Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #1

Xlr thunderbolt 386x12

Hello all. I new here and I'm about to purchase a used xlr 386x12 this month. Just wondering has anybody experienced any major problems or issues with this coach. I've had my aerolite for the past 5yrs and love it but I want wanted something to haul my bike with. Thanks.
RvMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
Phat Phrog

Congrats on your new to you RV!! We have the XLR Thunderbolt 35x12 and we love it! You have a great model!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to NotLookinBack5455
We just bought a Thunderbolt also! New to this type of RV'Ing, we had a c-class before! Our first big trip will be in May to my sons beach wedding in Destin, FL! We have it stored for now but are heading to the biggest parking lot we can find to practice loading/unloading our Harley!
NotLookinBack5455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your Thunderbolt.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:21 PM   #5
Just Love to Camp

Have a 386*12 and Love it. Had to work out some kinks but that is with all new campers.
Love the fact that my windows are facing my campsite verses someone elses.

If you have questions just ask will be happy to help in any way!

2012 F450
Virginia
TheFordes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:28 PM   #6
Phat Phrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFordes View Post
Have a 386*12 and Love it. Had to work out some kinks but that is with all new campers.
Love the fact that my windows are facing my campsite verses someone elses.

If you have questions just ask will be happy to help in any way!
I agree with the windows. We have no windows on the door side in the coach. We had the dealer cut a window for us. Now I can see who is at the door. I love our party dinette, and hope that the tinted windows are enough for privacy when we have to overlook the site beside us.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:31 PM   #7
Just Love to Camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVChick View Post
I agree with the windows. We have no windows on the door side in the coach. We had the dealer cut a window for us. Now I can see who is at the door. I love our party dinette, and hope that the tinted windows are enough for privacy when we have to overlook the site beside us.

Yes they do during the day. But at night others might not want to peek!!! Once the Party gets started!!!!

2012 F450
Virginia
Old 02-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #8

I guess we'd better keep our shades down at night, our parties for two can get a little out of control! We have found we can do the electric slide down the middle of the kitchen-LOL!
Old 02-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotLookinBack5455 View Post
I guess we'd better keep our shades down at night, our parties for two can get a little out of control! We have found we can do the electric slide down the middle of the kitchen-LOL!
WHAT? !?!?!
ii don't EVEN want to know! Lol
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #10

Empty nesters that live with 85 year old Dad!!! Maxine is our escape to the fun life!!!
Old 02-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #11
Phat Phrog

Quote:
Atta girl! LOVE the Electric Slide!
Old 02-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Empty nesters that live with 85 year old Dad!!! Maxine is our escape to the fun life!!!
I commend you for your energy then!
Party on!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #13

Will do! We will keep it down to a small roar! We are looking forward to meeting everyone!
Old 02-23-2013, 01:38 AM   #14
Senior moment Junior Memb

We are moving from a class A to a toy hauler, awaiting the delivery of a XLR 35X12. Looking forward to all the maneuvering challenges. Had no issues with the Southwind and have some experience with trailers (boats and work trailers), but a bit apprehensive about the teamwork involved in parking a large 5er.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a camera system for backing and/or traveling? I believe that i will miss the camera in the class A.
Thebottlesniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:51 AM   #15
Phat Phrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebottlesniper View Post
We are moving from a class A to a toy hauler, awaiting the delivery of a XLR 35X12. Looking forward to all the maneuvering challenges. Had no issues with the Southwind and have some experience with trailers (boats and work trailers), but a bit apprehensive about the teamwork involved in parking a large 5er.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a camera system for backing and/or traveling? I believe that i will miss the camera in the class A.
Congrats on your new 35x12! That is the same unit we own and love!! We had a class C before upgrading to the 5er. Our guy who did the PDI with us, took us to an empty parking lot and gave us pointers on driving, turning, backing up, and parking. Then we drove nearly 600 miles home from Ohio to Missouri.

We don't have a camera on ours, but we may consider one. My DH teases me that we are only allowed to camp in pull thru sites! We, like NotLookingBack, have never owned a TH before and have yet to ride our Harley's into it....so that, is another challenge to take!

Oh, you should try to come to the FROG Rally Goshen in IN, this August! It is exclusive to FR RV owners, and will be a blast! notLookingBack and I will be there with our XLR's, and hope to see more TH's there!
Old 02-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #16

[QUOTE=
Does anyone have a recommendation for a camera system for backing and/or traveling? I believe that i will miss the camera in the class A.[/QUOTE]

I had a bit of experience before we moved to the big fivers, but the wife still gets nervous whenever I have to park. I bought a set of small walkie talkies, and they work really well. She still gets nervous and tends to walk behind the rig so I can't see her , but when she isn't in view I just stop moving. She hasn't had to use too many hand signals and as yet hasn't shown me I'm #1:' And you can usually count on a neighbor to help. Last time in Va., an older guy came out to help the wife and while I was backing in he pulled the site post right out of the ground to give me more room. Only problem was I was using it as a guide to know where to tuen the rig
MightyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #17
Senior moment Junior Memb

Have personal radios, will begin training sessions. Have seen some camera setups advertised with a camera on the trailer rear and the wireless transmitter located in the front to facilitate signal strength. I'll try to find where they were. If i find something that works I'll post.

Now for the need to park with my tires on wood vs slab during storage. Any takers on this one?
:
Thebottlesniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #18

I can't wait for our first trip, which is in a few weeks, we have a trailer at Raccoon Lake, near Terre Haute, IN, we bought last summer. We are taking the TH up and park it in the campground while we put a new porch and fire pit. Thought it would be a good driving experience for us and a clean place to stay while the work is being done! We've only taken it from the dealer to the storage area, and have a lot to learn! My husband, says we will just use our Bluetooth phones to park, although he is all about pulling in and staying! I see a lot of KOA's in my future! Good luck, come to Goshen, it will be our first time, I've asked to park next to RVChick, it's gonna be a blast!
Old 02-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #19

Hello to all...thanks for all the replies...this what makes RVing a blast, the RV community...now if i can learn to do the electric slide in mine, i'll be good to go...haha...I pick mine up in 4 days so I'll keep ya'll posted...
RvMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #20
Just Love to Camp

Yeah so happy for ya!!!

2012 F450
Virginia