Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #1

Newbie questions?

We are in the learning curve process with our 17ft Shockwave toyhauler. Wondering about:
What is anyone using to keep cabinet doors closed while towing, ie? velcro straps?
Do you leave the water heater on all the time while plugged into power at campsite? Does it run off electric or propane?
le.breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by le.breeze
We are in the learning curve process with our 17ft Shockwave toyhauler. Wondering about:
What is anyone using to keep cabinet doors closed while towing, ie? velcro straps?
Do you leave the water heater on all the time while plugged into power at campsite? Does it run off electric or propane?
Your hw heater may run on electric or propane depending on what model you have.
We leave ours on electric full time while camping and if we need faster recovery time we turn on the gas to help the electric speed up heating.

You didn't mention the year of camper .
That might help in getting answers.

If you have both gas and electric you can run them both at the same time or seperate.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #3

Old 07-23-2012, 11:03 PM   #4

I have a 2012 sandstorm which is pretty much exactly the same as your shockwave and my hot water heater only runs on propane.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:54 AM   #5
Site Team

Unless there's a problem cabinet doors will usually stay close during traveling. Do recommend opening doors slowly as items may had shifted during travel. Sometimes drawers will come open and they can be adjusted which helps somewhat depending on how bumpy the ride is.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:28 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier
Unless there's a problem cabinet doors will usually stay close during traveling. Do recommend opening doors slowly as items may had shifted during travel. Sometimes drawers will come open and they can be adjusted which helps somewhat depending on how bumpy the ride is.
X2
I use different lengths of shower curtain style expandable rods to secure things that I don't want to roll around .......
Ie liquor and anything in glass bottle.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #7

Newbie questions?

We have had the cabinet doors open during travel. Last trip something fell out and hit the motorcycle we were hauling and chipped the fairing
I think it depends on the roads you travel and what you put in the cabinets. I think I will try some short velcro ties just to be sure. Better safe than sorry next time. I guess I should call service department about how the hot water heater runs. There are no gauges on the propane tanks so really want to know if the hot water heater is using propane or electricity when we are plugged into power. Also the handle on the awning is broken after only a few uses, can that we replaced?
Old 07-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
Site Team

le.breeze made a good point. How and what is placed inside the cabinets can factor into the picture too.

When I was using non stackable drinking glasses it would look like a bowling alley when the door was opened. Now I use shorter glasses instead that can be stacked and also keep heavier items lower to the floor.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:26 PM   #9

We have one set of cabinet doors that will open. We use a bungee cord, the type that has a ball on one end and a loop on the other end. Works great. Never opens anymore.

When we stay somewhere long term and have to pay for the electric used we leave the hot water heater OFF until just before needed. It heats up plenty fast for us, especially when you turn the gas on for a few minutes.

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
2011 GMC 3500 HD 4X4, 6.0, 4.10, SRW
Hoo Dad is offline   Reply With Quote