Old 11-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #21

Understand your dilemma! We were able to get a low interest home equity loan to acquire the tow vehicle and the toyhauler. Interest rates do play a large role, no doubt. As you said earlier, time is on your side, but you should be prepared for just that special moment when a "too good to be true" deal comes your way. While looking for our toyhauler this spring we missed out on a deal (by 1/2 hour) on a 2011 Jayco Recon ZX, used twice, list price was $75k. The guy was going to file for divorce and wanted to sell it that weekend for $32K. I called the guy in NC and he had just sold it! Just need to be ready when something like that happens. Seems you have a good head on your shoulders and will end up with just what you want! I'll keep an eye out in the event an XLR comes up that you might want to check out.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

You are doing the right thing, to think about it from all angles. We are living in the RV while we build another smaller home out here in the country. I am trying to talk the DH into retiring so we can travel for awhile before we rebuild. As for insulation, it was Important to me too. Living in an RV is nothing like a home. You have to make changes......like using space heaters at night instead of using propane (although removing them and filling are no problem). I just turn the furnace down low at night, then up in the mornings to take the chill out. We are set up with the main slide facing south, and the sun shines perfectly in the main coach and warms up nicely! We are currently making it full hook up outside now, so we don't have to drive the rig to dump and fill with water. Next time we move her, it will be to head out on a road trip! Did I mention full hook up! Yeah a shower every day instead of rationing to save water!!

RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #23

Keep the pics of your homestead progress coming! Gives the rest of us motivation and something to dream about! I'm 55 with 17 and 12 year old boys and a wonderful girlfriend who loves the outdoors much as I do. Can't see retiring anytime soon but certainly looking to have fun before age gets to me.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONXS69 View Post
Understand your dilemma! We were able to get a low interest home equity loan to acquire the tow vehicle and the toyhauler. Interest rates do play a large role, no doubt. As you said earlier, time is on your side, but you should be prepared for just that special moment when a "too good to be true" deal comes your way. While looking for our toyhauler this spring we missed out on a deal (by 1/2 hour) on a 2011 Jayco Recon ZX, used twice, list price was $75k. The guy was going to file for divorce and wanted to sell it that weekend for $32K. I called the guy in NC and he had just sold it! Just need to be ready when something like that happens. Seems you have a good head on your shoulders and will end up with just what you want! I'll keep an eye out in the event an XLR comes up that you might want to check out.
That was a he77 of a deal! Half price. I'm so sorry you missed it. Jayco makes a great rig. Where did you spot that gem?

You must have read my mind a while back...lol. I actually did think about the possibility that a screamin' deal could come before we were ready to do it, and we wouldn't be ready to at least throw some money down on it and pay for taxes and documents. It's possible! So, I've been stuffing money aside just as a precaution. One thing we do need to do before we could even bring one home - and we could borrow a suitable TV if a screamin' deal comes along before then - is to "bulletproof" our 6.0 Powerstroke. We want to get stainless steel head bolts and an EGR delete kit done on it. $Cha-Ching$! That's scheduled for March, most likely.

Oh, and thanks for being willing to keep an eye open for us. That's very generous of you and greatly appreciated.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #25

Yes the Jayco was a heck of deal. More that we wanted to pay for our first RV, but a deal we could not pass up. I even offered to wire the guy a deposit in case the other buyer didn't show, but he said he was local in NC (probably a dealer) and was already on the way. I found it on Craigslist!

And now you just bridged into my 17 year old son's domain! He lives and breaths Ford Diesels. I have a 1995 Crew cab 4WD with the 7.3/5 speed that he is going to inherit, owned since new. We purchased a 2008 F450 4x4 with the 6.4 auto and 4:30 gears. He's already got me to put 5 inch exhaust, SCT Tuner, DPF delete, and now EGR delete. What a sweet ride. The tuner and exhaust made a huge difference! You hardly know that 42ft. 5th wheel is back there. So if you have any questions on your 6.0, pass them along and I'll get you his feedback. If he (Nick) spent half the time on school work that he does on the Ford diesel forums he'd be a straight A student. He also has plenty of Ford "diesel" buddies who know their stuff. I should know, I spent an entire day with him in the Ford truck section at Carlisle this past summer!

Let me know if you need anything...
Old 11-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVChick View Post
You are doing the right thing, to think about it from all angles. We are living in the RV while we build another smaller home out here in the country. I am trying to talk the DH into retiring so we can travel for awhile before we rebuild. As for insulation, it was Important to me too. Living in an RV is nothing like a home. You have to make changes......like using space heaters at night instead of using propane (although removing them and filling are no problem). I just turn the furnace down low at night, then up in the mornings to take the chill out. We are set up with the main slide facing south, and the sun shines perfectly in the main coach and warms up nicely! We are currently making it full hook up outside now, so we don't have to drive the rig to dump and fill with water. Next time we move her, it will be to head out on a road trip! Did I mention full hook up! Yeah a shower every day instead of rationing to save water!!
Thank you for the confirmation.Rationing water...yes, I can see how that'd would get old in a hurry. And you're right - things would be different. Perhaps you could set up a rain barrel until you get some running water.

You're living my dream/plan! I have big ideas about our wooded property even deeper in the country than we are. A totally self-sufficient homestead; the time to get out and live life, travel, have time for hobbies, all before I get too old...that's the plan, anyhow. So, I can certainly see why you are encouraging your husband to retire early. Is anything holding him back?

Life's so short... I didn't see it until I hit my 40's. I did everything bass ackwords....had kids, bought a house, then went to college at 36! Now that I see how I should've done things, I've got a plan.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:18 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONXS69 View Post
Yes the Jayco was a heck of deal. More that we wanted to pay for our first RV, but a deal we could not pass up. I even offered to wire the guy a deposit in case the other buyer didn't show, but he said he was local in NC (probably a dealer) and was already on the way. I found it on Craigslist!

And now you just bridged into my 17 year old son's domain! He lives and breaths Ford Diesels. I have a 1995 Crew cab 4WD with the 7.3/5 speed that he is going to inherit, owned since new. We purchased a 2008 F450 4x4 with the 6.4 auto and 4:30 gears. He's already got me to put 5 inch exhaust, SCT Tuner, DPF delete, and now EGR delete. What a sweet ride. The tuner and exhaust made a huge difference! You hardly know that 42ft. 5th wheel is back there. So if you have any questions on your 6.0, pass them along and I'll get you his feedback. If he (Nick) spent half the time on school work that he does on the Ford diesel forums he'd be a straight A student. He also has plenty of Ford "diesel" buddies who know their stuff. I should know, I spent an entire day with him in the Ford truck section at Carlisle this past summer!

Let me know if you need anything...
Ahhh...Craigslist. I check there every once in a while. I bet your financier wouldn't have batted an eye at financing that with all the built-in equity! That's too bad, but hey, it could happen again. That's how I look at it anyhow.

The Diesel...well, that's more my fiance's department. I will certainly pass along that offer to him, and I know he'll appreciate that. He knows about big Diesels because he's a truck driver, but not Powerstrokes. I know enough to be dangerous because I researched as soon as he told me he wanted one. I'm so anal about researching decisions, in case you didn't notice! Ha! Anyhow, he's got big ideas about tuners and chips, and he did manage to get a bigger exhaust via a trade, but I just want to do what we have to do to it so we can pay it off and put money back for a toy hauler ASAP! Can I shake him?

Michelob, please!
Old 11-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #28

We purchased our XLR 27HFS about six weeks ago after alot of research on this site and others. The wife and I both ride Harleys and a toy hauler was a must. I also wanted something we could tow with a 1/2 ton Toyota Tundra. I did not want to have to buy a another new truck.

Well after seeing the photos I wish I had bought a new truck !!!!!!
Old 11-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaboom View Post
We purchased our XLR 27HFS about six weeks ago after alot of research on this site and others. The wife and I both ride Harleys and a toy hauler was a must. I also wanted something we could tow with a 1/2 ton Toyota Tundra. I did not want to have to buy a another new truck.

Well after seeing the photos I wish I had bought a new truck !!!!!!
LOL!!

Yes, at first I was wishing we hadn't had to buy a bigger truck either (we did have a GMC Sierra 1500), but then I saw the wisdom in toy haulers and now I'm really glad we ended up with an F-350 turbo Diesel!
Old 11-20-2012, 07:28 PM   #30

O.K. You got my attention with this thread. I have the same XLR that RV Chick has, matter of fact we've been PM'ing for a while. We're between Allentown and Quakertown, so if ya ever want to see the beast up close and personal give me a yell. We were in Myrtle Beach with it this year, and the DW started giving tours of it!!!! When we got ours, the sales guy told me over the phone it had the arctic pac, but when we got there I saw it didn't. I only wanted the extra insulation, not the tank heaters because we don't camp when it's that cold. We were just out at Mountain Springs (near Hamburg) for Halloween over Oct. 12-14. Got a little chilly, but like Rv Chick we use a space heater in garage. The fireplace actually has a heater in it and during the day it's plenty to keep it warm. Heater only ran a little at night. When we were in MB, it was over 100 degrees the first week, and with 2 AC units it stayed cool enough, but they ran a lot. We had a Raptor before this and it was nothing but problems. I had a couple minor things with this one, but they are mostly resolved. We got this from Boat N RV in Hamburg,and I wouldn't send anyone to them- their service is pathetic! As far as weight, this is one of the lighter TH's. I had them remove the generator, 1-for the weight, 2-I can't see spending $5000 for a generator I would use once or twice a year. Yeah, I know it would have been nice after Sandy hit, but we had the batteries charged up so we could use the shower and make coffee. Friend of mine is a Generac dealer, so wife wants me to get one to swap back and forth. This getting hit with a storm every year knocking out the power for a week is gettin OLD!!! Only issue I have now is another member on here brought my attention to the 380 AMP. I would absolutely have one of those in a heartbeat, but it's too heavy for my truck! And talk about depreciation, imagine what I'd lose on a 1 year old rig we used 5 times! Good luck in your search.