Old 08-29-2014, 10:25 AM   #11

How do you best keep your battery above 50% when dry camping for several consecutive days?

Old 08-29-2014, 10:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by le.breeze View Post
How do you best keep your battery above 50% when dry camping for several consecutive days?
Not sure we understand your question. Battery amperage/voltage and its discharge thereof is a direct relation to amount of draw over a given time frame. That would include known and parasitic drain.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:52 AM   #13

When you are dry camping....I read somewhere to run generator 2 hours a day to keep batteries charged. How can you avoid just discharging over the period you are camping. Last time we went out our batteries were completely discharged on our last day.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:55 AM   #14
Site Team

Battery Replacement?

You've got to know how much you're drawing, and then making sure you put at least that much back, either through the generator, solar, wind, dog on a treadmill, hamster in a wheel, etc....

Edit: dang ipad sends too easily.

This is why many on here recommend a good battery monitor as the first step if you're going to dry camp. Once you've got an idea of what you're using, you'll know how long you need to run the generator to replenish the batteries. Might be more than 2 hours, could even be up to 8.

A monitor should also help you understand your usage and what you'll need to do to cut that usage, like switching lights to LED, running the furnace less by setting the thermostat to a lower temperature, turning off the water pump except for when you need water, etc...

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 08-29-2014, 12:09 PM   #15

Soapbox

When most folks are talking about 6v being "better" than 12v's they are basically talking about a significant upgrade in the type and capacity of the battery. There ARE verrrrryyy significant differences, and you'll notice the upgrade in capacity, but most folks don't have the set up to realize their full potential. Really even for deep cycle batteries.

It may appear that they don't live up to their rated capacities... but it's generally not the batteries fault.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:25 PM   #16

Can anyone recommend a battery monitor?
Old 08-29-2014, 01:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Can anyone recommend a battery monitor?
These are used by quite a few people. They have a good reputation.

TriMetric Battery System | Bogart Engineering
Old 08-29-2014, 01:42 PM   #18

OK now I am probably going to sound really stupid, but is there not a battery indicator built into the monitor display of the trailer?
Old 08-29-2014, 01:52 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
OK now I am probably going to sound really stupid, but is there not a battery indicator built into the monitor display of the trailer?
Not stupid at all. I was under the same misconception when I started out. The one in the trailer can only provide a 'point in time' measure of the battery (by voltage I believe). It doesn't compensate for float, it doesn't know anything about the batteries capacity, it doesn't monitor your draw, etc...

You also have to be sure you're looking at the right scale. The battery lights scale as 'F', 'G', 'C' which stands for 'Fair', 'Good', and 'Charging'. You'll note there's no concept of 'Full' or 'Empty' on that scale. As soon as you start your generator, or plug into shore power, if you click the button you'll see all the lights light up. That's because it's 'Charging'. Some people (myself included in the beginning) would look at that and think the battery's full, because we're looking at it like a scale. In reality, it could be almost dead, but still be charging.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:09 PM   #20

OK that explains it more. We really did not question any of this until we needed new batteries. Everything was fine on the previous trips we made until the last one when the batteries seemed to drain and now won't show a charge. I think we will buy 2 good 12 volt batteries for now and then think about adding the monitor. There is a big difference between owning a trailer and really understanding how everything operates. Thanks everyone for your input!

Tags
battery, replacement