Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2017, 09:57 PM   #1

Load weight questions

Hello all, new to the forum. First time trailer buyer. We just put money down on a new 2018 T24RQMX. We liked this trailer most out of all the ones we looked at as far as size, build features, etc.

Unfortunately, I am a little disappointed in the misleading salesmen, including one factory rep as to cargo capacity. I am looking for some help from anyone here thats willing. I had to figure all this out myself, after telling the sales people what we were wanting to do with a trailer. This was several days after we started paperwork. No one pointed out any of this at the time we started this. I realize I should have been more aware, but as a first time buyer of a TH, I kinda feel the salesmen and especially the factory rep could have explained this more prior to purchase.

The trailer has a GVWR of 9999lbs. The trailer itself shows a weight of 7087, so that leaves us a CCC of 2912lbs. Since this trailer has a fresh water tank of 140 gallons and a 40 gallon fuel tank, that should add up to 1167lbs of water and 240lbs of gas. This leaves approximately 1505 of usable space if my math is correct.

For my hypothetical situation, I used what the salesmen used as what will fit in this trailer. According to Polaris, a 4 seat razor weighs in at 1476 dry, so it should be around 1530-1550 wet. So if I load the tanks, I can't put what the salesmen said it could carry, let alone food, clothes, gear, etc.

When I called and spoke to the rep, his answer was to not fill the tanks until close to my destination. Then I could fill the tanks and be over weight for the short distance to where I am going. This just sounds crazy to me. His take was that these trailers are built with a safety variance in the GVWR and it will be ok.

I have seen lots of people pull lots of stuff out of trailers similar to this, so it must be doable. What am i missing or did I get taken for a ride on this trailer? Just doesn't seem very practical to have to find water close to where you are going and then hope going over GVWR won't damage the trailer.

Sorry this is so long. I guess I just want to know how everyone is getting all their gear to their destination.
Thanks
slowjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:48 AM   #2

Welcome here.

First time buyer here too...I started researching this two years ago and would have purchased then but life things happened causing a delay. I learned years ago buying trucks that salespeople typically don't know poop and the built in safety margin the rep told you is BS, over weight is over weight. Can you imagine having some damage and trying to get warranty work while explaining so and so said it was ok? Or until you have an accident that will get a lawyer involved. Sorry...had to go there.

While there is some logic about filling up when you get near your destination, if you want to spend the night on the road that would become a PITA and if you're like me you want pure gas in the fuel tank for the toys...another potential PITA to find on the road. Anyway, I looked at your unit and liked it. Isn't it a 106 gal fresh tank? If I'm correct that is about 885lbs, giving you about 282lbs back...still close but doable with careful loading especially if you have enough truck to hold some load.

It doesn't sound like your deal is a 'done deal', maybe talk to the dealership and recheck some other units. Good luck.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:37 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. As far as the 140 gallon tank, it was a show special upgrade. Regarding driving over GVW, It didn't sound right when it rolled off my tongue either but being new to RV's, I wanted to check with others before raising a stink.

Good news is, I spoke to the factory rep today. They are going to work with me and let me upgrade to the 28ft with a higher GVWR and CCC that will fit our needs.

Too bad the 24 doesn't have a higher GVW/ CCC. We loved the layout, colors and size. It would have been perfect for our needs had it been able to haul our toys, water and stuff safely.

The 28 is bigger, but we didn't need that for the space and the interior is just "meh" compared to the 24. Oh well, luckily we will have the right trailer and not be stuck with something we wouldn't be happy with that wouldn't meet our needs.

I have a 2006 Ford F350 4X4 crew cab diesel so I'm good for pulling either.

I just wish they would have been a little more helpful in guiding me to the right trailer from the jump. Would have been a lot less hassle.

Take care!
Old 10-16-2017, 09:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Isn't it a 106 gal fresh tank? If I'm correct that is about 885lbs, giving you about 282lbs back
They have an 86 gallon fresh, but you can option it with an extra 60 gallon capacity.

I was under the impression that they use the #9999 GVWR for legal reasons for CA sales. I believe there are license endorsement issues in CA for towing a trailer over #10000.

I guess if I was looking at a place to save weight I would tow without water, and fill up at, or near my destination. I always tow with only about 20-25 gallons for emergency, and fill up when I get to my destination. I have never camped where there was not a water source at, or very nearby.

'17 F350 STX 6.7 CCSB
'15 Stealth 2313
stealthWA2313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:57 PM   #5

There is something regarding the 10,000 GVW in Ca but I'm not 100% on it. My buddy is towing a 40ft trailer with no issues and my brother in law has a similar 28ft FR toy hauler/ 12500 GVW and there are no issues with license that I know of.

We really considered trying it with the 24ft trailer and getting water near our destination. The problem is that at some of the places we go, the nearest we could find was anywhere from 20-40 miles away. That's a little too far for being over weight for me. Even with doing that way, we would still have been too close on CCC with what we have in toys/ gear/ etc. I don't like taking that kind of risk.

*** In checking, yes you would need a non commercial class A license for anything over 10,000 GVW in Ca***
Old 10-16-2017, 11:11 PM   #6

just a thought, and maybe suspension also needs to be looked at, but...

one thing to consider is the load rating of the tires that are on the trailer...

higher load range tires might replace lower load range tires and that might be the cushion for loading that you are looking for...
jumping from load range D to E gives an increase of 290# of loading times 4 tires or over 1000#...

Tire capacity:
Load range: D
Ply rating: 8
Maximum load: 2,540 lbs at 65 psi

Tire capacity:
Load range: E
Ply rating: 10
Maximum load: 2,830 lbs at 80 psi

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowjon View Post

Good news is, I spoke to the factory rep today. They are going to work with me and let me upgrade to the 28ft with a higher GVWR and CCC that will fit our needs.
A good and safe solution for sure.
Enjoy the new camper.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:06 AM   #8

So I looked into the non commercial class A drivers license. Holy crap! Pretty intensive stuff.

Interestingly, my buddy already had a class A for something at work. My brother in law had no idea he needed one. Seems this is a large segment of people out there with trailers over 10k gvw

Some have mentioned getting different tires. I understand that they will have a higher load rating but going over that gvw and relying on the overage based on the tires still bothers me.

In my original post I used the example of a 4 seat razor for the weight calculations because that is what the dealer was saying would fit.

Here is what we want to load in the trailer. Let me know if anyone still thinks that 24 is doable.

2 seat razor - 1475 dry weight for the one my wife wants. Wet weight 1540 or so?

Sons quad - 400 lbs

Keep in mind, I don’t want to have to find somewhere to fill the water tank if I don’t have to. When I ran the numbers based on mfr specs, and accounted for just 100 ga of water, wet weights on the toys and a full 40 gallons of gas, it put us over gvw by around 200 lbs. I would still need quite a bit more for food/ clothing/ gear/ etc.

I’m so confused. If I stay with the smaller trailer, seems like I need better tires right away and hope being over weight by 1000-1200 pounds work.

If I go with the better gvw trailer that keeps me below weight on gvw, I need to get a different license and jump through all those hoops.

Taking the family out for a weekend of fun shouldn’t be this frustrating.

Thanks all for the info
Old 10-17-2017, 08:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
just a thought, and maybe suspension also needs to be looked at, but...

one thing to consider is the load rating of the tires that are on the trailer...

higher load range tires might replace lower load range tires and that might be the cushion for loading that you are looking for...

jumping from load range D to E gives an increase of 290# of loading times 4 tires or over 1000#...

Tire capacity:

Load range: D

Ply rating: 8

Maximum load: 2,540 lbs at 65 psi

Tire capacity:

Load range: E

Ply rating: 10

Maximum load: 2,830 lbs at 80 psi

Our 16 inch tires are rated at 3420 and the axles are claimed to be 6000 lbs. we are still having tire issues even after Lippert Ind sent a tech from Indiana to Ore to move the spring hangars & align the axles.
Having it realigned Friday at an independent shop.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:58 PM   #10

The other issue, which I just found out is that the 24 only has 5200 lb axles. Even with different tires, I’m not sure I would get the cushion I need.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:34 PM   #11

Quote:
fresh water tank of 140 gallons and a 40 gallon fuel tank, that should add up to 1167lbs of water and 240lbs of gas. This leaves approximately 1505 of usable space if my math is correct.
I may have missed it but what are you going to tow this with?

120 gal water = 1000.8 lbs
40 gallon fuel = 252 lbs

1252 lbs..

Dont forget propane. Often its not calculated
Also add the extra battery. At leat 100 lbs added

1352 lbs.

TW on that trailer will be 1200 or so at least..

The 28 footer is a nicer trailer... What are your concerns? Not enough truck?

Then add blankets, dishes, cups, silverware, tools, chairs, food, cleaning products, towels, games, helmets, riding gear, compressor.... etc etc etc..
Lawrosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:12 PM   #12

I mentioned the truck in one of the other messages. It’s enough truck. F350 4x4 crew cad long bed diesel.

The 28ft is a nice trailer. We actually liked the 24 better in several ways not related to towing (floor plan, interior colors, etc). The only real issue I have with the 28ft is the gvwr is 12,100. In CA, you need a non commercial class A license to tow it. I was trying to avoid that by staying below that 10,000 lb gvwr that triggers that additional license.

Doesn’t look like it is possible so the 28 footer and several trips to DMV are in my future!
Old 10-17-2017, 10:24 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Quote:
Hello all, new to the forum. First time trailer buyer. We just put money down on a new 2018 T24RQMX. We liked this trailer most out of all the ones we looked at as far as size, build features, etc.

Unfortunately, I am a little disappointed in the misleading salesmen, including one factory rep as to cargo capacity. I am looking for some help from anyone here thats willing. I had to figure all this out myself, after telling the sales people what we were wanting to do with a trailer. This was several days after we started paperwork. No one pointed out any of this at the time we started this. I realize I should have been more aware, but as a first time buyer of a TH, I kinda feel the salesmen and especially the factory rep could have explained this more prior to purchase.

The trailer has a GVWR of 9999lbs. The trailer itself shows a weight of 7087, so that leaves us a CCC of 2912lbs. Since this trailer has a fresh water tank of 140 gallons and a 40 gallon fuel tank, that should add up to 1167lbs of water and 240lbs of gas. This leaves approximately 1505 of usable space if my math is correct.

For my hypothetical situation, I used what the salesmen used as what will fit in this trailer. According to Polaris, a 4 seat razor weighs in at 1476 dry, so it should be around 1530-1550 wet. So if I load the tanks, I can't put what the salesmen said it could carry, let alone food, clothes, gear, etc.

When I called and spoke to the rep, his answer was to not fill the tanks until close to my destination. Then I could fill the tanks and be over weight for the short distance to where I am going. This just sounds crazy to me. His take was that these trailers are built with a safety variance in the GVWR and it will be ok.

I have seen lots of people pull lots of stuff out of trailers similar to this, so it must be doable. What am i missing or did I get taken for a ride on this trailer? Just doesn't seem very practical to have to find water close to where you are going and then hope going over GVWR won't damage the trailer.

Sorry this is so long. I guess I just want to know how everyone is getting all their gear to their destination.
Thanks

Ask the Factory rep to send a signed email with his statement that it's Ok to overload. See what happens.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:29 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Increasing tire size & inflation will increase their margin but will do nothing for the GAWR.

Be sure to get the unit on a scale and confirm actual axle loads on each axle individually to confirm the weight estimates.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:55 PM   #15

Quote:
The other issue, which I just found out is that the 24 only has 5200 lb axles. Even with different tires, I’m not sure I would get the cushion I need.
Ours is a T28FQDX, 32 ft box and 34 ft hitch to rear. Bumper pull, I don't think I'd ever buy another bumper pull. We had a 31 ft fifth wheel, never had the ride we have had with this bumper pull. Outside of the axles being out, it wanders all over the road, settled down some since they repositioned the axles.

Over all we like the trailer layout. Plenty of room for the two of us and our cat . We haul an 800 RZR most of the time. We have hauled our 1800 Goldwing, that worked good, have to watch the angle of the ramp, high centers if you have too much angle.

Good Luck

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:03 PM   #16

Yup easily solved going 5th wheel, or finding a different model TT with more CCC..

This one 3800 lbs and 9500lb GVW..

Just an example... There are so many out there..

XLR Hyperlite 24HFS (DEALER STOCK ONLY) Toy Haulers by Forest River RV
Lawrosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:23 PM   #17

We looked at the hyper light. Pretty spartan and didn’t have a lot of items that will keep my wife happy. It’s a delicate balance I’m playing between weight, legal and happy wife!

I didn’t want to go 5th wheel. I need the bed for one quad and some other items.

We are moving forward with the 28ft trailer. It has a ccc of around +/- 4155 lbs. That is doable with what we want to haul.

I just need to do the DMV stuff is all. Luckily, CA DMV is known for their common sense and efficiency so it should be a breeze 😂
Old 10-18-2017, 01:13 AM   #18
Multi-Slacker

Is the Class A upgrade more than a written test? As in, you need a medical report and a driving test?
Old 10-18-2017, 01:21 AM   #19

Yes the Non Commercial Class A test involves the following according to the DMV website;

Written test to obtain a permit;

Medical Questionare - no Dr visit required.
Eye exam
Retaking written test for Class C if over 12 months since last written
Same if you have a motorcycle M1 endorsement

On a separate day at selected Commercial DMV testing sites:

Hands on Pre trip inspection test
Skills test - backing and parking maneuvers
Driving test - on road driving test.

Thats off the top of my head but covers most if not all of it. Truly a pain but better than dealing with CHP or the insurance company not covering a claim due to driving out of class (essentially being an unlicensed driver)
Old 10-18-2017, 01:34 AM   #20
Multi-Slacker

Man oh man. We are so lucky. We had absolutely no clue about these requirements when we bought our TT. It comes in at 8800 lbs GVW. My wife a took a private driving lesson with the trailer - focused on backing up. She now has to do the driving until my bum foot gets fixed. I'd have to practice a lot. Haven't done any serious trailer backing since I worked on a farm when I was in high school.

Tags
weight