Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2015, 08:45 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 85
XLR weight distribution hitch/sway bar ?

Hello,

I'm new to the forum (and RVs) and am getting ready to order a 2016 XLR Hyperlite 29HFS travel trailer, and have questions about getting a weight distribution hitch and/or sway bars. We'll be pulling it with a 2011 diesel 3500 (single wheel, not dually) and our toys are motorcycles, with the heaviest two weighing about 1,300lbs combined. The dealer mentioned Blue Ox as the "best" weight distribution hitch they usually sell (for $695), but we didn't get into detail about that yet.

Do we need both a weight distribution hitch and sway bars, or can they be one in the same (a quick Google search makes me think yes)? I'm used to pulling a 30' gooseneck horse trailer, so I'm not as familiar with bumper pull hitch issues. What should we be looking for? Which are the good ones, and the ones to stay away from? Are there some that you can't back up with if they are connected? Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendation, experiences, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Being new to RVing, I'm sure I'll have a bunch of additional questions, so I'll say thanks in advance for your help and patience with a newbie

And can I just add, we are soooo excited and can't wait to make our first trip!

Thanks,
Chrissy
__________________

__________________
chrissybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:18 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
northstar1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: in my new 29hfsxlr
Posts: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissybird View Post
Hello,

I'm new to the forum (and RVs) and am getting ready to order a 2016 XLR Hyperlite 29HFS travel trailer, and have questions about getting a weight distribution hitch and/or sway bars. We'll be pulling it with a 2011 diesel 3500 (single wheel, not dually) and our toys are motorcycles, with the heaviest two weighing about 1,300lbs combined. The dealer mentioned Blue Ox as the "best" weight distribution hitch they usually sell (for $695), but we didn't get into detail about that yet.

Do we need both a weight distribution hitch and sway bars, or can they be one in the same (a quick Google search makes me think yes)? I'm used to pulling a 30' gooseneck horse trailer, so I'm not as familiar with bumper pull hitch issues. What should we be looking for? Which are the good ones, and the ones to stay away from? Are there some that you can't back up with if they are connected? Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendation, experiences, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Being new to RVing, I'm sure I'll have a bunch of additional questions, so I'll say thanks in advance for your help and patience with a newbie

And can I just add, we are soooo excited and can't wait to make our first trip!

Thanks,
Chrissy
you've got plenty of truck . make life easy and go with the andersen wd . no sway / no bounce /no grease and only weighs 60lbs. i pull my 29xlr with a chevy 2500hd gasser and the andersen works great , good company and they stand behind what they put out
__________________

__________________
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:31 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Western, MA
Posts: 430
Blue Ox always seems to be pushed by dealers. This is the hitch they make the most profit on and is certainly not the best. The two best without going to huge money like the ProPride or Hensley are either the Reese Straight Line Dual Cam or the Equalizer E4. They both perform identically and are all in one sway control and weight distribution. However the Equalizer E4 is a touch cheaper and MUCH easier to setup and use. I've used both extensively and would go for the Equalizer 100%. Should cost you about $450 delivered.
__________________
Karl4Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:54 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
R3Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 238
I use the Reese straight line dual cam and I'm very happy with the performance. It's not quite the pro pride or Hensley but it doesn't cost as much either. With your truck you'll be ahead of the game with any wdh.



-R.Jones
Nitro 31FQSL
__________________
RJones
2016 Nitro 31FQSL
2017 2500 Denali Duramax
R3Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 10:13 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Wayne Joan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South West Michigan
Posts: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
you've got plenty of truck . make life easy and go with the andersen wd . no sway / no bounce /no grease and only weighs 60lbs. i pull my 29xlr with a chevy 2500hd gasser and the andersen works great , good company and they stand behind what they put out
I used the Andersen on my 27' TT. It worked very well. Easy to hook up and easy to handle. I would still be using it but, went to the 5er.
__________________
2015 Flagstaff 8528IKWS Diamond Package
2013 Ford F-150 Super Crew, EcoBoost, Max Tow,
6.5 bed, Roadmaster Active Suspension, E rated tires
98 days camping 2017
Wayne Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 10:29 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
breezyhillfarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Joan View Post
I used the Andersen on my 27' TT. It worked very well. Easy to hook up and easy to handle. I would still be using it but, went to the 5er.

X2


2014 XLR27HFS
2006 Ford F450 Diesel Dually
2015 Harley Freewheeler Trike (Tara)
2004 Harley Road King Custom (Gemma)
__________________
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 11:24 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: OH
Posts: 67
I have used a 10K haul master from Harbor freight for the past 4 years on my 27HFS ($180) with no issues. I had to buy a new one for my new heavier trailer that I bought from etrailer.com 15K w/ sway control for $280 free shipping. They have them from $200 and up, just watch some don't include the shank which you have to buy.
__________________
mrdon003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:13 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Play Harder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 506
X3 for Anderson and I'm using a 1/2 ton Chevy quadrasteer to pull my HyperLight 29hfs zero sway over 75 mph too


Get out and Play Harder😛

2016 XLR Hyper Lite 29hsf - loaded picked up 3-24-2015😊
2008 Can Am Spyder
Kite Boarding is my Addiction - GOT WIND!
__________________
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:10 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Western, MA
Posts: 430
The Anderson is gaining quite the following and must work great for so many good reviews to be posted. You guys who have it should post the price for the OP so they can compare and contrast to the other systems mentioned. I'm betting it's the least expensive out there and works as good as it's more expensive counterparts.

On a side note, their "Ulitmate 5th Wheel Connection" is also gaining quite the following for it's light weight, ability to control chucking, and low price...
__________________
Karl4Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:21 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
northstar1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: in my new 29hfsxlr
Posts: 1,658
the Andersen is 450 from hitches on line .worth every penny . quick set up . and like i posted early No Sway / No bounce . with standard wd hitches bounce is something they seem to increase / sway is there unless you but the extra anti sway stuff and in some cases need to remove it before backing up where the andersen eliminates both and no need to unhook to back up . did i mention only 60 lbs and no grease to get all over the place
__________________

__________________
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hitch, sway, weight, xlr

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 AM.