Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2015, 08:20 AM   #21

The Propride or Hensley are the same basic design and have to be the Cadillac of hitches; everyone who has one highly recommends them. You will hear good things about Blue Ox.

Now, I have a Reese Dual-Cam with 1200# bars and it works very well when setup properly, but hitting the setup is tricky; it is fussy. But the $0.00 I have in it was motivation for me to figure out how to set it up it. Now that I've figured it out, I like it well enough.

All that said, there are several members (as you have read) that sound like Andersen spokespersons and I will take their word that it works well. It does sound like, from reading about it, that it in certain setups it can't transfer the amount of weight to the TV front axle that many other brands are able to do. Again, I don't have experience with it like Playharder and Norstar99 has had (examples of two trusted sources for this product).

When picking a WDH get one that can handle between 1000# and 1200# of tongue weight. You may already know (so excuse me if you do) but WDH distributes X number of pounds of tongue weight; and the amount depends on the tension you put the bars under or the chain on the Andersen); half to the trailer axle pair and half to the TV's front axle. What I do is take a measure before hooked up from a point on the truck to the ground; and try get the same measurement after hooked up and WDH set; this would be the same for the different brands.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:12 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
All that said, there are several members (as you have read) that sound like Andersen spokespersons and I will take their word that it works well. It does sound like, from reading about it, that it in certain setups it can't transfer the amount of weight to the TV front axle that many other brands are able to do. Again, I don't have experience with it like Playharder and Norstar99 has had (examples of two trusted sources for this product).
Hey, you don't trust me....

Quote:
When picking a WDH get one that can handle between 1000# and 1200# of tongue weight. You may already know (so excuse me if you do) but WDH distributes X number of pounds of tongue weight; and the amount depends on the tension you put the bars under or the chain on the Andersen); half to the trailer axle pair and half to the TV's front axle. What I do is take a measure before hooked up from a point on the truck to the ground; and try get the same measurement after hooked up and WDH set; this would be the same for the different brands.
WW
I do this same thing for my long trips (i.e. measuring...). For short trips, I have a good estimate on how much I'm hauling and how many "turns/threads" I need on the Andersen.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:57 PM   #23

Blue Ox; simple, clean, quiet & efficient.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:35 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa GLS View Post
That's the one we went with!
chrissybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissybird View Post
That's the one we went with!
Good investment!

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:05 PM   #26

Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:22 PM   #27

Let us know how it works at some point. Thank
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 11-04-2015, 07:24 PM   #28

Of course Steve ole buddy! You're my BFF !

I measure now... Like you. 5 links hanging puts the bumper where it was.. With 4 links its 1/2" high. 5 with the bike; 4 without. It ain't Rockettes science :beer:

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 11-04-2015, 11:41 PM   #29

XLR weight distribution hitch/sway bar ?

I still don't understand how some say the Anderson doesn't put enough weight to front axle - when you can measure the front end clearance compressing with each turn or tightening the nuts on the chains for the Anderson - I'm using a 1/2 ton Quadrasteer it's a very heavy 1/2 ton also has airbag suspension - have over 10k on Anderson WDH and it works perfectly my ride is level - now it did take a trip from Ohio to Seattle to get it dialed in - if you don't set it up level from the start then it don't work --- I mean trailer level and truck level once it's all hooked up and done ---

So easy to take on off and store - barely bigger than a normal slide in hitch---

Get out and Play Harder😛

2016 XLR Hyper Lite 29hsf - loaded picked up 3-24-2015😊
2008 Can Am Spyder
Kite Boarding is my Addiction - GOT WIND!
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:52 AM   #30

Quote:
Of course Steve ole buddy! You're my BFF !
Old 11-05-2015, 07:05 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa GLS View Post
You get the same with the Husky Center Line TS.

Bruce
Old 11-05-2015, 07:13 AM   #32

We have the Equalizer it works very well with sway and distribution. but it is a little noisy on the tighter corners.

One thing I've wondered about is the brackets on the trailer frame tend to move around a little. The bolts are not loose but I think the torque on the bars is pretty great so they tend to slide and twist a bit. I was thinking about putting a tack weld on them to hold them in place. Has anyone else had the same issue?
Berjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:47 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Harder View Post
I still don't understand how some say the Anderson doesn't put enough weight to front axle - when you can measure the front end clearance compressing with each turn or tightening the nuts on the chains for the Anderson - I'm using a 1/2 ton Quadrasteer it's a very heavy 1/2 ton also has airbag suspension - have over 10k on Anderson WDH and it works perfectly my ride is level - now it did take a trip from Ohio to Seattle to get it dialed in - if you don't set it up level from the start then it don't work --- I mean trailer level and truck level once it's all hooked up and done ---

So easy to take on off and store - barely bigger than a normal slide in hitch---

Get out and Play Harder😛

2008 Can Am Spyder
The Old Quadrasteer is really a 6.0 3/4 Ton truck! It is no longer made,saying it is a 1/2 Ton is quite confusing to people trying to decide on a TV! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:54 AM   #34

Just to further muddy the waters...

I've got a Fastway e2 setup - WDH & friction sway control; and it works very well.

Very similar to the Equalizer... Quick to take on and off, although it is a little on the heavy side.

Nights Camped 2016: 44

Nights Booked 2017: 11
Nights Camped 2017: 6
OntarioFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:10 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berjr1 View Post
We have the Equalizer it works very well with sway and distribution. but it is a little noisy on the tighter corners.

One thing I've wondered about is the brackets on the trailer frame tend to move around a little. The bolts are not loose but I think the torque on the bars is pretty great so they tend to slide and twist a bit. I was thinking about putting a tack weld on them to hold them in place. Has anyone else had the same issue?

Yes. I drilled a hole through the bracket and tongue member and put a bolt through. You have to watch for wiring inside and outside the frame.

2014 XLR27HFS
2006 Ford F450 Diesel Dually
2015 Harley Freewheeler Trike (Tara)
2004 Harley Road King Custom (Gemma)
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:41 AM   #36
Sunseeker 2500TS

If you never want to worry again get a Hensley. I know it's$2000 installed but it's trouble free.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:54 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Harder View Post

Get out and Play Harder😛

2008 Can Am Spyder
PH, you are the expert. If you were referring to the comment I made... I have read on the forum that the mounting slips and then the tension changed... dunno really, just read it on the forum.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 11-05-2015, 01:23 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezyhillfarm View Post
Yes. I drilled a hole through the bracket and tongue member and put a bolt through. You have to watch for wiring inside and outside the frame.

2014 XLR27HFS
2006 Ford F450 Diesel Dually
2015 Harley Freewheeler Trike (Tara)
2004 Harley Road King Custom (Gemma)

Bolt that's a good idea thanks ill watch out for the wiring
Berjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 02:59 PM   #39

I have a blue ox for my 27hfs...two dressers in the garage and pull it with a 2014 tundra...i have to add water for balast but the hitch works fine...just got back to richmond from fla about 2100 miles and ran 65..70. No problems
2015 Roadglide spec
2012 switchback mechanic..(wife's)
roguepra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:09 PM   #40

WW

No just commenting on other posts that the only argument I've heard against the Anderson is it can't transfer enough weigh to front axle --In my use I can definitely see and feel weight transferred to front axles that's all

Great WDS system

WW going coastal this weekend 😄
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, sway, weight, xlr