Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2017, 10:38 PM   #1

Smile Maiden voyage in new T28RQDX

Hi All, posting a pic of our new Shockwave T28RQDX. Camped at Ruby's Inn/ Bryce National Park. Had a great time.

Things that worked:
1. No water leaks that I know of, water pump works and city water connection works. Today ordered a Seaflo Accumulator Tank and Valterra water pump silencer kit to reduce water pump run time and hopefully quiet the pump a little.
2. Furnace and thermostat works good. As with my last camper, master bedroom heats better than the main living/garage area. (leave the bedroom door open and that helps alot).
3. Fuel station works great!
4. All appliances work good, fridge, stove, oven and microwave.
5. Slide out worked properly no issues to report.
6. Happijac beds all worked. I did have to cut 1 leg 2 inches shorter on the bottom bed/table benches. I know FR would have sent me the proper one but I did not want to wait. Since there is a beaver tail at the back end next to the ramp the back 2 legs are 2 inches longer than the front 2. (17 inches vs 15) one of the front legs was also 17. so I took it off and cut it 2 inches shorter.
7. Master bed mattress usual cheap looking, added 3 inch memory foam topper. We slept good!
8. 200 watt factory installed Solar seems to be working well. We'll get a better test when dry camping.

Had very few problems:

1. 1500 watt factory installed inverter fuse was bad. Luckily we had full hookups so the fuse was not needed. FR agreed to reimburse me for the fuse. When I got home from the weekend the new fuse was in the mail, tried it and now the inverter works.
2. Kenwood audio system (DDX24BT) did not include a remote control. Contacted FR and they say use Kenwood smart phone remote app. Called Kenwood and it only works on higher end Kenwood head units. Went back to FR and they are looking into this. Even if they get this to work we want a plain old remote, not a phone app.
3. AC works great out of the chill grill but crappy through the ducts. When I got home I added a bunch of foil tape directly underneath the AC unit to channel air into the ducts and generally seal off the area good. Then I went to each duct vent and found a crappy job of foil tape, lots of pieces not pushed down properly and generally unstuck and into the duct area. Spent some time just properly sealing each of the duct vents. Hope this helps, I did not test yet (it was late and time for bed)
4. Master bedroom door did not shut well, the strike plate was too tight against door. Removed the strike plate, got a utility knife and cutout a little material then reinstalled so the strike plate was no longer hanging out. Now the door shuts nicely.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:18 PM   #2

Glad all went well, enjoy your camper.
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:40 PM   #3

Update on the Kenwood head unit. FR is now sending me a remote control! Seems they had incorrect info on the smartphone app.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:58 AM   #4

You might want to check tire wear, our 28FQDX came with the axles mounted with one slightly ahead of the other on the frame rails. (They are headed left in relation to the frame.) We are currently waiting on Lippert Ind to respond with a repair. They have stalled by telling the dealer they aren't getting the pictures and needed info. They wanted measurements and pictures which have been sent to them at least six times, they claim they haven't gotten them. So the service manager printed them and faxed them, the person at Lippert then said the fax machine was in another office so he didn't get them yet. Lippert seems to have great stalling methods.
Forest River put us off saying it was Lippert's responsibility
We have about 3600 miles on ours since we took delivery and we are due new tires due to the excessive wear.
Out side of that problem we have been happy with our trailer.
Good luck with your trailer.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbike View Post
You might want to check tire wear, our 28FQDX came with the axles mounted with one slightly ahead of the other on the frame rails. (They are headed left in relation to the frame.) We are currently waiting on Lippert Ind to respond with a repair. They have stalled by telling the dealer they aren't getting the pictures and needed info. They wanted measurements and pictures which have been sent to them at least six times, they claim they haven't gotten them. So the service manager printed them and faxed them, the person at Lippert then said the fax machine was in another office so he didn't get them yet. Lippert seems to have great stalling methods.
Forest River put us off saying it was Lippert's responsibility
We have about 3600 miles on ours since we took delivery and we are due new tires due to the excessive wear.
Out side of that problem we have been happy with our trailer.
Good luck with your trailer.

where you starting to see noticeable wear by 2000 miles? We have 2000 miles now and see no wear.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoth View Post
where you starting to see noticeable wear by 2000 miles? We have 2000 miles now and see no wear.
The first thing we noticed was the trailer pulled harder than our 31ft fifth wheel. I didn't think about tire wear until almost 3000 miles, then I started measuring tread depth. At 3300 miles the worst one, right front was down to 3/32. I'm sure we were showing wear before that, I just wasn't thinking about it. We now have 3600 miles on them, I moved the tires across, left to right, putting the worst on the best all around.
Our service manager (just called at 1;15) has finally got someone at Lippert to talk to him and says he has received the info. We might be getting somewhere.

This trailer has knocked our fuel mileage down 2 mpg, that was the first concern I had when we took it home. I can't believe it pushes more wind than our fifth wheel did but this new trailer is about a foot taller, plus it's wider.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote