Old 09-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #1

2013 fs23mx

Hey all. I just put a deposit down on a new FS23MX hauler and I have a question.... anyone know why the 2013 FS23 is not shown on the website as a current model? I thought the dealer was trying to sell me a 2012, but the VIN shows 2013...

Thanks!

Old 09-17-2012, 12:13 AM   #2

I don't have an answer to your question but congrats on the purchase! I recently put a deposit down on a 2013 21FSMX. Scheduled to take delivery of it next Tuesday morning! I hope to see more action in this Shockwave section in the future. Kinda slow in here.
Let us know what you think when you get it!

Old 09-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #3

Thanks for the welcome 700hauler.... make sure you let us know how you are liking the FS21MX.

Apparently Forest River doesn't show the 23' Shockwave on the floorplans, but it is still a current model. When I looked at the "Gallery" section it still shows photos of the 2013 T23FS.

I almost bought the 21FS model myself since I only have a 1/2 ton pickup, but I really needed the rear bed/couch setup. The trailer fully loaded is still under my max tow rating, so it is all good, but you can really tell she is back there even with the WD hitch setup properly.

I am loving the unit so far.... it just seems like the perfect floor plan for our family, and the PDI went really well... the only thing I found was the switch for the Generac generator was wired backwards so it blew the fuse every time you tried to start it.... Camping World had a local authorized dealer fix it, and the thing works really, really well. The only other thing is the switch was installed a little crooked since the location (above the battery disconnect) is partially hollow and not the best mounting location in my opinion. I just ended up making new mounting holes in the top and bottom of the switch plate so I could screw it into some actual solid wood and then I just glued some fake screw heads into the factory Generac mounting holes.... looks perfect and is SOLID.

I actually had my local Camping World bring the unit in from a dealer in another state since I liked the floor plan so much, and the manager here locally liked this hauler so much more than the POS Thor Rubicon that they sell, that he told me they are going to bring in some Shockwaves now.

Mike
Old 09-21-2012, 02:07 AM   #4

Good to hear you are happy with it. We went with the 21 because we too are towing with a 1/2 ton...but also because we prefer the smaller size regardless, for getting into some of the smaller, harder to get to, off the grid camp spots we prefer. This unit is going to be used for hunting just as much as it will be used for recreational camping.

I initially liked the Rubicon at first look when comparing floor plans online. It had a few things in the floor plan I liked such as the hard wall enclosing the room and the bathroom having the shower, toilet, and sink all together in one room unlike the Shockwave. And the Rubicon had a bit more room in the front bedroom (between the bed and the bathroom wall). But once we got into the Shockwave it seemed to us that it was built a bit better than the Rubicon. After walking through the Shockwave the bedroom not having a separating wall and the sink being outside the bathroom weren't as much of a negative as we initially though. In fact we found a lot of positives to that layout over the Rubicon layout. It seemed a lot more open and free flowing.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #5

Well, its been a few weeks and I'm still pretty impressed with the Shockwave. I had to make slight adjustments to the mini-blind holders, and some other small things, but overall the unit is pretty well constructed. I just have a couple of things to mention:

1. I put about 4 gallons of fuel in the tank to allow generator use during tailgate parties, and noticed that the fuel gauge still shows below empty. Is my gauge not functioning properly, or is 4 out of 35 gallons not enough to register on the gauge?

2. This weekend I did go over all of the caulking to prepare for the coming fall wet weather here, and found that the clear silicone work above the windows was terrible. The interior caulking is impeccable, but whoever was in charge of the exterior sealing was a complete moron. We're not just talking cracks from separation due to weather changes and expansion/contraction, but very large gaps that were just not ever completed. Everyone just make sure to check above your windows for issues because I have seen posts on here showing the water staining on the inside of the trailers from water penetration. Pictures attached:

Old 10-16-2012, 12:37 AM   #6

Wow that calking is bad. I bought a sandstorm 203 slc in April which exactly identical to the 21fs. We have loved it so far. My calking doesn't look like that mine is much better all over. Looks like someone just needed some more practice. I know it took me three tries before I made the dw happy in our kitchen at home. But these toy haulers are awesome.

I haven't had any trouble with my gas gauge always seems to read right no matter how much I have in it. And having that fuel station and on board gen set is worth it's weight in gold.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #7

Wow thanks for the info on the caulking! I'll have to double check that before November's deer hunt. As for the fuel gauge I would chalk it up to 4 gallons not quite being enough to register on the gauge.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #8

The level sensor in those fuel tanks have a magnetic float around a center stainless tube. They are required to be 1" off the bottom of the tank --maybe so the steel tank doesn't interfere with the magnet. Not sure. My tank holds 30 gals and measures 5" tall so I figure I've got around 6 gal. left when the gauge first shows empty. I would like it better if there was a well for the sensor to sit in-there's a big difference in generator run time between 1 and 6 gal.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #9

No doubt Rotech! 6 gallons is a lot of fuel, that is why I only put 4 gallons in mine this fall.... it will run the generator for hours, and I'm not stuck with having a bunch of left-over fuel in the tank all winter while it sits in storage.

I guess I could go ahead and fill the tank for fall tailgating, and whatever is left over at the end of the season I can just pump into my truck...
Old 10-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #10

WR450rider...I'm also a WR450 rider.