Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2011, 09:47 AM   #1

XLR Hyperlite 27hfs - gel coat issue - how long is the FR Manf Warranty?

We bought one of the 1st one (3rd off the line we're told) in January '11 and have had a few minor issues that the dealer fixed (mostly). Recently we noticed a tear in the gel coat (picture attached, I hope). This seems like a big concern considering that it isn't a year old yet. We have an appointment w/the dealer to have it looked at under warranty. It's near the roof line and it appears that on the other side there may be some bubbles about to tear as well (also near the roof line). Any ideas what would cause this in a brand new trailer? How long it the EXTERIOR covered by FR? Can't find that info in any of my paperwork.

Other issues we that we want fixed too is that the generator compartment fills up with water when it rains hard (thru the mesh vent, not the door) and then into the RV! We sealed it up so it won't leak anymore but we want FR to fix it for good... Seems like a design flaw for sure... did they fix that in the 2012s?

Our step seems very spongy... not firm like other RVs I've been in.

The door hits the awning when the awning is up..

we love the design of the toy hauler and it pulls like a dream now that we have the sway bars etc set right. The 1st ride home was a white knuckler 'cause the dealer sure didn't get it right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-09-11_19-05-42_194.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	8261  
cheryl7337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:28 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to tlhintoq
On my f37sp the door hits the awning - if I don't extend the telescoping poles after unrolling the awning.

Is it possible there is a similar second step for deploying your awning?
Old 11-01-2011, 01:25 PM   #3

update on this gel coat issue. When we brought it to the dealership they found multiple failures (cracks bubbles) on both walls, left and right! Pretty scary since the unit is only 8 months old, washed and waxed regularly and only towed about 5 times. We are in contact with Forest River now to see how they'll support future wall issues after the 1 yr warranty. I think new walls or a new trailer.

BTW, 2nd yr Factory Warranty is available to us for $250.. Just remember, if you go with the factory warranty you will only get warranty work done at the dealership you purchased from (unless you're failure occurs while traveling). But if you get an extended warranty from someone like Good Sam (which seems pretty reasonable rates) you can take it most anywhere. Good to know if you bought your unit far from your home.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:30 PM   #4

Another update: Forest River came up with a very reasonable solution to my concerns about future failures (after the repairs) by extending their warranty. That makes me feel much better about their faith in their product and their commitment to their customers.

Moral of the story: if you think something's not right stick to your guns and get the factory involved.

Tags
manufacturer warranty, gelcoat