Old 03-26-2016, 09:16 PM   #51

Attention 31'ers, I put a 1,000 miles on mine empty#9500 and loaded#12,500, the trailer sways some both empty and loaded. My question is, do you guys with 31's have some sway, it almost fills like its pushing the rear of my truck around.
The truck and trailer are both level. I have tried to move weight in trailer around, tighten and loosen WD hitch, tighten and loosen sway control but I guess that this is probably normal because of size of trailer.

I have a Dodge Cummins 3500 DRW with factory rear auto leveling airbags and 15K Weight Distribution w/ sway control on one side.

I was debating on getting a second sway control bar or tighten up the one I have even more next time out and getting trailer weighed too, maybe add some more weight toward front, adds some tire pressure to trucks rear.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:45 AM   #52

What type of wdh and sway control are you using?

I'm using the Reese dual cam sway bar with significantly less truck than you with no problems. I am only towing in flat terrain Florida though.

-R.Jones
Nitro 31FQSL

Old 03-27-2016, 07:47 AM   #53

Here's the wdh with sway control that I'm using. https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...e/RP66130.html

-R.Jones
Nitro 31FQSL
Old 03-27-2016, 01:47 PM   #54

I have the same truck, without the airbags. I use the timbrens instead.

I have a different hitch though. I use the propride. As long as I don't crank the WD up too much, which takes more weight off the rear of the truck, I don't have any sway issues. I do find that if I use too much WD it can actually give me just a tiny bot of sway. I can't really feel it, but if I watch really closely I can see it.

Maybe you need to dial in the weight distribution? I'm far from being an expert though.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:05 PM   #55

I believe mine is this :
Curt Weight Distribution System with Sway Control - Trunnion Bar - 15,000 lbs GTW, 1,500 lbs TW

I had a thought of maybe air bags and WDH aren't working great together. First time using air bags.
I have a few more things to try on next trip, the sway isn't real bad but hoping I can make it better.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:12 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackAndJane View Post
I have the same truck, without the airbags. I use the timbrens instead.

I have a different hitch though. I use the propride. As long as I don't crank the WD up too much, which takes more weight off the rear of the truck, I don't have any sway issues. I do find that if I use too much WD it can actually give me just a tiny bot of sway. I can't really feel it, but if I watch really closely I can see it.

Maybe you need to dial in the weight distribution? I'm far from being an expert though.
That was my thought to, the rear of truck felt light so I loosen the WDH one link and it made it sway little worst. That's why I had a thought that the air bags and WDH are working against each other. Next trip I have a few thing to try out.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:40 AM   #57

It is the weight on the bars that also function to give you sway control, if you then take weight off with air bags, you negate the function of WDH;and on these models, you could completely lose sway control. You want as much tension on the bars as you can get, and the maximum weight distributed / shifted as possible while getting the weight back onto the TVs front axle and while keeping the trailer in a slightly nose down attitude.

Try setting the ball height on the hitch level or slightly lower than the hitch height on the level trailer and let it squat the truck all it can. Then using the bar tension get the TV front height the same as it was before the trailer was dropped on. And do not add air bag pressure while towing.

Another things on these models is the length of the cam bars most be "nut" on straight. If slight off it will push and pull, left and right causing the TV front to "hunt", like it does on a badly grooved road. Also, do not grease the cams. I go to a big parking lot... loosen the retaining nut and adjustment nuts; pull straight ahead for a nice disance and stop gracefully. Then get out and tighten the nuts.

I have towed 5 year and nearly 20K miles and I am tired of it and going to the Andersen (#3380 in my case).
WW

A Modder's work is never done!
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:58 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
It is the weight on the bars that also function to give you sway control, if you then take weight off with air bags, you negate the function of WDH;and on these models, you could completely lose sway control. You want as much tension on the bars as you can get, and the maximum weight distributed / shifted as possible while getting the weight back onto the TVs front axle and while keeping the trailer in a slightly nose down attitude.

Try setting the ball height on the hitch level or slightly lower than the hitch height on the level trailer and let it squat the truck all it can. Then using the bar tension get the TV front height the same as it was before the trailer was dropped on. And do not add air bag pressure while towing.

Another things on these models is the length of the cam bars most be "nut" on straight. If slight off it will push and pull, left and right causing the TV front to "hunt", like it does on a badly grooved road. Also, do not grease the cams. I go to a big parking lot... loosen the retaining nut and adjustment nuts; pull straight ahead for a nice disance and stop gracefully. Then get out and tighten the nuts.

I have towed 5 year and nearly 20K miles and I am tired of it and going to the Andersen (#3380 in my case).
WW
Right now my truck squats about 3inch below level with trailer hooked then the air bags fill automatic after 20 sec back to level, I have no control over air bags its factory set.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:32 PM   #59

It shouldn't auto Level with key off right? Set trailer in the ball. Add WDH - tension bars. This should bring it to near level then let the auto level / air bags do its thing, but after WDH is set.
WW

A Modder's work is never done!
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:29 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
It shouldn't auto Level with key off right? Set trailer in the ball. Add WDH - tension bars. This should bring it to near level then let the auto level / air bags do its thing, but after WDH is set.
WW
I have tried that before, still same.
I'm going try dropping hitch ball down one notch then hook everything back up and adjust. It will be a couple weeks before I try it thou.

Tags
xlr