues. This for me includes any further TT purchases.... Any how after three calls to different dealers no one will do the recall and the first question is did you buy it here..... A recall to me should be handled different.... Yes I have emailed and called FR....no response as of yet but ill give them a chance....also will put a call in to the dealer in Ohio Monday and try that route... Besides the aggravation of the recall we love the trailer and have also spent three weeks total this summer towing around the Harleys and camping..... Heading to Fla for our last trip in November for the season and I hope to have the recall fixed by then....
roguepra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezyhillfarm View Post
I have been in our 27HFS for three weeks of camping and still love it. However, nothing is perfect. So, the best thing: the slide. It's our first TT with a slide and it's great. The worst thing: the front bed is impossible to make without pulling the mattress out. Suggestions: the slide gets hot inside when the sun shines on the black outside material. I wonder if a reflective surface could be used.

This is my third FR and second toy hauler.

2014 XLR27HFS
BHF, if it is any consolation making the bed in a 29 isn't that much easier, easier yes, but trying to reach the head of the bed while reaching across the long "end table" over the generator box, is not good. I know of a person with such a bed and he has a good mattress protector and uses a super size sleeping bag and doesn't make the bed in a traditional way. I prefer normal.

As R, pointed out the slide cover will help a little (mine is enroute), but what you are talking about is the black sides and how much heat it transfers to the interior. I've noticed this too.

I don't really want to do it, but my thoughts are to paint it with a very light gray that closely matches the body color... or white. For me, a good spray paint in rattle cans will work. Its either HD or Lowes (or both) that sells a line claiming to be "Industrial"; it would take, maybe 6 cans; wouldn't shoot it too thick. Degrease the heck out of it with TSP... bump it with 3M pad, mask and cover (overspray goes everywhere!) and spray. JMO.

My 4th trailer and second TH. My DW said, if I get another she will leave me... have a Thunderbolt on order...
kidding.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:26 PM   #4

WW, we all know you got the best part of the marriage deal! 😄

And the spray paint is a good idea. I'm thinking about the awning too.

We ended up putting a Coleman air mattress on the front mattress. Then we slide the Coleman off to make it with regular sheets. Can't figure out a better way.

2014 XLR27HFS
Old 09-14-2015, 10:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezyhillfarm View Post
WW, we all know you got the best part of the marriage deal! 😄

And the spray paint is a good idea. I'm thinking about the awning too.

We ended up putting a Coleman air mattress on the front mattress. Then we slide the Coleman off to make it with regular sheets. Can't figure out a better way.

2014 XLR27HFS
Your right on the marriage thing!

When I was at Gamble Rogers, I was surprised how hot the slide interior walls got. It was 101 degrees in the shade, when I got down there without a cloud in the sky. WOW! I didn't put my temp gun on it, but it had to be nearly 100 degs.

Oh... I think the second Dometic 13.5k AC unit has bit the ole bullet... grrrr!

When no one is looking (smile) I just throw the bed spread over the bed and don't get picky. I have used a stick to push sheets and cover into place as well. WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 09-14-2015, 02:08 PM   #6
dgibbs1955

On my Viper XLR, I ditched the factory King mattress and put in a good residential Queen mainly so that I could make the bed by sliding the mattress down to get the bottom sheet on and to have something that would give good support.
As far as the heat radiating in from the slide out, I had awnings put on both of my slides and it does help in both the summer and winter as far as keeping the outside from coming in. I also recently just started to bring the slides in for the day while I was away, and that really made a big difference when I would get back home. The slide outs barely had time to really heat up and very little heat was transferred inside. Used fans in the bedroom area along with the A/C set to 75 degrees, and ceiling fans with A/C in the main room and set to 78. This was with the 5er sitting in the sun in southwest corner of OK, where everything just bakes. Hope you get some relief.....

2012 Dodge 3500 Cummins Crew Cab 4X4, "Decluttered" and Tuned/2020 Riverstone 39RKFB/2012 Harley Davidson Ultra Glide CVO.
Summer in Blair,Nebraska.
Winter at home in Azle, TX.
dgibbs1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:41 PM   #7

Hey roguepra I live 20 miles from Richmond and got the same crap from the same dealer. I got a $6000 better deal and dealt with much nicer people at Tom Johnson Camping Center in Marion NC on my 2016 XLR FQLS. I had to travel almost 300 miles but my DW and I got the tt we wanted at a much better deal. I have had 8 trailers and spent a lot of money with the local dealer but never again. I had to make 1 trip back to TJ after purchase to have a few warranty issues handled and will make 1 more in spring to have a few more handled before warranty is up. Is your recall about the electrical plug issue? I just had this on mine. I explained my predicament to a FR rep about my local dealer not wanting to do it and having to drive almost 300 miles to TJ for a 30 minute repair. She was kind enough to send me the instructions and I did it myself. Took about 30 minutes and a $2 part from Home Depot. If you have a little handyman in you and a few basic tools you can probably do it also. Let me know if I can be of some help.
Tireguy397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireguy397 View Post
.....electrical plug issue?.... She was kind enough to send me the instructions and I did it myself. Took about 30 minutes and a $2 part from Home Depot. If you have a little handyman in you and a few basic tools you can probably do it also. Let me know if I can be of some help.
Hi TG, what is the part needed? I have heard of the recall, but haven't gotten anything from the dealer or FR yet. Maybe my early 2015 isn't affected?
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 09-14-2015, 10:01 PM   #9

We ordered our 30 FQSL with the awning over the slide because we winter in Florida and the Oak leaves get into everything and can stain if they get wet. FYI Breezyhillfarm - the dometic AC bit the dust two weeks ago, and not even a year old! Left it running to cool the dogs and returned to find 95 degree temps inside. Ditto on the bed being hard to make but otherwise like our unit a lot! DW has issues with the cabinets being too high for her, stepstool helps!
40 days out 2018

Illegitmi Non Carborundum
LairdT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:47 AM   #10

The main gripe I have with our 30fqsl is the weight for a bumper pull. That sucker is heavy..

I too am about to install a slide cover.

As far as the mattress goes, we kept the original mattress and added a 4" memory foam topper. We slide the mattress back toward the rear and wrap the head end first with the fitted sheet. You can sort of turn the mattress just a little to reach. Or you can sit on the side and reach the top corner.

Another complaint I have is the generator keeps me up sometimes. When it runs constant it isn't as bad. When it's cool outside and the AC kicks on and off, the generator cycles up and down and for some reason gets on my last nerve, especially it being a foot from my head.

The shower/bathroom is small, I looked at it before buying and even stood in the shower/sat on the toilet and figured it would be ok. I am cramped, but I guess for the extra room everywhere else it's worth it.

The best for me are a couple of things.. The reclining couch is my favorite spot at the end of the night..

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442319953.893804.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	88723

The other is setting up the garage for a play room for our son.. Now we don't have toys scattered all over the living room.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442320028.729587.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	88724

It really is a good overall trailer...
Old 09-15-2015, 08:28 AM   #11

My first Brisk Air went bad in slightly over a year. Now the one new one has stopped cooling. I'll check it again today, but it seems the Delta is less than 5 degrees. Inquiring minds wonder why Dometic using the finest Chinese labor $.50 and hour can hire, can't make a unit that will last a few years. Buying new will be a gamble; they are too expensive to take a chance on, when the warranty is out. I think I'll try to find an old Coleman off a 20 year old camper that still works perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdT View Post
We ordered our 30 FQSL with the awning over the slide because we winter in Florida and the Oak leaves get into everything and can stain if they get wet. FYI Breezyhillfarm - the dometic AC bit the dust two weeks ago, and not even a year old! Left it running to cool the dogs and returned to find 95 degree temps inside. Ditto on the bed being hard to make but otherwise like our unit a lot! DW has issues with the cabinets being too high for her, stepstool helps!

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 09-15-2015, 09:49 AM   #12

Part for recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Hi TG, what is the part needed? I have heard of the recall, but haven't gotten anything from the dealer or FR yet. Maybe my early 2015 isn't affected?
WW
Hey Wolf,
Part needed for recall was a small plastic clamp that holds and supports the romex wire where it goes in to the back of the rv plug. Had to buy pack of 4 at HD.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireguy397 View Post
Hey Wolf,
Part needed for recall was a small plastic clamp that holds and supports the romex wire where it goes in to the back of the rv plug. Had to buy pack of 4 at HD.
Thanks TG. On the back of the plug (inside the access area) a clamp is built in to the plug that seems to hold the orange 2-10 AWG wire. I've thought about pulling out the weather proof plug and checking it out. I have not heard that my unit is being recalled for this issue.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 09-16-2015, 07:01 AM   #14

FR came around at the Rally in Goshen and replaced a bunch of these. The connectors can cause some problems.

2014 XLR27HFS
Old 09-16-2015, 07:10 AM   #15

As a former owner I loved nearly everything but the bed setup...and I hated that so much I am a former owner. Between my head hitting the blinds, constantly feeling I would fall through the bathroom wall and the cramped feeling I just couldn't even sleep in it. I finally moved to the garage before moving on. I would like to return to the xlr family someday but could only consider one with better space around the bed...and that needs to wait for a bigger tow vehicle.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:49 AM   #16

On my 2016 XLR the orange wire came out of the side of the trailer plug at the back which bent that wire 90 degrees. There is a 1/2 inch hole straight out of the back of the plug which allows the wire to go straight in and takes the bend out of it thus reducing the chance of a bad connection. The part I got from Home Depot fits over the wire and in to that 1/2 inch hole to support the wire and keep it from pulling out. I would send a picture if I could figure out how to attach it.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:37 AM   #17

Are you able to use the paper clip/attach icon?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FR Attach Picture.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	88877  
Old 09-16-2015, 09:20 PM   #18

Steve, I don't have the window you are showing above when replying, but I do when I create a new post. I tried a new post and upload still fails.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 09-17-2015, 06:38 AM   #19

WW,
From a PC (were I do most of my viewing/replying...) you need to use the Post Reply button and not the Quick Reply option.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FR Post Reply.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	88964  
Old 09-17-2015, 06:39 AM   #20

WW,
Sorry for the duplicate posting. We will continue this conversation in the other post...:-)

Tags
xlr