Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2018, 12:23 PM   #1

Stereo failure

On my Shockwave we have had issues with the entire system failing in the past. CW eventually replaced the entire unit with new Axerra AV614BH head unit, and TV with all new last fall. The Axerra replaced a DualBT head unit. Well they had it working, supposedly...... We get the rig home and all sound was going directly into the subwoofer, which sounded like trash. This spring we get it out and everything works great.

Fast forward to now. Take it out and all sound is going back into the sub and trash sound. It plays DVD, disk, BT, etc but one day it works fine and next day it's trash. Keep in mind this last time the trailer hadn't even moved from the camp site. Only 2 days went by and batteries and solar were working fine and full charge.

I keep thinking of bad ground but why would it shut off all indoor small speakers but not the sub?

I will NOT take it back to CW for more warranty work but that is another story.
Just want it to work everytime we want to use it. Not every couple days or couple weeks in some cases.

Thank you all.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:41 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idafrog View Post
On my Shockwave we have had issues with the entire system failing in the past. CW eventually replaced the entire unit with new Axerra AV614BH head unit, and TV with all new last fall. The Axerra replaced a DualBT head unit. Well they had it working, supposedly...... We get the rig home and all sound was going directly into the subwoofer, which sounded like trash. This spring we get it out and everything works great.

Fast forward to now. Take it out and all sound is going back into the sub and trash sound. It plays DVD, disk, BT, etc but one day it works fine and next day it's trash. Keep in mind this last time the trailer hadn't even moved from the camp site. Only 2 days went by and batteries and solar were working fine and full charge.

I keep thinking of bad ground but why would it shut off all indoor small speakers but not the sub?

I will NOT take it back to CW for more warranty work but that is another story.

Just want it to work everytime we want to use it. Not every couple days or couple weeks in some cases.

Thank you all.

Assume you are aware, but just in case: Every time you completely power down, the Axerra unit looses all previous settings (volume, tone, balance and fade) and goes back to factory defaults, which is a pain in the ^%#. So if you get it set just right and then disconnect (e.g., use the battery disconnect) you are back to square one next time. This could explain some of your symptoms. Also, without removing and re-installing in an appropriate enclosure, the sub woofer is totally useless, and best thing to do there is to find the dedicated amplifier and there is a physical gain/volume knob; turn it all the way down (off). Or just disconnect entirely. Someone posted a very detailed account of their sub-woofer enclosure design and install a year ago or so on one of the FR groups.
Not sure if any of that helps, but fwiw.
Jim
mcwhirtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:20 AM   #3

Ya I am aware of the full factory default setting when disconnecting. However we have not disconnected and it just sends all sound to the sub. The 4 other speakers have 0 sound. Even when I disconnect the sub I still have no sound to other speakers.

This has been ongoing issue for 4th season now and 2nd complete head unit replacement. Thinking there has to be a wire issue somewhere but how do you explain that it works one day and the next day it won't, when the camper never even moved?

Got a pro installer coming today to see what he can come up with. We will see.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:30 PM   #4

Camping World strikes again

For some reason the installer last fall hooked the reverse wire, and rear camera wire direct to ground. Created a direct short that fried the deck. No out power to any speaker wire at all. Luckily it didn't hurt the speakers as they still have 4ohms. Found another wire that isn't even a ground coming out of the wall that they had hooked to the deck, and amp ground for some reason. Who knows what it is.

Also this deck wasn't even supposed to be used in the way they thought. It is a stand alone deck for your car only. Not to be adding TV and extra stuff onto. It doesn't even have audio outs on it but CW descided to hook up RCA's to it anyway and send me out the door.

New deck ordered and will be in next week and done by a REAL qualified tech. Lesson learned again.... stay clear, way clear, of CW!!!!
Old 06-02-2018, 08:00 AM   #5

You could have a bad speaker bad wiring or loose connection being that it's happened to two different units take the speakers out check them and disconnect the wire harness in the back of the radio jumper the speaker wires together at the speaker take out multimeter and check continuity between the speaker wire at the wiring harness that would go into the radio 2 ground of the travel trailer if you have continuity you have bad wiring. And maybe tripping the overload protection that protects the output IC you can try disconnecting the speakers at the back of the unit hooking up new speakers or take out your existing once and I'll come straight into the unit and not use the travel trailer wiring if it works then it's definitely something with the wiring of the travel trailer. Hope this makes sense kind of rambling on.
Fly YX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:58 PM   #6

What model and year is your Shockwave? New ones have Kenwood touch screen and so far so good. Just can't figure out how to increase volume for out side speakers.

Jack
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
What model and year is your Shockwave? New ones have Kenwood touch screen and so far so good. Just can't figure out how to increase volume for out side speakers.

Jack
Model and such is in my sig line.
It's the way the jackwagon's at the factory and at Camping World hooked it up. Wires hooked up to ground that should have been capped and not used at all. Add to that they used wire nuts instead of crimps. Wire nuts are for residential use only. They come loose on moving vehicles and can short out.

To get outside speakers to work I have to fade it from front to back to isolate outdoor speakers from indoor. Try that and see if it helps.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:21 PM   #8

Don’t see it in sig line.

Thanks, I will try the fade to increase volume on outside speakers

Jack
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:54 AM   #9

Well after a new deck was installed and working fine for a number of days the audio shut down again

I ended up pulling the deck out, pulling speakers out, and checking connections. Turned out it was a single wire on one 6.5" speaker that had a bad crimp on the spade terminal from the factory. It would lose connection due to moving of any kind in the camper, dogs/people, towing, etc. Crimped a new one on and all is good. If this ever happens again I will tear it all apart and solder on all the connections.

Never had a single speaker wire shut down ALL audio before. Even my pro installer was baffled. Must be something with these newer multi processing head units that if a wire fails it throws a dead short thru the whole system. Normally one speaker wire would just shut down that single speaker and others would continue to work.

Hope this helps others in the future so you don't have to go thru 3 yrs of frustration and bs.

Cheers fellow campers

Tags
stereo