Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2017, 08:23 PM   #21

I bought a different brand trailer and had axel problems , they said they were 3500 lb axels but were real small , had it loaded to about 5300 pounds with "7000" lb rating , first trip bent the axels , took it back to the dealer , "yup , you have bent axels " found out they ordered them small so they coucl back charge the mfg , had to fight and fight to get them to replace the tires , idiot checks tire rack for prices that doesnt include mounting , got some of it covered .
DENNIS EVERETT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:36 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajamike1 View Post
Keep us posted on the outcome
Well Mike we got our trailer back Wed, June 14th, it had been done since the 8th, we had left it at the dealer because we had too many irons in the fire.
Anyway it pulls and tracks sooooo much better now.
The tech from Lippert had to cut and move the spring hangers on the right side back about two inches to the rear. Then had to bend the axles to align the left side. The difference is as obvious as I had thought. When we picked this trailer up new I had to add throttle to get it to move on level pavement. Now our old fifth wheel would roll out at an idle, NOW this pull trailer will too!:thumbs:

The alignment shop I talked to locally said they would not do any cutting and welding so having the Lippert tech doing it was the proper way to go, "liability issues".
Now to use the proper language to get one or the other to pay for tires. 6000 miles and at least two tires are shot, the other two are close to the wear bars.

The saga goes forward.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:46 AM   #23

Glad to hear it's finally taken care of (at least the axles/frame) keep pushing on the tires.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:35 PM   #24

I have been following this thread as I too have uneven tire wear to my T24RQMX. When I took it in for some warranty repairs, I specifically pointed out the tire issue and told them I bought a completed trailer, not a frame and separate box assembly that I put together. Hence, I want this taken care of by FR and I don't want any runarounds. Well, they were approved by FR to take the trailer to a local frame/wheel alignment shop. That's where it is now while waiting for FR to send parts for other warranty issues. Once I get it back, I'll reply with the outcome. This thread was very timely considering my issue.
flhtci2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:38 PM   #25

Long story shortened. Took it in to a dealer for warranty work plus the uneven tire wear. Dealer took it to an axle shop and all wheels were out. Did the alignment by bending the axles. Lippert doesn't agree with bending and wouldn't authorize the repair (which was already done). With Lippert telling me they don't approve of bending and that my warranty would be voided, I chose to not accept the vehicle with bent axles. As of today, it looks like I'm getting new axles.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:58 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoth View Post
Glad to hear it's finally taken care of (at least the axles/frame) keep pushing on the tires.
I posted on a related thread about the out come on the tires but here goes again.
First after e-mailing Lippert Inds customer service I got a reply that they would pay us $65 per tire. Rather than argue I told them I'd take that. Submitted my receipt from Discount Tire for the Goodyear Endurance tires. Last week we were surprised to get a check for the full amount for the cost of the tires. I had mounted them myself so that wasn't compensated but on the other hand we are still waiting for a $100 VISA gift card from Goodyear for their 4th of July promotion. I'm tickled with that, just hated to have to go thru all the hassle to get it straightened out.

We towed the trailer 1500 miles last month, it pulls easier, doesn't wag nearly as much. Still gets a little out of line in a strong wind. On the average it pulls much better. Keep telling DW that we should have gotten another 5ver, just couldn't afford it. We are fine with this trailer, it has gotten much use in the last 10 months. About 81 days and 7500 miles, it's getting used.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
2021 Chev LT 3500
Old 08-09-2017, 10:03 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by flhtci2006 View Post
Long story shortened. Took it in to a dealer for warranty work plus the uneven tire wear. Dealer took it to an axle shop and all wheels were out. Did the alignment by bending the axles. Lippert doesn't agree with bending and wouldn't authorize the repair (which was already done). With Lippert telling me they don't approve of bending and that my warranty would be voided, I chose to not accept the vehicle with bent axles. As of today, it looks like I'm getting new axles.
That's interesting, their own tech bent ours to get it aligned. I'm surprised they don't approve of bending to align them, it sounds like they should be replacing a lot of sets of axles. Seems a lot of people have had trouble with alignment. A local friend sold his FR trailer because of it and opted for a different brand.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
2021 Chev LT 3500
Old 08-11-2017, 06:54 PM   #28

New axles ordered. They need to be made so it'll be about 18 more days.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:02 PM   #29

Quote:
New axles ordered. They need to be made so it'll be about 18 more days.
I think they told you that to stall to get them in. They buy them by the container load, have seen them come into the factory. They will get some from the factory just like every other set. Good Luck, ours were crooked too but Lipperts tech bent them to alignment.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
2021 Chev LT 3500
Old 08-16-2017, 08:45 PM   #30

Lippert agreed to giving me $65 per tire for the replacement. I'm ok with that. Will be going with Goodyear Endurance load range E. The others were load range D.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:55 PM   #31

Quote:
Lippert agreed to giving me $65 per tire for the replacement. I'm ok with that. Will be going with Goodyear Endurance load range E. The others were load range D.

They told me that too but after I sent them the invoice for the tires they sent me the full price for the tires. I mounted them myself so they didn't pay for that but I got my cash expense back.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
2021 Chev LT 3500
Old 08-27-2017, 11:08 PM   #32

Still waiting for axles. But, I talked to the alignment shop and asked them if alignment is required for the new axles, what will they do. He said nothing. He said the only way to correct tow and camber is to bend the axle which they won't do again. More later.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:02 PM   #33

Axles arrived. Old axles were removed. All brake shoes were plastered with grease. Waiting for Lippert to approve replacing pads.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:33 PM   #34

Quote:
Axles arrived. Old axles were removed. All brake shoes were plastered with grease. Waiting for Lippert to approve replacing pads.
I've been telling my wife I don't like these grease zerk axles. I'm going to pull the hubs, clean and inspect the bearings and repack the old fashion way. Do that every year, leave one with peace of mind that you know what the bearings and races looked like then anyway.

One another thought, maybe replace axles with Dexters and disc brakes. I'd sure like to, $$$$.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
2021 Chev LT 3500
Old 09-02-2017, 09:20 PM   #35

Next time I have tire wear issues I will switch to Dexters. I will also go with the HD shackles and equalizer.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:36 PM   #36

YAY
Got the trailer back Tuesday. Got the tires (GY Endurance) installed today, everything is loaded and we're ready to head out to the east coast for DelMarVa bike week. Oh, but wait. Just for kicks I decided to check the axle change job....what.....the axles are installed backwards. Yep...they sure are.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:11 PM   #37

Guess they thought you didn't need for the brakes to work at all?

If it wasn't for bad luck you wouldn't have any luck at all!

Go after those dummies again!

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
2021 Chev LT 3500

Tags
tire