Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2011, 04:41 PM   #1

XLR Owners

Now that we have our own spot in the forum, I want to know if anyone is having issues with their equipment. I bought a new 29 MBV TH last year and I am really pleased with all of my limited experiences to this point. We camped as much as possible last year (7 -2 day trips) and are starting to camp more now that the weather is above 35 degrees ( 1 trip so far). I do find that this TH is a little nose heavy. Fresh water and black and 1 gray tanks are both behind the axles. It tows really nice with a full load of water(100 gals). I assume that there are not to many of the XLR's around because I do not here are see many. I have only seen 1 in Fredricksburg,Tx since we started looking last year in Feb.

2012 Super Crew 4WD 6.7 PSD
2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Black Cherry-Hers
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
1979 FXS Hot Rod Shovelhead
Jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:17 AM   #2

Jester,

WOW! This is exciting! Looks like there are 2 XLR's in TX - well almost. We have ordered the 386X12 that is supposed to be in TX sometime in May.

Doesn't appear to be much going on here at this forum. For what's its worth, I have a Cobalt Blue 06 Road King. About 1 1/2 years ago I sold my 79 Fat Bob shovelhead. I rode it since 80 to a lot of places. But the dear wife said it was time to get rid of one of them - I decided to keep the RK.

We had fun at Sturgis in 2010, but had to haul the RK in a cargo trailer behind our 06 Montana 5th wheel. After several years of hauling a trailer behind a trailer - and the associated troubles - I finally talked my wife into a toy hauler.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:26 AM   #3

rickfox,
I was wondering if these TH,s were really out there. We really love ours. I have only seen 1 other on the road. Welcome to the XLR/camping family. I am looking foward to camping a lot this year. We go a lot to Cedar Hill State Park just for the weekend to let the grandkids fish. We went last weekend and it was great! What part of Teaxs are you in? We are by DFW.

2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
Old 03-10-2011, 09:07 AM   #4

Good Day,

I just found this site thanks to a post in the toy hauler forum in RV.net. I purchased a 2008 XLR 3912 and have been quite happy with the unit. The only 2 complaints: one is with the graphics and the other with the noise from the brakes. The graphics are peeling after this short time, and peeling badly. After contacting FR, I was provided with a new set of graphics at no cost to me. However I will need to pay for the application of the new and the removal of the old, since the graphics vendor doesn't stand behind their product. The brakes have been addressed to the extent that different magnets have been installed, and now the 'problem' may be with me actually, expecting more from them than they were designed to provide. Inasmuch as this is my first TH, I'm still learning.

On the plus side of this purchase for me, has been the service rep at FR. If all service reps were like this guy... I'll just say he's been quite an ambassador to FR.

On the down side, I've been very disappointed with the really sloppy service work from my point of purchase: Camping World. I have found another service outlet.

Mike
nuclear1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:11 AM   #5

XLR Owners

Jester,

We are in the Royse City area - out east of Rockwall and Lake Ray Hubbard. From time to time we go out to Benbrook State Park (I think its state run) but never have been to Cedar Hill.

My wife and I have been looking for more than 3 years for a TH and recently almost purchased a Voltage. I'm glad we didn't as one of the dealers in our area have stopped selling it.

As I mentioned on RV.net, my only dissapointment so far (I don't have it yet) is the delivery day has been schedule for over 10 weeks from downpayment. I have complained, but don't expect it to make much difference. I'm sure I will have more to say after I actually lay hands on the thing.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #6

rickfox,
I think you would like it @ Cedar Hill state park. It might be a good start for camping close to break in the new TH. We take the grand kids out to let them fish at Joe Pool. We like it because it is a little more private. Good luck with the new one. Let me know once you get it. I would like to here what you think of it.

2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
Old 03-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #7

Nuclear1946,
I have only had this unit since Sept.2010,but the brakes are exceptional on this unit. It is a bumper pull and It is fairly heavy for a bumper pull about 11K loaded for the TH. Your input will keep giving me things to check in the future. Thanks

2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
Old 03-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #8

I have the 2011 XLR35X12, Love it! Spent around 40 nights in it last year, looking forward to this year. Ton's of room in the garage, 2 Canam 800's and my son's 50CC Honda fit no problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0603.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	4841  
DarcyRobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:44 AM   #9

I have spent the past three weeks trying to talk myself out of a 23FBV(its my way of impulse buying without the impulse) and hope to pull the trigger in the next week or so. I have done extensive dealership and internet research on all the TH out there and keep coming back to the XLR's, They seem to have the best/most sensible layouts as well as impressive build quality compared to their competition.

Hope to be joining the small crowd in the near future.
popik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:16 AM   #10

Popik,
We looked at that unit for about a year before we bouhgt the 29 MBV. The 23FBV is great looking unit. Good luck with resisting the call.
Jester

2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
Old 03-17-2011, 01:05 PM   #11

Temptation won and the order/deposit was placed yesterday so in 8 short weeks I'll be an XLR owner too. Anyone have some advise on a WDH setup for the v-nose vipers? Local dealer wants a mint for a weld-on unit but I have heard or others just flipping the brackets...and they recommend the electric tongue jack to assist with setting the chains.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:31 PM   #12

I have a 2011 XLR 35x10 which we love.We had a few problems with the kitchen slide, hopefully its fixed! we have not had it out camping yet. The slide leaked and struggled going in and out so they adjusted and put plastic runners on the bottom of the slide because the rollers were damaging the underside of the slide, also the large slide leaked. They had to replace the side trim on the inside because it swelled badly. hopefully no problems this year. I purchased this trailer in the USA and had a bit of an issue finding someone to look at it?
I'm in Canada
chipnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:12 AM   #13

WDH for XLR

Popik - as far as the WDH for the XLR units...

We have a 29MBV on order and I asked many of the dealers that I contacted when deciding where to purchase, and all recommended the equal-i-zer brand hitch. I worked a 14,000 hitch to be installed into my deal since the tongue weight of this unit is pretty heavy. Based on internet surfing, it seems to be a popular choice.
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:48 PM   #14

We ordered our 386X12 on Feb 22 and were told the delivery would be in 6 - 8 weeks. We have now been told that delivery will be May7. That's almost 11 weeks!

You will be very lucky if it shows up in 8 weeks!
Old 03-26-2011, 09:43 PM   #15

well i guess i'll have to keep my fingers crossed then...i need the trailer end of May for WSBK in Utah
Old 04-05-2011, 10:12 PM   #16

We have a 29CKV and have been happy so far. You're right, you need an electric tongue jack. We had the dealer throw it in and dual batteries. I don't use a WDH on my 2500HD DuraMax, I do have air bags. Trailer tows great both loaded and unloaded. Only complaints so far are the 'D' rated tires; they should be 'E' rated and they were mfg in 2007. Also had a couple of brakes needing replacement; one was hanging up. Very Happy with the quality and fit/finish.
rcpd34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickfox View Post
We ordered our 386X12 on Feb 22 and were told the delivery would be in 6 - 8 weeks. We have now been told that delivery will be May7. That's almost 11 weeks!

You will be very lucky if it shows up in 8 weeks!

I still haven't heard a definite build date for mine yet...everything is still tentative unfortunately.

I did however spend a couple hours walking the local RV lots and browsing the XLR's on one lots and comparing them to the Raptors at the lots next door. I without a doubt have no regrets with my choice of the XLR...besides the build quality the floor plans just have a more welcoming and livable feeling to them. I found the Raptors to be stuffy and cheap.

There was a new 386X12 on the lots so i spent some time in there having not looked at the XLR 5'ers before and from what i can tell you will be happy even with the wait once it shows up...very nice unit.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:24 PM   #18

After lots of research we ordered a 300x12 and took delivery of it up in Ohio. Pulled it back to Texas and we are headed out Friday to deep South Texas for our first outing.
txwpd103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:28 PM   #19

So i got confirmation now that my trailer will be coming of the line next week and ready the first week of May. Now i just have to sort out how im going to get it up here...thats a long drive
Old 04-21-2011, 08:54 PM   #20

Delivery Time

Popik,

So you placed your order on 3/16 and expect delivery the first week of May is that correct?

Not too bad - that seems like about a 7 week period to build your unit.

I ordered my XLR on March 25th and we are hoping it will be ready for pickup the first three days in June. We will be near Ohio that week and would love to get it then.

Let us know how the PDI and pickup process goes.

Enjoy and be safe!
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote