Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2016, 09:49 PM   #41

Buy a dually, you won't regret it! All of those who tow thunderbolts with SRW trucks that are over 17k lbs are putting not you and your families life in danger but everyone else's on the road.
y0manda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:46 AM   #42

I always enjoy reading about our truck choices, especially when the responses are thoughtful, like this thread has been. One thing I do not see discussed is the rear differential alternatives and how that relates to the tow capabilities of the trucks. I previously posted this link on safe towing and it seems to do a good job of looking at all the tow considerations when choosing a truck.

I would enjoy any opine on this thread related to the various differential choices.

Thanks for all the info. Safety first and foremost has been my most important consideration, as I am sure it is everyone's.
Jon A
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tow Vehicle Article from Mag.pdf (520.7 KB, 41 views)
Jon A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:02 AM   #43
Georgia Rally Coordinator

In Chevy case you really do not have a choice. You buy a diesel and you get 3.73 you buy gas no matter 1 ton or 3/4 you get 4:10. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:32 AM   #44
PowerSports 'R' us

Safety is def a concern of course. The main thing with the dually; if you get a blow out, you still are 'up' for a safer side road entry (hopefully it doesn't take the other tire out w it of course). In reviewing many video's towing heavy GooseN's, 5ers and heavy construction trailers/equip, it clearly seems the 3500HD is capable, but the dually would certainly provide more headroom.

We would still be in specs weight wise with a 3500HD/Duramx SRW. It would border it and then some if the 422AMP was maxed fully w water, grays and blacks, gear etc.

Last night. the wife asked about parking the dually and long bed when site seeing or grocery shopping?. I said it will not be nearly as sleek as the 6.5ft box with SRW. I have 'turning radius' as my main wishlist on the SRW, my wife now has hers, and I can't say they are non considerations either.
{happy wife... saying goes here}
Top_Speed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:38 PM   #45

I pull our 420AMP with a 2012 Dodge dually diesel. I can't imaging using anything less as you can definitely feel that 5th wheel behind you.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:18 PM   #46

"I know a sharp lawyer would have that checked and if you were overloaded could make that an issue."

I suspect a dull lawyer would pick that up as well.

However, we have the "no-big-deal over payload" group that will of course disagree with payload as being an issue.

Since I have not had the over payload accident experience and having that argument being made in court against me, I can only dream of winning after being over payload in an accident, so I can join the no-big-deal group.

===============
As to drive ability, my conclusion after demoing a ram 3500 dually, ram 3500, and ram 2500, is that there is a big (daily driver) difference between rear leaf springs and coil springs.

Such a difference that I have contemplated towing a 135k airstream classic behind a ram 2500 and pretty much given up on matching a high quality/heavy 5th to a ram 2500...though the no problem payload group would likely have a good laugh at me.

So, I think a high quality dp or super C Dynamax DX3 are still the top two on my list at this point, being naive, a scar monger, etc.

But I really liked the ram 2500 with dual use as a daily driver...maybe a used Airstream classic as a third option???
Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:36 AM   #47

This debate could go on and on. Whatever you are comfortable with is the key. It comes down to feeling it on the road and safety. I put safety first so here is the story where I come from.

It appears that most of the responses here don't live in the West coast area. I live in NV and there are laws in place for GVWR and GCWR. These are the important ones where I live. There are also laws in place for drivers licenses for towing recreational trailers.
If you tow a trailer over 10K GVWR then you must have a J endorsement on your drivers license. The J endorsement is only good up to 26K GCWR, so after that you must have a Class A drivers license, yes a CDL!.
With that said, your GVWR and GCWR must not exceed the TV ratings. Most older, 2010 and older, TV will not meet these ratings. My 2006 F350 CC/DRW did not meet these requirements.
I was one that did not concern myself with this until I had a personal experience with it. There was an accident, I was not in it, but I stopped to help. Well, good deeds never go unpunished. I was in CA and while I was "helping" a CHIP was looking at my rig...why during an accident I don't know, and then questioned ME, ya just trying to help. I received a very large ticket for not only driving a rig that wasn't rated for my trailer but also not having the proper drivers license to drive said rig.

So, I learned a couple of things that day. I think you can figure them out but the important one relating to this topic is if the highway patrol will look at your vehicle even though you are not involved then you can bet on them looking at it when you are, as well as the lawyers, and without proper ratings and licenses, not matter what, YOU WILL BE AT FAULT. In the end I chose an F450 and got my CDL.

My apologies for the long lecture but if it helps someone in my neck of the woods stay safe, and in turn keeping me safe, then mission accomplished.
stumpy61799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:36 AM   #48

Great post.

Some will listen, others will probably ignore because they know better.

In California, with all the increased vehicular traffic, CHIP monitoring, constant driver challenges from other drivers, and ongoing need to be sharp to avoid accidents...safety is becoming increasingly important in my mind, as floor plan considerations.

Dynamax may be properly positioned for some sales growth.
Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:49 PM   #49

Made my last trip to CA in the 1980s before the state became overly strange. No desire to return.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:04 AM   #50
PowerSports 'R' us

I didn't change my order and kept the dually staged for build.

I do have a CDL, but it is not required here in NY for a 20K lb trailer. I also think some really good points were presented here and I understand about both sides having their opinion. All good, hope everything works out for each and in their own state and rules.

Top_Speed1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, truck, wheel, xlr