Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2015, 01:58 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejd235 View Post
PH & NS,
I only have ~135k on my 2500HD but I will be looking for a new 3500 in a couple of years. She has been a great truck but is starting to show her age (2004...all in the MN salt years...). I'm afraid all the washing and waxing I did over the years could not prevent her under caritage from starting to rust. She runs like a top but the bottom half is uh, undesirable... The current bid to replace the lower rusted parts is more than KBB says she is worth. Time to start looking for a good high school kids that has time on his hands to do some body work, because mechanically she is just fine.
being in the west has it's rewards besides a beautiful place to live . my 2003 is very clean . now my concern is this winter i'm spending in Fl after one month i noticed some rust showing up on my bike yuk . will have to do a daily/weekly clean wax and inspect . the 2500 has been taken care of and most all underneath , painted and or undercoated . so hope it does not show the signs of rust the bike is showing . need to have this truck at least another couple yrs . on the 29 i have wd40 all exposed metal underneath and will continue to do so for the whole winter .

now to see if they make a set of these for our 29's
http://dexteraxle.com/e_z_flex_equalizers
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:03 PM   #82

Just keep in mind that those claiming the Hensley and ProPride are overrated rarely if ever have used one. There is no consensus on what sway really is. Some people will tell you they have no sway even if the trailer is wagging like a happy dogs tail. Others pass a semi in a 40mph crosswind and get a twitch and consider it a "white knuckle moment." If you have a lot of truck I agree that the HA or PP are not a necessity. But those that don't have a dedicated TV and use their everyday rig and load it close to capacity WILL notice a difference with either over any of the friction based systems. As to the Andersen, it does look promising, but in my experience a 1/2 ton will feel very light in the front end if you can't restore most of the weight to it. And the consensus seems to be that the Andersen just isn't able to restore much weight to the front axle. So, I wouldn't recommend it for heavy TWs, especially on trucks running near max.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:35 PM   #83

dustman , it's not the overrated it's the over priced . also if you're overloaded on the to light a tv side then paying 2500 bucks for a hitch is just a band aid . there is where safety comes in . when i see 1/2 tons pulling a 10,000 lbs tt or th and the truck bed is loaded no hitch will compensate for being over gcvw . i agree the andersen does not return full weight transfer to the front wheels . but then again these trucks are designed to haul weight and the front will rise a little bit and it does not affect handling or safety . in fact i ride very level with the TH hooked up without any wd . the wd just adds a measure of firmness and eliminates any kind of sway that may have otherwise popped up . while towing to a scale without the use of the andersen i towed great except noticed excessive bounce and some side to side motion, with the andersen hooked up i notice nothing but a smooth tow !
If you need a wd to get your headlights back down then you really need a new truck not a new wd
Old 11-13-2015, 03:06 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
dustman , it's not the overrated it's the over priced . also if you're overloaded on the to light a tv side then paying 2500 bucks for a hitch is just a band aid . there is where safety comes in . when i see 1/2 tons pulling a 10,000 lbs tt or th and the truck bed is loaded no hitch will compensate for being over gcvw . i agree the andersen does not return full weight transfer to the front wheels . but then again these trucks are designed to haul weight and the front will rise a little bit and it does not affect handling or safety . in fact i ride very level with the TH hooked up without any wd . the wd just adds a measure of firmness and eliminates any kind of sway that may have otherwise popped up . while towing to a scale without the use of the andersen i towed great except noticed excessive bounce and some side to side motion, with the andersen hooked up i notice nothing but a smooth tow !
If you need a wd to get your headlights back down then you really need a new truck not a new wd
I'd have to say that the PP or HA are no more overpriced at $2500 than the hitches we are talking about are at $500. They have some HD components and they are more complex. Very well built pieces of equipment. And I didn't say anything about being overloaded. I said when you load close to max. Using your logic, we should all just get a Mack and then we wouldn't need a WDH at all.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:49 PM   #85

XLR weight distribution hitch/sway bar ?

OT - Steve ya it's crazy how fast vehicles rust out in the Midwest- east coast - I'm on sand - salt water almost every weekend in the fall winter - and in WA we don't have rust issues- maybe it's all that fresh Rain we get up here lol

I'm 2 years away from a 3500 or 4500 - too waiting to pay house off first. Not for towing the Hyperlight but for a fiver
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:10 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I'd have to say that the PP or HA are no more overpriced at $2500 than the hitches we are talking about are at $500. They have some HD components and they are more complex. Very well built pieces of equipment. And I didn't say anything about being overloaded. I said when you load close to max. Using your logic, we should all just get a Mack and then we wouldn't need a WDH at all.

Using your logic, we should all just get a Mack.

so what's close to max 5lbs under rated gcvw . what's to close to max is when you hook up your TT to your TV and you light up the tree tops . just because your truck say you can tow 12000lbs doesn't mean it can do it well as is the case with a lot of 1500
now as far as PP or HA being no more over priced then the $500 counterparts is a matter of opinion and nothing more
Old 11-13-2015, 04:11 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocrider50 View Post
I have a 29 as well and struggled with the many configurations (loaded, unloaded) and finally paid the big bucks for the Hensley hitch. As an engineer its the only thing that makes engineering mathematical sense, all others must use some form of friction to dampen what the Hensley fundamentally stops. All other suggestions boil down to dampen the sway (weight distribution, heavier truck, friction bars, etc), only two designs eliminate it. Only one is still in production with ProPride and Hensley. Without the friction loss my FE went up quite a bit as well. Not enough to pay for the hitch but noticeable.
And your towing with a ?
Old 11-13-2015, 04:49 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Harder View Post
OT - Steve ya it's crazy how fast vehicles rust out in the Midwest- east coast - I'm on sand - salt water almost every weekend in the fall winter - and in WA we don't have rust issues- maybe it's all that fresh Rain we get up here lol

I'm 2 years away from a 3500 or 4500 - too waiting to pay house off first. Not for towing the Hyperlight but for a fiver
PH,
Exactly my delay (paying off the house and then getting a fiver...)...
Old 11-13-2015, 06:21 PM   #89

We have tire brand cults, truck brand cults, trailer brand cults now hitch brand cults... Isn't anything sacred?

Yes NS, there is an ez flex for our trailer. Seems like a worthwhile upgrade.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:57 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezyhillfarm View Post
I knew a girl with that problem...
chrissybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:42 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
We have tire brand cults, truck brand cults, trailer brand cults now hitch brand cults... Isn't anything sacred?

Yes NS, there is an ez flex for our trailer. Seems like a worthwhile upgrade.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm an avid motorcyclist and just ask "tire brand" or worse yet "best oil" and pop some popcorn and watch the fireworks.

I have a blue ox. Sucks.

I tow a 22' enclosed with #9000 w/o and WD hitch and it doesn't move unless I tell it too. I have a XLR tow hauler, and it is like carrying plywood on a windy day.

I'm very interested in the HA or PP. if I can get her to settle down behind me, that'd be great.
Orange Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:03 AM   #92

Quote:
Using your logic, we should all just get a Mack.

so what's close to max 5lbs under rated gcvw . what's to close to max is when you hook up your TT to your TV and you light up the tree tops . just because your truck say you can tow 12000lbs doesn't mean it can do it well as is the case with a lot of 1500
now as far as PP or HA being no more over priced then the $500 counterparts is a matter of opinion and nothing more

You're the one that stated the PP is overpriced. Once again, you have zero experience with one so it seems you really have nothing to offer in regards to the PP or HA other than personal opinion.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:51 AM   #93

After reading and commenting in this thread, I've got the answer. The best hitch is the one that works for you.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:50 AM   #94

I try any one you want me to, if your buying! Otherwise the inferior one I own works just hunkie

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:57 AM   #95

WW
Thanks . my next up grade will be the e-z flex equalizers . still wish i could get an 1" or 2' lift . after the ez flex then i'll move on the axles and springs
Old 11-14-2015, 12:00 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
You're the one that stated the PP is overpriced. Once again, you have zero experience with one so it seems you really have nothing to offer in regards to the PP or HA other than personal opinion.

seems all anyone offers is opinions based on their own thoughts and personnel feelings . i still say 2500 for a hitch of any type is over priced . I would in my opinion put that toward a new truck to handle the load .
Old 11-15-2015, 05:35 PM   #97

Quote:
seems all anyone offers is opinions based on their own thoughts and personnel feelings . i still say 2500 for a hitch of any type is over priced . I would in my opinion put that toward a new truck to handle the load .

Lots of people spend close to that on 5W hitches to get the best ride possible- so to each his own, I guess.

Tags
hitch, sway, weight, xlr