Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yler4cy View Post
I would like to know this as well, because I can not walk under the 2 beds in my camper. I asked if they could go higher and the salesman said no. Don I will try and get a picture to show you it in the top position.

EDIT: My bed DO NOT go all the way to the ceiling which I wish they did because I have a golf cart with a lift and it would fit if both beds were to go to the ceiling. The way it sits now I would have to pull the pins and remove both bed to get it in there.
Thanks

Here is a photo of my trailer when i was taking delivery of it from the seller.. you can see the beds are all the way up, but that lower bunk even for someone under 6' tall is low enough to hit with their head.
The bottom bunk, even with the top bunk out, will not go any higher, and the top bunk with the bottom bunk out, will only go 1/2 way down (the position it goes to with the bottom bunk in place..)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
melk-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #22

Melk - That is exactly how mine looks. I would love for it to go to the roof, because from what I was told is it is 7'9" inside and the beds are only 4" thick. This would give me plenty of room for my beds. I don't care if I have to buy a ladder for them.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #23

Quote:
Melk - That is exactly how mine looks. I would love for it to go to the roof, because from what I was told is it is 7'9" inside and the beds are only 4" thick. This would give me plenty of room for my beds. I don't care if I have to buy a ladder for them.
the bed may be 4" but the bracket that runs in the track, that the "L" bracket attaches too, i think is taller than that.

My advice, if you are keeping both beds, would be to construct longer "L" brackets. ones that in the "7" position would hold the bed higher.. pretty simple with some steel and a drill ? then enamel em white. I just had no need for both beds. but DO want it in the high position, to come down further. gonna remove those stops and see what happens.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #24

This picture shows our bunks in the raised position. If you look closely you can tell that they are just barely visible through the side entrance door. Like I said, I am 5'9" tall and can walk and stand under them with no issues, and no squatting. And my UN lifted cart fits under them with an inch or two to spare.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	375865_638996356126498_2118522380_n.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	30591  
99 Club Car Golf Cart
djmac1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #25
10x

Then there has to be some sort of travel stop switches just like your automatic garage door opener at home. I bet there is some sort of travel adjustment switch or something. Something has to control how far it travels up or down. We need to find this information somewhere. Is there anything in the TT paperwork you get when you receive the new trailer?
Old 05-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #26

it's not an electric or infrared signal thing. it's a mechanical stop that is visible about 4' off the floor in each of the 4 tracks, screwed to the wall. if you watch the bunks come down, the lower bunk will pass by them, but the upper bunk rests right on them and a lever disconnects it from the chain.. stopping it's movement, even as the lower bunk continues on down.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:49 AM   #27
10x

I will check it out when I get home tonite. There has to be a way to adjusted this thing. DJMAC claims he can walk under his with both beds up, I cant on mine.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:50 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10x View Post
I will check it out when I get home tonite. There has to be a way to adjusted this thing. DJMAC claims he can walk under his with both beds up, I cant on mine.
Here is a cropped version of my pic. You can see how much higher it is than the other pic that was posted. I don't know how to make it happen, but it can happen! I can't even stuff a pillow onto the top bunk when they are raised because it is so close to the ceiling. And yes, I can walk and stand under them without stooping over.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	375865_638996356126498_2118522380_n.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	30625  
99 Club Car Golf Cart
Old 05-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #29

OK, confirmed with Darren our se rep, that removing the stop blocks in each of the 4 tracks WILL allow the upper bunk to keep traveling down. THe upper bunk brackets are not fixed to the chain, the top bunk brackets are just resting on the lower bunk bracket (that is attached to the chains). the stops.. well, "Stop" the upper bunk in the position they wanted when you have 2 bunks.
so, the stops held in with the screws are coming out and i can lower the bed further now that i have no more 2nd bed back there and i can leave it in the upper bed position so it goes all the way to the ceiling.

he also said that if you have the walk through dinette option in the cargo area, that lower bed that folds up would reduce the walk through height due to the folding brackets taking up room below.. but none of us discussing that have that option. we all have just the actual beds. it does appear that Don's lower bed is thinner or something than mine pictured above.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by melk-man View Post
it does appear that Don's lower bed is thinner or something than mine pictured above.
Yes, I just have the original mattresses, not much more than a piece of foam. I did have to put plywood under the mattresses so you couldn't feel the frame under you. I also put a layer of camping mats between the mattresses and the plywood thinking it may make it a bit more comfortable. Not to terribly bad now, but still not as comfortable as a regular mattress.
99 Club Car Golf Cart
Old 05-16-2013, 06:24 PM   #31
10x

Quote:
Originally Posted by melk-man View Post
OK, confirmed with Darren our se rep, that removing the stop blocks in each of the 4 tracks WILL allow the upper bunk to keep traveling down. THe upper bunk brackets are not fixed to the chain, the top bunk brackets are just resting on the lower bunk bracket (that is attached to the chains). the stops.. well, "Stop" the upper bunk in the position they wanted when you have 2 bunks.
so, the stops held in with the screws are coming out and i can lower the bed further now that i have no more 2nd bed back there and i can leave it in the upper bed position so it goes all the way to the ceiling.

he also said that if you have the walk through dinette option in the cargo area, that lower bed that folds up would reduce the walk through height due to the folding brackets taking up room below.. but none of us discussing that have that option. we all have just the actual beds. it does appear that Don's lower bed is thinner or something than mine pictured above.
OK, Is there a way to make the bed go higher closer to the ceiling? Don says he's 5 9" and still can walk under the 2 beds without hitting his head.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #32
10x

I think I figured out how to get more height. Melkman, after I read your post I went out and checked. The upper brackets are free floaters. My lower bed is connected to the chained bracket. In my case all I need to do is move my lower bed up to the next floating bracket for more height. The bed will go up higher because it is above the chained bracket. In your 1 bed case bolt your bed to the first floating bracket from the ceiling. Beds will still go up and down even though they are bolted to the floating brackets. The chained bracket will move bed up and it allow them to come down. I would also reverse the brackets for more height. This explains how Don can walk under his with 2 beds and still have a couple inches of clearance. He also said his beds go all the way up past the rear door opening. I hope you understand this explanation.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #33

lol.. pretty much exactly what i posted yesterday, post #29..

ps: posted long ago my "L" brackets are already upside down so they are holding the bed a few inches higher. been that way since day-1.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #34
Senior moment Junior Memb

Here's my two cents..... I looked at this situation in my th. my plan was to remove the top bunk and adjust the limit switches on the lift motor to allow the bottom bunk to raise a bit higher. The limit switches are the plastic buttons sticking out from the motor housing. It turns out that my teryx fits, barely, without mods. However if it starts rubbing due to bouncing i will try my bunk removal plan. We have the pass-thru dinette and party deck so just pulling the bottom bed out is not an option.
:
Thebottlesniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #35
10x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebottlesniper View Post
Here's my two cents..... I looked at this situation in my th. my plan was to remove the top bunk and adjust the limit switches on the lift motor to allow the bottom bunk to raise a bit higher. The limit switches are the plastic buttons sticking out from the motor housing. It turns out that my teryx fits, barely, without mods. However if it starts rubbing due to bouncing i will try my bunk removal plan. We have the pass-thru dinette and party deck so just pulling the bottom bed out is not an option.
So there are travel limit switches? I need to check it out.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #36

I plan to look at mine and see what mods I can make to have them go to the ceiling. If I figure something out I will post pics. If anyone else figures this out, please post pics if you can.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #37
Senior moment Junior Memb

Quote:
I plan to look at mine and see what mods I can make to have them go to the ceiling. If I figure something out I will post pics. If anyone else figures this out, please post pics if you can.
If yours is the same as my 35x12 it appears that causing the bunks to go up any higher would cause the top bunk to hit the lift motor. That is why I looked seriously at removing the top bunk hardware to allow the lower one to go up farther. I lucked out in that my Teryx fits with about an inch to spare, until i buy new tires, i suppose.
:
Thebottlesniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #38

remove stops.. bed goes down further

yes, removing the 4 metal stops within each of the 4 tracks allows the top bunk to continue moving down, yet allows the single bed to go pretty much to the ceiling (4.5" from the ceiling is all i measured left once in full raised position).

Here's the bed in the way down position now.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #39

and for those wondering about making the top bunk (or only one you have) go a bit higher, just make new "L" brackets with a longer section that attaches to the track.

here is my bunk in full raised position. I can't even go any higher really as the extra memory foam and pillow get squished. Even with those out of the way, i measured just over 4.5" from the ceiling to the top of the bed frame..

Old 05-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #40

Melk-man - thanks for the information. I will have to look at this and more than likely try it.
Thanks