Old 11-21-2012, 09:22 PM   #31
Just Love to Camp

Miboje,

Welcome to the Forums!! I have PM RVChick and MightyMike. I have the 386x12 xlr. We bought it back in March 2012. They both can tell you I HAVE had problems with the old girl (yes I named her Bertha The Leadsled) but LOVE HER. We camped all summer everyother weekend from March till Nov. Spent 4th week in DC and 2 weeks at MB. Insulation was never a problem. I have 3 AC but like to keep my rig at 68 at the beach. Had 2 AC in my 31' TT if that tells you anything. Love the Logs and we use them alot when it is cold. When I put the 3rd AC in the garage I had a heat strip put in it and it ROCKS!!!! Me and DH thinking about getting a heat stip placed in the Master AC so we can be full electric. Since it would save on Propane. I see where you Live in PA. I am in VA. Please go and check out www.rv007.com. They are in Ringold VA right outside of Danville. They do have a used XLR on the site as of last week. If you go there ask for Zack Reeves. They are a GREAT PEOPLE and easy to deal with. This is a whole sale camper dealer. They carry many different kinds. Raptors, Cyclones, Workplay ETC. They had almost 30 to 40 on the site of all different layout for us to look at. I just fell in LOVE with Bertha when I walked in the door. Had to take her home. I will tell you that when it says to call for the true price there is a difference than MAP pricing that they have to list. Also when we went to the lot and look (which they didn't know that I called) the price was even cheeper. Like $7,000 difference. Also they have more that what is listed on there site. They sell close to 80 campers a month!!!! So going there is the best. Also you can see for yourself the different layouts and models and brands. I wish you luck!!! It is just like buying another house.

Side note RONXS69 LOVE THE 1995 7.3 and yes I am a girl!!! We have a 04' F350 CC long bed and DH is always looking for a these older trucks. He want to go back!!!!!!! His wonderful wife loves them to. If it was me my son would be getting the newer truck and we would keep the 1995!!!!!!!

Sorry so wordy. and I ramble alot. Yes I am blonde If you have anymore questions just Let me know.. Might be a few days but I will get back to you. Now I really wish Bertha didn't have her new dress (cover)on I want to be camping!!!!!

Old 11-22-2012, 05:39 AM   #32

Rv Chick and TheFordes- proving once again what great people you can meet here. Hope I get to meet you all in person one day- that would be SWEET. Now I too am ready to get back on the road. April can't come fast enough!!! Now that most of my work on the house is done, the wifey (AKA The General- because me and the kids all know who is really in charge around here!) is saying we are camping ALOT this year. Gotta show this thing off- nit really is awesome

Old 11-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #33

Our 2013 XLR 35x12

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents. We special ordered our XLR35x12 back in May and picked it up this past July. We've been traveling ever since! We've put on about 8,000 miles so far in 4.5 months -- traveling through the Northwest. Our RV is exactly the same as the previous pics by RVChick but we did get the Artic Package ... and I'm glad we did. We've seen temps at night dip into the mid 20s several times. I just switch on the tank heaters, disconnect external water, turn on the electric fireplace and run one or two space heaters. We only use the propane heater if we've been out for the evening and come home to a really cold RV. That way we only run through a tank of propane about every 5 weeks or so from the hot water heater & stove use.

A note on space heaters -- we only use those on the low 1,000 watt settings to stay safely within line amperage. Watts = Volts x Amps so a 120v heater pulling 1,000 watts is drawing 8.3 amps. At 1,500 watts, it draws 12.5 amps -- too close to the 15 amp max for each line for my liking.

We've had a few minor problems, some I've fixed & some dealer fixed. Examples
- water pump stopped working (new pump - I fixed it for $84)
- broken bolt on landing gear leg (dealer fixed - no charge)
- exhaust fan over stove went out ($30 motor)
- motor on Swintek slide stalls
- nail in RV tire (patched for $30)

So all told, I've put out a little over $100 and had dealers fix 2 things in 4.5 months. All in all, that's pretty good for all the shaking and pot holes we've traveled through in 8,000 miles of towing! We remain very happy with our purchase. Owning an RV isn't a free ride -- but it's a fun one!
danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Danno2u!! So happy to hear another happy XLR Thunderbolt owner!! I was wondering how nice the Arctic Pack was. I have a question.....I thought we were told that when we are plugged into shore power, that the hot water would switch to electric instead of propane, but I am on shore power and it is using propane to heat the water.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVChick
Hi Danno2u!! So happy to hear another happy XLR Thunderbolt owner!! I was wondering how nice the Arctic Pack was. I have a question.....I thought we were told that when we are plugged into shore power, that the hot water would switch to electric instead of propane, but I am on shore power and it is using propane to heat the water.
As far as I know you still have to turn the electric switch on manually. Should be a black toggle switch on the lower left hand corner of the water heater. Just take your outside panel off and you should see it.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotocrossCamper View Post
As far as I know you still have to turn the electric switch on manually. Should be a black toggle switch on the lower left hand corner of the water heater. Just take your outside panel off and you should see it.
Just to clarify, the switch on the outside is a safety device- so you don't turn the water heater on without having water in it. That would burn up the heating element. Rv Chick- the propane burner runs as a quick recovery method when you use hot water. The electric isn't fast enough to keep up with the demand because the tanks are small. Uses propane so after your looooong hot shower, there's still hot water for hubby!
Old 12-01-2012, 12:34 AM   #37

Both the above posts are correct. On the 35x12, the hot water switch on the inside controls only the propane water heater. You have to flip the safety-tied switch on the heater unit itself to run the electric heater. That is on the right front outside of the unit. Both the propane and electric element can be used simultaneously or independently. Both are thermostatically controlled to heat the water to a preset level. Just be darn sure there's water in the tank if you are using the electric element as it will burn up in a jiffy if the tank is empty for some reason. I tested the electric element one time then turned it back off. I really have no plans to use it unless propane quadruples in price I guess! If you really want hot water on demand all the time, electric is the way to go. But we heat up the tank in the AM before showers and in the PM before washing dishes -- about 30 minutes a day total on the propane.

Oh, one more thing -- I checked my electric meter and I believe the electric hot water heater pulled around 12 amps. So factor that in with whatever else you might be running at the time.

Danno
Old 12-01-2012, 12:49 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVChick View Post
Hi Danno2u!! So happy to hear another happy XLR Thunderbolt owner!! I was wondering how nice the Arctic Pack was.
Oh... I didn't answer your question. When it is 25 degrees outside, we can keep the inside of the RV in the mid-60s using only the electric fireplace heater and 2 1,000 watt electric space heaters -- one in the garage (for the dog ) and one in the main bedroom. The interior walls are cool to the touch but not cold. The biggest place that we lose heat is through the garage floor when it is not covered with the carpet. We also bought 3 wool-covered foam inserts to plug in the roof vents (about $9 each at Walmart but we only saw them at one store). These seem to help. I think they will be even better in summer when a lot of heat comes in those skylights.

As to the tank heaters, there are about 6-7 of them. All are DC operated. Each big tank has one (Black, 2 grey, fresh water) and there are smaller elements on the drain lines. The manual says just turn the switch on when the temps are getting cold and the heaters will automatically come on/off to keep the lines & tanks above freezing.

On an unrelated note, one thing that surprised us on the RV is the washer drain line (in the garage) drains straight to the discharge point. It does NOT drain to a grey tank. We found this out when we tried to wash clothes without being hooked up to a sewer. The closed discharge point caused the washer water to back up and overflow into the garage. DOH. Nothing in the user manual tells you this and there are no labels back there saying only run the washer with an open line to the sewer.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:27 AM   #39

Hey guys, nice to see a fairly local thread :-) and Mike hello from right down 663 in Gilbertsville! I am in the process of looking to trade in my standard flagstaff TT for a nice toy hauler as well. You guys have some beauties to say the least! My TV is a 3/4 ton so I am not looking for anything quite that big nor can I afford it but I am hoping to get something soon. My current dilemma is the toy I plan to haul is a Kawaskaki Teryx4 which is a 4 seater UTV and is 10'6" long. Just long enough where I have to go with a 12' garage. T e problem is finding something within my weight range and price range. I also need to find it somewhere that takes trades so by all means please feel free to recommend a place if you know one. Mike I have heard similar stories off boat n RV. We stop in there once in a while if we are at cabelas just to poke around and typically a kid just out of high school approaches us trying to sell me something I know more about then he does. Oh well.. We will keep looking.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Danno2u - thanks for the scoop on making sure when using the washer/dryer! I would not have thought of that at all!!