Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #1

2012 Shockwave 23FSMX PDI

I'll try to keep this short - drove 2 hrs to pick up my new TH Saturday from a "local" dealer and drop off my old Mallard trade-in but came home without a trailer.

There were a LOT of cosmetic issues but the most concerning problems were:

1. No sealant used around the exterior speakers (you could see daylight from the interior)
2. Windows only had sealant along the top edge, nothing on the sides or bottom leaving gaps between the frame and aluminum.
3. Buldges in the aluminum siding suggesting a bolt head or some such thing about ready to poke thru.
4. Excessively loud water pump. The lines are contacting the paneling under the sink which accounts for most of the racket. There also seems to be very little pressure from the unit.
5. Bathroom wall is a mess - rough cut with gaps along the edges, trim has gaps, door mis-aligned, staples protruding...

The list goes on and I won't get into the nit-picky stuff. But for a $30K trailer I was a little upset. My $12K Mallard had better build quality. The gentleman doing our PDI was really great and recommended we just leave the unit in the bay with a list of items for repair. He was appalled to find the speakers had no sealant at all when we pulled one out.

I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. The Mallard was a rock solid unit for 3 years and I hated trading it in but really welcome the space and utility afforded by the Shockwave. Of all the units I looked at this was my favorite - really hope they can get these issues corrected.

Do a thorough PDI!!!

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/buenav...PDI_V113_2.pdf
BioMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
Site Team

I am sorry to hear about this. It got to be very disappointing. I do have a couple of staples that are visible but none of the other problems you listed. Hopefully everything will be taken care of ASAP and you are on your way camping.

Not that it matters but did you leave your trade-in there?

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:24 PM   #3

Yes the loan docs are all signed and the deal is sealed so I left the trade there. I really like this unit and want them to make it right - hopefully that is what happens. Leaning on warranty now to get this issues fixed.

For the record; the tech who did the PDI was very helpful and I've requested he do the work on the unit. Its rare to find somebody who actually cares about doing a job right and after 3 hrs interacting with this guy I'd say he's the type.

Thankfully camping season is a few months off - I plan to leave the TT at the dealer until its fully prepared to launch. I won't accept a sub-par product.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:27 PM   #4
Site Team

I know what you mean about feeling comfortable with a service tech. I have a great relationship with my service department. Sounds like it will be taken care of for you. Please do keep us updated.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #5

***UPDATE 2/6/12***

I received an email first thing this morning from the service adviser stating they will take care of all the issues - no questions asked. The work is being handled by the tech I worked with on Saturday as well which I'm very happy to hear.

I'll post more when the repairs are "complete" and I make a second PDI.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #6

Dealer fixed everything on my list. Found out after I hit the road that the outside wash station door doesn't stay closed and noticed one of the drawers doesn't stay locked closed

Other than that I'm ready to get this thing loaded up and go camping. Tows great, can't tell a difference vs the old Mallard even though we had 15-20 mph head and side winds the whole drive home.

Still not happy with the build quality on this unit but my dealer has been great and is getting things fixed quickly without any hassle.

Crappy cell phone pic for now:

Old 03-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMan View Post
Dealer fixed everything on my list. Found out after I hit the road that the outside wash station door doesn't stay closed and noticed one of the drawers doesn't stay locked closed

Other than that I'm ready to get this thing loaded up and go camping. Tows great, can't tell a difference vs the old Mallard even though we had 15-20 mph head and side winds the whole drive home.

Still not happy with the build quality on this unit but my dealer has been great and is getting things fixed quickly without any hassle.

Crappy cell phone pic for now:

I no that this is a couple months old, but was wonder if you bought it at sunset rv in bonney lake, wa....I am picking up a new toy hauler from there, i just bought one from there, dont know much about this brand but the price and the way I got treated is what sealed the deal,.......thanks
08ramguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #8

I purchased from R'n'R RV's in Liberty Lake, WA. The dealership was great starting with our salesman all the way through the service tech for the PDI and the service manager for fixing the things we found wrong. I can't say much for the build quality on the Shockwave but the dealer has been great to work with.