Old 02-26-2018, 11:58 PM   #1

Hot Cold water switch.

Well this stumped me as well as the tech today. Let's see who can figure this out.
When pump on and using onboard water everything is fine except the kitchen sink hot and cold are backwards. When using city water, hot and cold faucets are switched in the bathroom sink and shower and the toilet flushes with hot water? Sink in kitchen is then normal?

Too late to call the factory but tech says he will have to drop belly cover and plumbing covers to check further. At least a half days work. They are all sealed and heated.

Bypass valve was closed and H/C lines open and correct.

Also need another new 10 gal hot water heater. Tech says it is leaking inside and could be a carbon monoxide hazard. Picked up trailer and brought it home. This is the first unit of this new model. T29KXGDX Shockwave. Very disappointed to say the least. It is three weeks old.

Should not have purchased the first one. I hope Forest River and the Dealer can make this whole for me. No work had been done since my appointment Thursday the 22nd @9:00 AM. Decided to pick it up at four and they tried to do a rush job before I left and discovered the above plus my punch list after shakedown cruise. Everyone tried to be helpful but it was a little late and should have been looked at sooner.

Jack

jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:04 AM   #2

just the kitchen needs to be reversed and the city check valve failed or isn't installed blowing hot out the in on the water heater. off the top of my think tank

Miller A_A sport 385 RLTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:30 AM   #3

Sounds very odd. Usually your city water and water pump come together before the water filter. Don't see how one or the other would change your faucet temperatures.

One suggestion: Make sure your outside shower faucets are closed. If they are open but the button on the shower head is closed, you can push water from one faucet into the other, very similar to having your bypass valve open. It's possible that the different pressures of the two water sources could be causing water to flow in two different directions.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:33 AM   #4

The city water inlet is not plumbed correctly and is plumbed to the hot piping instead of the cold piping inside trailer.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped:2012(36) 2013 (17) 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:45 AM   #5

This is very odd indeed. Unfortunately we will have to remove the Artic Package belly pan to get to any of the city plumbing to trouble shoot. Not familiar with RV plumbing but having a hard time understanding why City water would change the hot and the cold water positions in the bathroom plus flush with hot water.

Kitchen sink is reversed with pump and onboard water supply but bathroom is then normal. (both faucets and toilet.

Kitchen sink is normal with city water but both sink and shower in bathroom have hot and cold reversed. Also toilet then flushes with hot water.

Thank you all for your ideas. Will be checking with Chris Morris at the factory later this morning to see which way to proceed.

Jack
Old 02-27-2018, 10:31 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
The city water inlet is not plumbed correctly and is plumbed to the hot piping instead of the cold piping inside trailer.
Seems to make sense, and I recall somebody else having an issue just like that a year or two ago on here. The city water was t'd into the wrong line, so the pressure was on the wrong side of the hot water tank. When the demand for cold came, it would push the hot backwards through the tank and put hot water in the cold water lines.

Found the thread: Hot water coming into toilet?

To the OP, I don't know your rig, but it seems odd they've have to drop the underbody to get to the plumbing. There should be some kind of access panel or something to get to the back of the water heater. Try looking there first. See if you can get the hot/cold fixed from this point of view before worrying about the kitchen. Once the tank's right, then it should be an easy swap in the kitchen right at the tap.

I'm also curious about a comment you made:

Quote:
Also need another new 10 gal hot water heater
{emphasis added}

Did they replace the tank once already?
Old 02-27-2018, 10:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Seems to make sense, and I recall somebody else having an issue just like that a year or two ago on here. The city water was t'd into the wrong line, so the pressure was on the wrong side of the hot water tank. When the demand for cold came, it would push the hot backwards through the tank and put hot water in the cold water lines.

Found the thread: Hot water coming into toilet?

To the OP, I don't know your rig, but it seems odd they've have to drop the underbody to get to the plumbing. There should be some kind of access panel or something to get to the back of the water heater. Try looking there first. See if you can get the hot/cold fixed from this point of view before worrying about the kitchen. Once the tank's right, then it should be an easy swap in the kitchen right at the tap.

I'm also curious about a comment you made:

{emphasis added}

Did they replace the tank once already?
No I am curious also. This is the original new H/W heater. The Rv is only three weeks old. New service manager said it is hissing when on and leaking water inside. Could cause a carbon monoxide problem?!!

Jack
Old 02-27-2018, 02:10 PM   #8

Was it built on a Monday or Friday?
amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:18 PM   #9
Dahagen

It is in warranty. Make them fix it at no charge in a reasonable time frame (a few weeks, not months) or replace the unit. Check your states lemon laws.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:31 PM   #10

My experience with Forest River and my dealer is everything will be taken care of. Not to worry.

Make sure your punch list is in writing and everything on the punch list is on the dealer's work order.

My 2017 Georgetown has been to the dealer twice for warranty work. Each time I gave them a 3-page list of issues.

There was NO push back from my dealer or Forest River on warranty repairs.

I wish there had been no warranty issues, but I can't really complain and actually applaud both my dealer and Forest River. EVERYTHING on my list was taken care of right away.

So, work with your dealer. Let them work with Forest River. If your dealer runs into issues with Forest River (my experience says "Not Likely"), then call Forest River directly for explanations and assistance.

With the exception of it taking a few days for Forest River to get back to me, my working directly with them has really been a pleasant experience.

If you have a dealer that seems to be working FOR you, everything will work out just fine.

Tags
switch, water