Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #1

xlr27hfs electric bed ..lowering further.

Ok, so even if yours came with the electric bunk beds, removing one bed does not allow the top bunk to lower further than it did before. And a friend of mine's came with a single bed, and his only lowers half way as well. Not a huge deal, but would be kinda cool to lower it further and not have to use the ladder to get in it if you wanted to. Obviously putting it on the lower bunk brackets would have it not raise out of the way (which is why i removed the lower bed to begin with)..
so, has anyone experimented with the track to get the bunk to lower further ?? i see a "stopper" within the track held in the wall with 2 round head bolts with a square bit fitting. The bed comes to those and stops. Wonder if i remove em if the bed would continue further down the tracks ?
melk-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:29 PM   #2

If you look in the track when you lower the bunk you will see a bracket with two or three holes for screws in it. It will continue to lower once the top bunk stops. There is also another bracket just like it that the top bunk is attached to, that stops part of the way down to give you the upper position of the bunk. If yo pull the pins that attach the bunk to the L brackets, and move the bunk out of the way, you will be able to see both sets of brackets in the channel. Just need to move the L brackets to the lower set in the channel, put the bunk back on the L brackets, replace the pins, and you will be able to lower it to the bottom position. Also make sure when you remove the L brackets form the bracket in the channel, make sure you watch for the spacers that are behind the L brackets, they are what keeps the bracket from rubbing the channel when lowering and raising. Also, you can flip the L brackets to give you another inch or so, either way. I hope that makes sense, I have a hard time explaining things with a keyboard. If I've confused you with this, feel free to send me a PM and I will give you my number to call me and try to explain it better. A
99 Club Car Golf Cart
djmac1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmac1964 View Post
If you look in the track when you lower the bunk you will see a bracket with two or three holes for screws in it. It will continue to lower once the top bunk stops. There is also another bracket just like it that the top bunk is attached to, that stops part of the way down to give you the upper position of the bunk. If yo pull the pins that attach the bunk to the L brackets, and move the bunk out of the way, you will be able to see both sets of brackets in the channel. Just need to move the L brackets to the lower set in the channel, put the bunk back on the L brackets, replace the pins, and you will be able to lower it to the bottom position. Also make sure when you remove the L brackets form the bracket in the channel, make sure you watch for the spacers that are behind the L brackets, they are what keeps the bracket from rubbing the channel when lowering and raising. Also, you can flip the L brackets to give you another inch or so, either way. I hope that makes sense, I have a hard time explaining things with a keyboard. If I've confused you with this, feel free to send me a PM and I will give you my number to call me and try to explain it better. A

appreciate the reply Don, issue i see with putting the upper bed on the lower brackets (remember i have 2 beds already, the lower bed was removed) is the bed then would not raise up to it's current position in the "Up" position. I would hit my head on it as i did before when the 2nd bunk was in there.. It stops where a lower bunk stops .. looking inside the 4 tracks, there are metal "stops" held to the wall with 2 bolts. the top bed (or my 1 bed now that the lower bed is out) stops when it hits these metal stops even though the chains in the track keep moving, and the lower bunk brackets continue downward, even with no bed on them.
I will be at my trailer tomorrow perhaps and take a photo of the stops to see if ya think removing those would allow the upper bed to continue down without any other issues.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #4

I have both bunks in mine also, and when I raise them they both go up to the cealing. I have room to put a club car golf cart, with a roof, in the cargo area with both bunks installed. My top bunk is free floating and only goes up when pushed up by the bottom one, whick is lifted be the track system. Hopefully someone will chime in that will be more helpfull, but it sounds like something may not be installed correctly.
99 Club Car Golf Cart
Old 05-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #5

Quote:
I have both bunks in mine also, and when I raise them they both go up to the cealing. I have room to put a club car golf cart, with a roof, in the cargo area with both bunks installed. My top bunk is free floating and only goes up when pushed up by the bottom one, whick is lifted be the track system. Hopefully someone will chime in that will be more helpfull, but it sounds like something may not be installed correctly.

lol.. sorry to make this so confusing there isn't anything wrong with the instal. And yes, both my bunks would also go to the ceiling. But ya have to think about how the 2 beds move. they both come down together to a point.. then the lower bunk keeps coming down while the upper stays about mid height. When you raise em, the top bunk stays put until the bottom bunk gets to it, they they both raise to the ceiling.

i want my TOP bunk to go to the position where the BOTTOM bunk goes.. (having the lower bunk removed). but i also want it to go all the way to the ceiling. Ya simply can't have it BOTH ways with one bunk. You either get it to the ceiling and it comes down 1/2 way, or it comes down further but leaves a gap at the ceiling when it goes up (a gap where the top bunk would normally be).
Old 05-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #6

Gotcha. I do not know how to do it, but there are some sort of switch/switches that can be moved up in the channel to make it stop farther up.
99 Club Car Golf Cart
Old 05-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #7

cool. may call Darrin the xlr southeast rep tomorrow to see if he has answers, or may call forest river. or.. may do some experimentin on my own.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
10x

Quote:
Originally Posted by melk-man View Post
cool. may call Darrin the xlr southeast rep tomorrow to see if he has answers, or may call forest river. or.. may do some experimentin on my own.
I was thinking the same thing too. I believe there is another lower position where the stops can be mounted and the top bed will stop at the lower position. I will examine it a little closer tomorrow.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #9

my initial plan was to just remove the 4 metal stops ..
Old 05-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #10
10x

Quote:
my initial plan was to just remove the 4 metal stops ..
Going outside now to check again
Old 05-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #11
10x

Ok, I just checked it out. The top bed free floats, you cannot just remove the 4 stops because the top bed will end up just sitting on the bottom bed all the time. you can lower the stops, thus bringing the top bed down lower.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10x View Post
Ok, I just checked it out. The top bed free floats, you cannot just remove the 4 stops because the top bed will end up just sitting on the bottom bed all the time. you can lower the stops, thus bringing the top bed down lower.

ok, but i think you have 2 beds still right?? so if my bottom bunk is removed, i could take the stops out and the "top" bed (the only one left) would not stop in the from-factory position, it would continue on down ?? (cross fingers)

and i sure wish i could store mine at home. need to find a property outside the "burbs".. LOL
Old 05-14-2013, 09:27 PM   #13
10x

Quote:
ok, but i think you have 2 beds still right?? so if my bottom bunk is removed, i could take the stops out and the "top" bed (the only one left) would not stop in the from-factory position, it would continue on down ?? (cross fingers)

and i sure wish i could store mine at home. need to find a property outside the "burbs".. LOL
Yes, I have 2 beds. If you take out the stops the the top bed would continue downward.

Why don't you remove the top bed and leave the bottom? I am confused on what you are trying to accomplish.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Yes, I have 2 beds. If you take out the stops the the top bed would continue downward.

Why don't you remove the top bed and leave the bottom? I am confused on what you are trying to accomplish.

ah ! good to know.
ya can't walk around back there with 2 beds in place. i race bikes and am loading/unloading stuff a lot. i hit my head a bunch in the first 2 trips and i didn't need 2 bunks back there. wanted more head room (and i'm only 5'7") as well as lose the extra weight. That thing is pretty heavy especially when i have the 3/8 plywood support in there.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #15
10x

Quote:
ah ! good to know.
ya can't walk around back there with 2 beds in place. i race bikes and am loading/unloading stuff a lot. i hit my head a bunch in the first 2 trips and i didn't need 2 bunks back there. wanted more head room (and i'm only 5'7") as well as lose the extra weight. That thing is pretty heavy especially when i have the 3/8 plywood support in there.
Where are you at in Tampa? I am in Dunedin, I can give you hand if you need help.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #16

Quote:
wanted more head room (and i'm only 5'7")
I don't understand why yours are so low. I'm 5'9" and I don't come close to hitting my head when I walk under them. When raised the bottom of the bottom bunk is level with or higher than the top of the door.
99 Club Car Golf Cart
Old 05-14-2013, 10:03 PM   #17

Quote:
I don't understand why yours are so low. I'm 5'9" and I don't come close to hitting my head when I walk under them. When raised the bottom of the bottom bunk is level with or higher than the top of the door.
it's close. even with the "L" bracket with the high end up, i would just catch my head on the darn thing coming and going if i didn't tilt my head a bit.

Quote:
Where are you at in Tampa? I am in Dunedin, I can give you hand if you need help.
much thanks. will see how it goes and post results ! with the single bed in use, it would be nice to lower it all the way down from the ceiling to the level of an actual bed, vs. having to climb the ladder to get in the thing. It goes to the very top, with the extra memory foam on top of the thin mattress it pretty much touches the ceiling blocking the roof vent back there (if you raise it that high)

with 2 beds, (as you would know) you have to have the stops in place or the top bunk would just come on down with the bottom bunk, not allowing ya to get in the bottom bunk.. LOL
Old 05-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #18
10x

Quote:
it's close. even with the "L" bracket with the high end up, i would just catch my head on the darn thing coming and going if i didn't tilt my head a bit.

much thanks. will see how it goes and post results ! with the single bed in use, it would be nice to lower it all the way down from the ceiling to the level of an actual bed, vs. having to climb the ladder to get in the thing. It goes to the very top, with the extra memory foam on top of the thin mattress it pretty much touches the ceiling blocking the roof vent back there (if you raise it that high)

with 2 beds, (as you would know) you have to have the stops in place or the top bunk would just come on down with the bottom bunk, not allowing ya to get in the bottom bunk.. LOL
Ok, I think I understand your dilema. You need to take your top bed and put it on the lower bed brackets that are connected to the drive chain. The bed will then lower to normal bed height. Also, if you want to gain a little more headroom, reverse the L-brackets. You will gain about 2-3 inches.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Ok, I think I understand your dilema. You need to take your top bed and put it on the lower bed brackets that are connected to the drive chain. The bed will then lower to normal bed height. Also, if you want to gain a little more headroom, reverse the L-brackets. You will gain about 2-3 inches.

wish it was that easy, but as stated earlier, that does not work.. My L brackets are already in a position that puts a bed as high as it goes, (the "L" inverted). You can't just put the top bunk on the lower bunk brackets.. inverted brackets or otherwise. When you do that (as mentioned earlier.. ) the bed now goes down to the position of a lower bunk.. but only raises to the level of a lower bunk. Even with no top bunk in place. That does me zero good. i would have left the 2nd bed in there if i just wanted a bed to go low but not worry about headroom.

I want the bed to go from the ceiling (way up high) to a couple feet off the floor. Neither set of brackets will do both.. you get one or the other without some OTHER modification. Like removing the stops that keep the top bunk from coming down further (hoping anyway).
Old 05-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #20

I would like to know this as well, because I can not walk under the 2 beds in my camper. I asked if they could go higher and the salesman said no. Don I will try and get a picture to show you it in the top position.

EDIT: My bed DO NOT go all the way to the ceiling which I wish they did because I have a golf cart with a lift and it would fit if both beds were to go to the ceiling. The way it sits now I would have to pull the pins and remove both bed to get it in there.
Thanks