Old 10-01-2016, 06:03 PM   #31

I've towed with a srw Dodge and now a drw Ford and it is night and day difference in stability. No white knuckle driving even when being passed by semi's. Imo.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:20 AM   #32
PowerSports 'R' us

We are upgrading (from our 34' 5er/ Chevy 2500HD Duramax combo) to a 2017 XLR 422AMP at a whopping 45' (I think it's XLR's biggest!) and a tad over 20K loaded = new TV!

Now that the brand new Duramax has 20% more torque in 2017, also making it the new 'King of diesel pickups' in both HP and TQ, my choice was clear...
3500HD Dually/Duramax, High-Country Pkg (same as the Denali Pkg in GMC, just not that fugly front Denali chrome grill!), all fully loaded w sunroof... OTD priced at $70K. cough-cough

... On this note, I could not order in a short box, (in DRW) it has to be a long box. Being a Crew Cab also, this will be a long mother! Another note to this (lol), the long box gets the 5th wheel hitch (pin point) more forward (over the rear axle), the short boxes will have more sway naturally because they have the pin point further to the rear. So bad on the box length (for me), but some good comes of it as in the towing factor mentioned!

I know my current 2500HD SRW could handle it (most of the time), just that those Semi's and cross winds would be the real buzz kill. PLUS!, throw in the fact that your insurance Co. won't pay on a possible accident if your TV is underrated for what you're towing? Yep, insurance companies look into this and it's a legit (legal) reason for them not to pay you on an RV (in tow) related accident. So, cover yourself!

On the bigger is better statement above^^^^, I have also ordered-in the over-spec'd 25K lbs "drop in" puck hitch as well. My current 20K 5er hitch will be sold hopefully along with my 2500 SWD truck this spring.

TV's and weights thereof are a very important part of our RVing experience. Happy and safe travels everyone.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:45 AM   #33

Looks like 2017 is the year all the diesels got upgrades.

Duramax 445hp / 910 tq @ 1600rpm
Powerstroke 440hp / 925 tq @ 1800rpm
Cummins 385hp / 900 tq @ ??? Maybe 1700rpm
Old 12-09-2016, 12:39 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Speed1 View Post
We are upgrading (from our 34' 5er/ Chevy 2500HD Duramax combo) to a 2017 XLR 422AMP at a whopping 45' (I think it's XLR's biggest!) and a tad over 20K loaded = new TV!

Now that the brand new Duramax has 20% more torque in 2017, also making it the new 'King of diesel pickups' in both HP and TQ, my choice was clear...
3500HD Dually/Duramax, High-Country Pkg (same as the Denali Pkg in GMC, just not that fugly front Denali chrome grill!), all fully loaded w sunroof... OTD priced at $70K. cough-cough

... On this note, I could not order in a short box, (in DRW) it has to be a long box. Being a Crew Cab also, this will be a long mother! Another note to this (lol), the long box gets the 5th wheel hitch (pin point) more forward (over the rear axle), the short boxes will have more sway naturally because they have the pin point further to the rear. So bad on the box length (for me), but some good comes of it as in the towing factor mentioned!

I know my current 2500HD SRW could handle it (most of the time), just that those Semi's and cross winds would be the real buzz kill. PLUS!, throw in the fact that your insurance Co. won't pay on a possible accident if your TV is underrated for what you're towing? Yep, insurance companies look into this and it's a legit (legal) reason for them not to pay you on an RV (in tow) related accident. So, cover yourself!

On the bigger is better statement above^^^^, I have also ordered-in the over-spec'd 25K lbs "drop in" puck hitch as well. My current 20K 5er hitch will be sold hopefully along with my 2500 SWD truck this spring.

TV's and weights thereof are a very important part of our RVing experience. Happy and safe travels everyone.
I have had both short box sizes. 5.5 and 6.75 ft in both Crew Cab and Cab and Half. The fifth wheel hitch has to be mounted over the axle no matter what length of box you have. If it is mounted anywhere else that is wrong.

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:58 PM   #35

I have a 425 same length TV f350 dually only way to go and on a diesel it is all about the torque not as much the horse power I have several duramax in our work fleet crew cab dually and they lack a little in the punch when accelerating. I drive both but as far as towing my rig the Ford feels more stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 12-10-2016, 08:24 AM   #36
PowerSports 'R' us

Quote:
Originally Posted by egladden View Post
I have a 425 same length TV f350 dually only way to go and on a diesel it is all about the torque not as much the horse power I have several duramax in our work fleet crew cab dually and they lack a little in the punch when accelerating. I drive both but as far as towing my rig the Ford feels more stable.

I've had the Fords, nothing bad to say other than the mileage is not as good and they seem to all rust out quicker around the wheel wells, hence why they'll all be our plow trucks for my stores that much faster.

Wait till you hear, or actually WON'T hear! the new Duramax. And at idle, you'll swear it's not even running.

If the Ford could stay up on the mileage, I would of considered again as both are very close in HP and TQ, and yes I agree TQ is most important to us guys.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:25 AM   #37
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Good luck getting turned around......lol
Old 12-10-2016, 09:31 AM   #38

I have 2001f250 I need a football to turn and I have 2006 with 6.0 it had motor issues that got fixed but less space needed and I have a 2015 daily that is the cats meow can turn around anywhere plus I have 2015 and 2016 chey 1 ton crew cab duramax not bad trucks at all but as far as the rust the newer Fords don't have an issue all of mine are 100 % rust free. I remember when you bought a used Chevy you had to always check the cab mounts make sure they were in tack. I do also have a Dodge 1 ton. I like to share the wealth.

Old 12-11-2016, 05:34 PM   #39

Looking into trading in my 13 2500hd ccsb on a 16 3500hd dually. Chevy has got some good incentives right now and I don't want to own the first year new Duramax. Got one picked out and going to check it out this week. I had a 01 ford dually, so there not foreign in handling to me. I also drive a International 4300 reefer truck. I have the baby thunderbolt and have used my 2500 for the first year, but I know I'll feel better in the dually. Coming full circle I guess.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:57 AM   #40
PowerSports 'R' us

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Good luck getting turned around......lol
I wanted the dually... had to have an 8ft box
I wanted the sunroof... had to have a Crew Cab

Not my rules, but seeing how I have the same truck now but in SRWD, this will be no different for me, plus I have a CDL, I'm use to bigger setups

Tags
5th wheel, truck, wheel, xlr