Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2015, 08:35 AM   #61
Sunseeker 2500TS

Hensly

I have a 29 as well and struggled with the many configurations (loaded, unloaded) and finally paid the big bucks for the Hensley hitch. As an engineer its the only thing that makes engineering mathematical sense, all others must use some form of friction to dampen what the Hensley fundamentally stops. All other suggestions boil down to dampen the sway (weight distribution, heavier truck, friction bars, etc), only two designs eliminate it. Only one is still in production with ProPride and Hensley. Without the friction loss my FE went up quite a bit as well. Not enough to pay for the hitch but noticeable.
rocrider50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:50 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocrider50 View Post
I have a 29 as well and struggled with the many configurations (loaded, unloaded) and finally paid the big bucks for the Hensley hitch. As an engineer its the only thing that makes engineering mathematical sense, all others must use some form of friction to dampen what the Hensley fundamentally stops. All other suggestions boil down to dampen the sway (weight distribution, heavier truck, friction bars, etc), only two designs eliminate it. Only one is still in production with ProPride and Hensley. Without the friction loss my FE went up quite a bit as well. Not enough to pay for the hitch but noticeable.
Blue Ox doesn't use friction.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:46 PM   #63

Neither does Reese dual-cam. It works without a friction device by both forestalling and resisting sway and only works when needed. It works similarly to a detent spring, which holds something from moving; it takes energy to over come the resistance of the ball and socket's action to compress the spring. The system also allows turning and backing without removing anything.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:43 PM   #64

Old-school thinking 😛😛😛😛😛😝😝😝😝😝Anderson all the way - I'm Razzing you if you didn't get it - I do like and recommend the Anderson though

Get out and Play Harder😛

2016 XLR Hyper Lite 29hsf - loaded picked up 3-24-2015😊
2008 Can Am Spyder
Kite Boarding is my Addiction - GOT WIND!
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:59 AM   #65
Sunseeker 2500TS

Wolf, Wolf, Wolf, we rely on your great ideas and technical knowledge for many things but in this area you seem to want to ignore the fundamental engineering facts. No mater what you do to the conventional ball hitch system, whether it be friction, springs (blue Ox) or cams (Reese) you are still trying to cover two major flaws of the system that can only eventually lead to trailer sway. First you are tied to a ball hitch that is a single point of force on your vehicle (pivot) and second that force acts upon you vehicle behind the bumper, way behind the center of gravity of the vehicle.

Fundamental! Why are fifth wheels so popular? They move the pivot point ahead of the axle, near the center of gravity. Why are conventional systems so reliant on did you balance the weight of the trailer , is your friction/spring/cam set properly, etc.... Because they can never overcome fully one design flaw,....they are designed to SWAY.

Hensley/proPride designs solve that flaw. They do not pivot on a ball and the center of gravity of the pull is moved forward by the four bar link, to over the axle. Four bar link, what a concept, don't pivot on a ball. The FBL has been used for centuries to translate movement to another point without pivot.

I do not own Hensley or work there and I had my first dollar ever earned (i.e. I'm Cheap) until I spent it on a Hensley. I never worry about sway any more, ever. I drive past semis, through howling rain storms, around tight corners and nothing bothers the Hensley. Do I wish it was cheaper, yes (its built like a tank). But I could sell it used right now and recoup much of my cost. If you don't want to constantly fret over is my truck big enough, is my weight distribution set right, its too windy, can I use my friction device in the rain, did I disconnect it when I backed up, etc.....put the big bucks down on a Hensley.

You can try and tell me your system doesn't have that problem, but it does by design. Is there a ball in the equation? It will eventually have a moment on some road that you need to change your shorts for. Mean while I'm relaxing.
rocrider50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:45 AM   #66

Rocrider (R, R, R!), respectfully... you must have read something into what you think I wrote. Or simply had too much coffee today. I wrote nothing that would indicate I am ignoring any engineering facts. I also didn't misrepresent how the dual-cam functions. I actually do know the inherent flaw shared by hitch and ball towing systems... and like YOU, have no experience with a ProPride or Hensley. But, I reported facts based on experience with my hitch. When I consider my $00.00 investment in it, and the facts that the dual-cam works well enough for me, I have no future plan to pay $2500 for a hitch, even though I could sit for hours admiring the engineering masterpiece. It ain't new either, been around for many many years.

Thanks for the lesson on how the Hensley and Propride works, someone here might not have known all that.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 11-12-2015, 08:06 AM   #67

I'm with you WW. VERY satisfied with my cheap, insuffecient, antiquated, ball hitched, poorly engineered, incorrectly mounted, etc, etc, etc, Blue Ox. It may not be the best, but it works VERY WELL for me.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:11 AM   #68
Sunseeker 2500TS

Yea 2500 hurts. You can get em down to$1700. I am on the fourth coffee since my 4:30 am meeting with England. Love my Hensley. I will say I spent almost as much trying to solve my sway a $100 to $300 at a time. Between scales trying to get weight distribution right, three different hitch systems( I went too cheap early on), hotels halfway on my trip because the wind was too high, new door and handle bars because the sway was so bad that it shook my bike lose. Heck I probably spent three times what the Hensley cost. If you spent more than $30k for your rig, 5% on a hitch is a cheap insurance policy. I should get an insurance discount.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:13 AM   #69

RocR. I read you message wrong; thought you said you don't own a Hensley. Like I said for my dual-cam there was a learning curve ("it was fussy") but the RV tech didn't get it right either... but I didn't go thru all the stages and problems you did... The setup wasn't that bad, but I knew it could be better so I figured it out. I chimed in because you said all non Hensley type hitches use friction and that just isn't so... forgive me for being me

I wish my $00.00 hitch had been a Hensley and I hope to own one someday.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 11-12-2015, 12:12 PM   #70
Sunseeker 2500TS

No problem. I hate that the Hensley cost soooo much but it works so well , no fuss. My cheap nature still hates I spent so much. I'm glad when some find cheaper solutions.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:54 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocrider50 View Post
No problem. I hate that the Hensley cost soooo much but it works so well , no fuss. My cheap nature still hates I spent so much. I'm glad when some find cheaper solutions.
It's tough to justify $2500 when the $450 for the andersen gives great performance . no sway with it ever .Never a need to fuss with loading . just hook up and go . no problem cornering . If you need to spend 2500 for a hitch to get your truck and trailer to tow well maybe the problem lies not in the hitch
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:57 PM   #72

Wow X2 had no idea $2500 $$$$ wow I really can say I have zero sway with the Anderson up to 75-80 mph in high winds / now I do have quadrasteer and don't know if that's the reason but the Anderson HD set up correctly works fantastic for under $500 too
Old 11-13-2015, 07:48 AM   #73

Not trying load up on the Andersen here but another happy Andersen owner. When going to Sturgis this year (~600 one way trip...), I was over loaded on weight for my 3/4 TV. Yet I had no sway at all. The truck was just about level even with a polaris quad in the bed of the truck. The only issue I had was a bit of a "bounce" when there was a large bump in the road (i.e. bridge ramps).

Overall I have been very happy with the Andersen. I have no problem recommending it to others. But I fully understand that others are just as happy with the W/D that they.

Happy and safe travels to all...
Old 11-13-2015, 08:10 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Harder View Post
Wow X2 had no idea $2500 $$$$ wow I really can say I have zero sway with the Anderson up to 75-80 mph in high winds / now I do have quadrasteer and don't know if that's the reason but the Anderson HD set up correctly works fantastic for under $500 too
i don't have quad steer and no issues with my combo . i did install airbags on the 2500hd were they needed no,did they make for an even smoother ride.yes ! only need 25 psi in them . towed 3000 miles without them and the last 1000 miles with them . i would recommend them
Old 11-13-2015, 10:11 AM   #75

I have airbag system too levels me out - if you put too much air in airbags it will make you bouncy - I also have rancho adjustable shocks - got my truck dialed in only 310k on my TV --

Get out and Play Harder😛

2008 Can Am Spyder
Old 11-13-2015, 10:16 AM   #76

Quote:
I have airbag system too levels me out - if you put too much air in airbags it will make you bouncy - I also have rancho adjustable shocks - got my truck dialed in only 310k on my TV --

Get out and Play Harder😛

2008 Can Am Spyder

I knew a girl with that problem...
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:03 AM   #77

Quote:

Get out and Play Harder😛

2008 Can Am Spyder
I've got the rancho 9000 also . the airbags were a nice addition . i only have 129,000 so a ways to go the the 2500hd
Old 11-13-2015, 11:19 AM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
wow I really can say I have zero sway with the Anderson up to 75-80 mph in high winds

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:27 AM   #79

Mtnguy - yes I have a lead foot - you should try to follow me on my Trike

Get out and Play Harder😛

2008 Can Am Spyder
Old 11-13-2015, 01:25 PM   #80

Quote:
I got my truck dialed in only 310k on my TV --
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
i only have 129,000 so a ways to go the the 2500hd
PH & NS,
I only have ~135k on my 2500HD but I will be looking for a new 3500 in a couple of years. She has been a great truck but is starting to show her age (2004...all in the MN salt years...). I'm afraid all the washing and waxing I did over the years could not prevent her under caritage from starting to rust. She runs like a top but the bottom half is uh, undesirable... The current bid to replace the lower rusted parts is more than KBB says she is worth. Time to start looking for a good high school kids that has time on his hands to do some body work, because mechanically she is just fine.

Tags
hitch, sway, weight, xlr