Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2017, 08:51 AM   #1

XLR Hyperlite 27HFS questions

I'm in the process of placing an order for a 27HFS. None of the dealers in my area have any in stock. I looked at a 29HFS but it's a little too long to get into campsites I use. I'm a little reluctant to order without seeing it. If I can get an answer to some questions I'll likely go ahead. I will be using it primarily for my Yamaha ATV. I like the idea of having a separate garage. It seems like it should work perfectly.

Is the garage 9' inside?
Are the tie downs in convenient places to secure an ATV?
I will order the pass thru dinette and electric bed.
Is the garage man door between the tracks for the electric beds?
How is the build quality?

Thanks
Bob
grampscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 04:52 PM   #2

The inside length of my 27HFS is exactly 9'. I bought the XLR for the build quality/price point and have not been disappointed. A few minor issues that have all been taken care of. I would not order a unit without going through it first. The big difference between the 27 and the 29 is the walk around bed. You need to be comfortable about getting in and out of the bed, especially for 2 people, before you pull the trigger. Just my 2 cents. I have a bike so can't comment on the tie downs for an ATV.
srosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 05:08 PM   #3

I would seriously consider the 29HFS, it is only 2 feet longer, one foot for the garage and 1 foot for the bed area (Walk around bed). I had the 27HFS and the one thing my wife and I decided was, the bed sucked, it is tight you have to crawl in and out of bed and over the top of one another, the walk around bed is worth it and the extra foot in the garage is well worth it. the ATV will fit fine, however you will want to change out the tie downs, the ones that come with the camper are anchored down with cheap self tapping screws, I had 3 break just pulling the camper with nothing in the garage, I went to Menard's in Omaha and bought new tie downs and used carriage bolts, just be careful drilling the holes bigger for the bolts, you don't want to hit your tanks. We sold our 27HFS and went with a 5th wheel and double tow. Also, one ATV will fit with no problem, but two may not, the wheel wells on the 27HFS go into the garage so along the wall is only eight feet, on the 29HFS they do not. The Quality was good no issues there. Hopes this helps.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 05:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by srosey View Post
The inside length of my 27HFS is exactly 9'. I bought the XLR for the build quality/price point and have not been disappointed. A few minor issues that have all been taken care of. I would not order a unit without going through it first. The big difference between the 27 and the 29 is the walk around bed. You need to be comfortable about getting in and out of the bed, especially for 2 people, before you pull the trigger. Just my 2 cents. I have a bike so can't comment on the tie downs for an ATV.
The 29 is too long for me. It will be mostly used by me for trips away with the guys so I can live without the island bed.
Is the rear man door usable with the dinette and lowered?
Thanks for the feedback.
Bob
Old 04-15-2017, 05:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampscamper View Post
The 29 is too long for me. It will be mostly used by me for trips away with the guys so I can live without the island bed.
Is the rear man door usable with the dinette and lowered?
Thanks for the feedback.
Bob
No when the bed or dinette is down in the garage the garage entry door is not usable, FR put it right smack in the middle of the rails for the bed/dinnete.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
No when the bed or dinette is down in the garage the garage entry door is not usable, FR put it right smack in the middle of the rails for the bed/dinnete.
Poor design for the man door. Lots to think about. I may have to reconsider the 29 but the specs show 4' longer.
I think the 27 will work but maybe too many compromises. I looked at the Jayco Octane but not sure I like the open design. Not sure the build quality is quite as good either.
I appreciate the feedback.
Thanks
Bob
Old 04-15-2017, 05:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampscamper View Post
Poor design for the man door. Lots to think about. I may have to reconsider the 29 but the specs show 4' longer.
I think the 27 will work but maybe too many compromises. I looked at the Jayco Octane but not sure I like the open design. Not sure the build quality is quite as good either.
I appreciate the feedback.
Thanks
Bob
Sorry about the length, when we were looking at the HFS's the sales lady said it was only 2 feet longer, the truck I had at the time wouldn't handle the extra weight of the 29HFS, I really liked the separate garage. We (DW and I) ended up using the back bed instead of the front. We didn't like the open floor plans either. Good luck in your search.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
Sorry about the length, when we were looking at the HFS's the sales lady said it was only 2 feet longer, the truck I had at the time wouldn't handle the extra weight of the 29HFS, I really liked the separate garage. We (DW and I) ended up using the back bed instead of the front. We didn't like the open floor plans either. Good luck in your search.
My truck can handle the weight no problem but a 35' trailer will be difficult to get into some spots I use. I have a F350 diesel.
I may have to go to an open design to get an island bed, adequate storage and stay around 30' length.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:35 AM   #9

Not at all trying to influence your decision, but besides the garage and bedroom sizes pointed out already, make sure you can live with the storage space in the 27, particularly the kitchen area. The 29 has a huge pantry plus another set of cabinets/drawers next to the refrigerator that the 27 does not have. If you don't cook much, no big deal. If you do, it's worth considering.
DennisTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:13 AM   #10

I'm now starting to have second thoughts on the 27. I need to stay around the 30' overall length. I guess I'll keep shopping.
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks everyone for your feedback.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:21 PM   #11

Wonder if they still make that model that had the big open deck out front and enclosed living area in the back.... 31FK? I call my trailer 29' and have never not been able to get into sites that say. 30' max

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:35 AM   #12

Have you looked at the Wolf Packs?
Cherokee Wolf Pack Toy Haulers by Forest River RV

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:44 AM   #13

I looked at a lot of different toy haulers. Short list is XLR 27HFS & 273 Octane. I like the island bed on the Octane. I wanted the separate garage but may be too many compromises.
I went to look at the Jayco yesterday. Dealer offered me a great deal on one in stock. I'm giving it serious consideration now.
Thanks again for the replies.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:12 AM   #14

Too bad someone doesn't take a Featherlite Gooseneck trailer and convert it right and for a decent price. It is considerable easier and more efficient to tow. Lower in the wind for better fuel economy, floor lower to the ground for ease of entry and loading and unloading, built like a tank. The way the lengths work is the GN overhang (north - south bed) is an 8 foot space and not included in the published length. So if you want, say a 32' trailer; the length you want is 24 footer. You can option them with 50A, roof AC, and even slide. Get one and build out the interior to suit you. That is what I would like to do... I had a dealer quote me $26K for the empty trailer in 24', a slide-out, 50A and AC. I think the interior could be done right for between $15K to $20K and you would have affordable quality... way better quality.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, xlr