Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2015, 07:45 PM   #1

XLR weight distribution hitch/sway bar ?

Hello,

I'm new to the forum (and RVs) and am getting ready to order a 2016 XLR Hyperlite 29HFS travel trailer, and have questions about getting a weight distribution hitch and/or sway bars. We'll be pulling it with a 2011 diesel 3500 (single wheel, not dually) and our toys are motorcycles, with the heaviest two weighing about 1,300lbs combined. The dealer mentioned Blue Ox as the "best" weight distribution hitch they usually sell (for $695), but we didn't get into detail about that yet.

Do we need both a weight distribution hitch and sway bars, or can they be one in the same (a quick Google search makes me think yes)? I'm used to pulling a 30' gooseneck horse trailer, so I'm not as familiar with bumper pull hitch issues. What should we be looking for? Which are the good ones, and the ones to stay away from? Are there some that you can't back up with if they are connected? Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendation, experiences, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Being new to RVing, I'm sure I'll have a bunch of additional questions, so I'll say thanks in advance for your help and patience with a newbie

And can I just add, we are soooo excited and can't wait to make our first trip!

Thanks,
Chrissy
chrissybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissybird View Post
Hello,

I'm new to the forum (and RVs) and am getting ready to order a 2016 XLR Hyperlite 29HFS travel trailer, and have questions about getting a weight distribution hitch and/or sway bars. We'll be pulling it with a 2011 diesel 3500 (single wheel, not dually) and our toys are motorcycles, with the heaviest two weighing about 1,300lbs combined. The dealer mentioned Blue Ox as the "best" weight distribution hitch they usually sell (for $695), but we didn't get into detail about that yet.

Do we need both a weight distribution hitch and sway bars, or can they be one in the same (a quick Google search makes me think yes)? I'm used to pulling a 30' gooseneck horse trailer, so I'm not as familiar with bumper pull hitch issues. What should we be looking for? Which are the good ones, and the ones to stay away from? Are there some that you can't back up with if they are connected? Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendation, experiences, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Being new to RVing, I'm sure I'll have a bunch of additional questions, so I'll say thanks in advance for your help and patience with a newbie

And can I just add, we are soooo excited and can't wait to make our first trip!

Thanks,
Chrissy
you've got plenty of truck . make life easy and go with the andersen wd . no sway / no bounce /no grease and only weighs 60lbs. i pull my 29xlr with a chevy 2500hd gasser and the andersen works great , good company and they stand behind what they put out
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:31 PM   #3

Blue Ox always seems to be pushed by dealers. This is the hitch they make the most profit on and is certainly not the best. The two best without going to huge money like the ProPride or Hensley are either the Reese Straight Line Dual Cam or the Equalizer E4. They both perform identically and are all in one sway control and weight distribution. However the Equalizer E4 is a touch cheaper and MUCH easier to setup and use. I've used both extensively and would go for the Equalizer 100%. Should cost you about $450 delivered.
Karl4Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:54 PM   #4

I use the Reese straight line dual cam and I'm very happy with the performance. It's not quite the pro pride or Hensley but it doesn't cost as much either. With your truck you'll be ahead of the game with any wdh.

-R.Jones
Nitro 31FQSL
R3Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
you've got plenty of truck . make life easy and go with the andersen wd . no sway / no bounce /no grease and only weighs 60lbs. i pull my 29xlr with a chevy 2500hd gasser and the andersen works great , good company and they stand behind what they put out
I used the Andersen on my 27' TT. It worked very well. Easy to hook up and easy to handle. I would still be using it but, went to the 5er.
98 days camping 2017 98 days camping 2018
94 days camping 2019 49 days camping 2020
Wayne Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Joan View Post
I used the Andersen on my 27' TT. It worked very well. Easy to hook up and easy to handle. I would still be using it but, went to the 5er.

X2

2014 XLR27HFS
2006 Ford F450 Diesel Dually
2015 Harley Freewheeler Trike (Tara)
2004 Harley Road King Custom (Gemma)
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 10:24 PM   #7

I have used a 10K haul master from Harbor freight for the past 4 years on my 27HFS ($180) with no issues. I had to buy a new one for my new heavier trailer that I bought from etrailer.com 15K w/ sway control for $280 free shipping. They have them from $200 and up, just watch some don't include the shank which you have to buy.
mrdon003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:13 AM   #8

X3 for Anderson and I'm using a 1/2 ton Chevy quadrasteer to pull my HyperLight 29hfs zero sway over 75 mph too

Get out and Play Harder😛

2016 XLR Hyper Lite 29hsf - loaded picked up 3-24-2015😊
2008 Can Am Spyder
Kite Boarding is my Addiction - GOT WIND!
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:10 AM   #9

The Anderson is gaining quite the following and must work great for so many good reviews to be posted. You guys who have it should post the price for the OP so they can compare and contrast to the other systems mentioned. I'm betting it's the least expensive out there and works as good as it's more expensive counterparts.

On a side note, their "Ulitmate 5th Wheel Connection" is also gaining quite the following for it's light weight, ability to control chucking, and low price...
Karl4Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:21 AM   #10

the Andersen is 450 from hitches on line .worth every penny . quick set up . and like i posted early No Sway / No bounce . with standard wd hitches bounce is something they seem to increase / sway is there unless you but the extra anti sway stuff and in some cases need to remove it before backing up where the andersen eliminates both and no need to unhook to back up . did i mention only 60 lbs and no grease to get all over the place
Old 11-01-2015, 02:12 PM   #11

I'll admit I don't know anything about the Andersen system but I have the Blue Ox with my 27HFS and it performs flawlessly. You don't need to unhook it to back up. I had the Reese dual cam on my older 32' TT, it took all afternoon to set up after installing. The Blue Ox set up is a lot quicker and hook up is easier.
-2012 Harley Davidson Street Glide (his)
-2004 Harley Davidson Fatboy (hers)
RVBikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 02:23 PM   #12

I have extensive experience with Andersen, Equalizer, and Blue Ox. Just returned from a 5000 mile trip using Blue Ox. I row with a Sierra 2500HD which technically doesn't need a weight distributing hitch. What such a hitch does, is reduce sway, and transfer weight back to the front axle which greatly affects the ride quality.
Here's what I think.

Andersen - easy hookup, totally quiet, light, no grease. On the downside, the Andersen is incapable of transferring more than 50% of the weight lost from the front, back to the front. This results in the poorest ride of the three determined by my family in back to back comparison with Equalizer. The Andersen is short meaning you can't open the tale gate with the trailer attached.

Equalizer - grease, very noisy, but adequate weight transfer - about 87% of the lost weight back on. Superior ride compared to Andersen. Best handling of the three

Blue Ox - very easy hookup, best weight distribution - 116%, no sway, totally quiet, best ride. Handling not quite as good as Equalizer.

I presently own both an Equalizer 12,000 lb and the Blue Ox 15,000lb.

To me the handling trumps all else so I'm sticking with the Equalizer.

All setups where done by weighing at the cat scale.

One thing I highly recommend no matter your choice, get a 2 1/2 inch shank. A 2 inch shank with adapter is very sloppy and results in greatly reducing the ability of any of these to properly transfer weight, and reduce sway, because the head angle of the hitch head is reduced.

My Blue Ox is for sale if anyone is interested.
hunterrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:09 PM   #13
John513

I have blue ox and love it. That is what couches mainly sells and bought mine off Amazon cheaper. I also went with the 1500 lb bars. It's simple to use and I have experienced no sway what so ever.
JohnRiordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterrick View Post
I have extensive experience with Andersen, Equalizer, and Blue Ox. Just returned from a 5000 mile trip using Blue Ox. I row with a Sierra 2500HD which technically doesn't need a weight distributing hitch. What such a hitch does, is reduce sway, and transfer weight back to the front axle which greatly affects the ride quality.
Here's what I think.

Andersen - easy hookup, totally quiet, light, no grease. On the downside, the Andersen is incapable of transferring more than 50% of the weight lost from the front, back to the front. This results in the poorest ride of the three determined by my family in back to back comparison with Equalizer. The Andersen is short meaning you can't open the tale gate with the trailer attached.

Equalizer - grease, very noisy, but adequate weight transfer - about 87% of the lost weight back on. Superior ride compared to Andersen. Best handling of the three

Blue Ox - very easy hookup, best weight distribution - 116%, no sway, totally quiet, best ride. Handling not quite as good as Equalizer.

I presently own both an Equalizer 12,000 lb and the Blue Ox 15,000lb.

To me the handling trumps all else so I'm sticking with the Equalizer.

All setups where done by weighing at the cat scale.

One thing I highly recommend no matter your choice, get a 2 1/2 inch shank. A 2 inch shank with adapter is very sloppy and results in greatly reducing the ability of any of these to properly transfer weight, and reduce sway, because the head angle of the hitch head is reduced.

My Blue Ox is for sale if anyone is interested.
I would have to disagree with your thoughts on the andersen
1. you can open the tailgate on the truck while hook up to tt with the andersen . .
I do it all the time plenty of room /maybe not for ford or dodge

2. your correct it does not transfer 100% of the weight back to the front wheel which is why you need a truck capable like a 2500 or the OP's 3500
3.handling . i've towed over 4000 mile to date since last April and the truck handle great 0 issues with the andersen . most seem to think getting 100% or in your case more then 100% back to the front is needed
it's not only if you have a very undersized TV
Old 11-01-2015, 05:48 PM   #15

Andersen hitch

I pull a Catalina 303RLS with a F-150. The Andersen allows me to ride level with no sway at any posted speed. It is quiet, grease less, very light, and easy enough for my wife to hook up. T
The hitch is about the size of most, but I can stow the rest it in a 6" x6" bin.
I would like to go to a F-250 diesel on the future.
ccsvolsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:14 PM   #16

I use a Huskey 12,000/1200 WDH and it works great. No noise, requires grease, but that's not a problem. I use the sway control bar and keeps the nice and steady. Pulling a long trailer, you should find a good, quality WDH and have it setup properly if you are unable to do it yourself.

Safe travels!!

elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:17 PM   #17

Thanks everyone for all of the great advice!!!!
chrissybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:38 PM   #18

I'm a one year travel trailer owner and reader of the FR Forum. This forum has been of tremendous assistance to me . . . read it daily and learn from it daily. Outstanding contributions from experienced folks. Forum comments led me to a decision to purchase a weight distribution/sway bar hitch. I see Andersen mentioned numerous times in today's forum and that is the brand I installed on a Vibe 6502. While it is effective the best feature is how quick it disconnects from the TV. Once the trailer is parked a pin is removed and the Andersen collar is off in less than one minute. After removing several other cables/chains the TV is trailer-free in less than five minutes after arriving at the camp.
Dennis A. Harp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:49 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
I would have to disagree with your thoughts on the andersen
1. you can open the tailgate on the truck while hook up to tt with the andersen . .
I do it all the time plenty of room /maybe not for ford or dodge

2. your correct it does not transfer 100% of the weight back to the front wheel which is why you need a truck capable like a 2500 or the OP's 3500
3.handling . i've towed over 4000 mile to date since last April and the truck handle great 0 issues with the andersen . most seem to think getting 100% or in your case more then 100% back to the front is needed
it's not only if you have a very undersized TV
I have been using the Andersen hitch all this year and been very pleased with it. Easy hookup and disconnect. With my GMC 2500HD, when hooked up to my 29HFS, I can open the tailgate just fine.

Having the right TV starts everything....
Old 11-02-2015, 03:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat View Post
Blue Ox always seems to be pushed by dealers. This is the hitch they make the most profit on and is certainly not the best. The two best without going to huge money like the ProPride or Hensley are either the Reese Straight Line Dual Cam or the Equalizer E4. They both perform identically and are all in one sway control and weight distribution. However the Equalizer E4 is a touch cheaper and MUCH easier to setup and use. I've used both extensively and would go for the Equalizer 100%. Should cost you about $450 delivered.
I would argue that the Blue Ox is in the same class as the other hitches you mentioned (with the exception of ProPride). It is also "all in one WDH and sway prevention" and in addition to the other two mentioned has a superior mechanism for attaching the bars (in my opinion), has less setup to do (no angling of head) and is silent.

From etrailer.com, I purchased, installed, and set up this hitch myself for $555.83.
2013 RAM 2500 CTD
2018 Prime Time Crusader 319RKT
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, sway, weight, xlr