Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2017, 10:32 PM   #1

Tire wear

This is really irritating, only 3300 miles on this trailer since new and one tire is down to 3/32 on the shoulder. The other 3 are between 7 and 4/32, new they are 9/32. Been keeping the pressure at 75 to 80# as per sidewall numbers. Axles don't seem to be aligned properly, working with dealer and Lippert Ind now. Lippert seems to want to put us off with more questions and pictures. But now the it's getting too late, we are camping quite regularly so the miles are adding up and it's about time to replace prematurely worn out tires.
Wish I had a picture of the right side wheels with a straight edge on them. Both tires are headed in one direction but not straight inline..
The left side isn't quite as differing in alignment. Now to just get some answers and action from Lippert. Our dealer has been super on fixing things so far, just FR wouldn't deal with the axles, told us to get hold of Lippert
That's where we are stalled now. I hate to put new tires on faulty axles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3037.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	351.1 KB
ID:	133691   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3038.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	297.8 KB
ID:	133692   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3039.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	335.7 KB
ID:	133693   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3040.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	133694  

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:10 AM   #2

Good luck............FWIW do a web search for problems with Lippert axles. You are not alone by a long shot.

Lippert at one time, back around 2011 or so, were awesome on the customer service side. Something changed.............I suspect greed.

Now days red tape and delay tactics are Lipperts MO. They must hold classes to teach their people how to drag out the process until the customer simply gives up. I attempted to deal with them when their weak water tank supports failed on the way home on the day of purchase, as I was told that's the route I had to take by Rockwood. The supports were a "component". It would of taken months for resolution if in fact it ever was resolved. I modified and repaired it myself, which is what Lippert wanted all along. They have perfected putting the screws to the customer. That essentially made both the FR and Lippert warranties essentially worthless to me.

I think I would be seriously thinking of a change to Dexter axles on my dime.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:47 AM   #3

Mr Havercamp, I understand what you are saying very well. This has been a consideration for the past week. If the brakes will fit the Dexter axles I believe I can do it fairly "cheap". Maybe less than $400, I hope. That would be less than what it costs me for two more trips to the dealer we purchased it from, considering fuel, overnight expenses, etc.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
2021 Chev LT 3500
Old 04-03-2017, 11:51 AM   #4

Simple alignment issue. Bite the bullet and take it to a truck trailer alignment shop and have it done. Go camping.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:40 PM   #5

X2-"Simple alignment issue. Bite the bullet and take it to a truck trailer alignment shop and have it done. Go camping."
bajamike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:42 PM   #6

It appears that your right front tire is the one wearing on the outside edge. This is exactly the same tire wear problem we had on our toyhauler. We own a 2016 Sandstorm T281GSLR which is the same model as yours just different stickers.

When I towed ours I could look down the entire left side of the trailer. When I braked the trailer would pull to one side. The trailer was being towed down the road crooked. I noticed the right front tire was worn on the outside and the other tires had odd wear patterns also. I also thought it was a bent axle.

Our dealer worked with Forest River and Lippert and found that the frame was welded together wrong. It took many measurements and phone calls. The most important measurement was the cross measurements from the left front corner to the center spring hangar on the opposite side and vice versa. Both of these measurements should have been within 1/4" of each other. Mine were 1 7/8" off from each other.

After about a month at the dealership Lippert sent a field technician to address the problem. The tech cut off the right side spring hangers from the main frame and moved them back approximately 1" then welded them back onto the frame. He then laser measured the frame and made sure everything lined up. When I pulled the trailer back home I couldn't see the entire left side anymore and the trailer felt as though it braked straight now. The trailer was repaired in November and we haven't started using it this year yet so we will find out if this repair corrected the tire wear problem. Between Lippert and Forest River all the tires were replaced.

This may or may not be your issue but it sure does sound familiar. Good Luck!
Powderbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:08 PM   #7

If you have a 4x4, truck and trailer brake and front end shop in town...that would be the place. Tell them your trouble and see what their response is. I bet they have fixed this many times.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:11 PM   #8

Thanks, I've already got an appointment for an alignment, can't wait on Lippert any longer. Not going to put new tires on bad axles.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
2021 Chev LT 3500
Old 04-03-2017, 09:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderbear View Post
It appears that your right front tire is the one wearing on the outside edge. This is exactly the same tire wear problem we had on our toyhauler. We own a 2016 Sandstorm T281GSLR which is the same model as yours just different stickers.

When I towed ours I could look down the entire left side of the trailer. When I braked the trailer would pull to one side. The trailer was being towed down the road crooked. I noticed the right front tire was worn on the outside and the other tires had odd wear patterns also. I also thought it was a bent axle.

Our dealer worked with Forest River and Lippert and found that the frame was welded together wrong. It took many measurements and phone calls. The most important measurement was the cross measurements from the left front corner to the center spring hangar on the opposite side and vice versa. Both of these measurements should have been within 1/4" of each other. Mine were 1 7/8" off from each other.

After about a month at the dealership Lippert sent a field technician to address the problem. The tech cut off the right side spring hangers from the main frame and moved them back approximately 1" then welded them back onto the frame. He then laser measured the frame and made sure everything lined up. When I pulled the trailer back home I couldn't see the entire left side anymore and the trailer felt as though it braked straight now. The trailer was repaired in November and we haven't started using it this year yet so we will find out if this repair corrected the tire wear problem. Between Lippert and Forest River all the tires were replaced.

This may or may not be your issue but it sure does sound familiar. Good Luck!

Not knowing where your Sandstorm was built I'm curious as to the build date. Ours was assembled in California in Oct of 15. Maybe the frames came off the same line with the error overlooked for some time. I say this because one of the pictures Lippert wanted was one of the build date sticker.
I'm inclined to agree with you as this is our problem too.

Thanks for your response.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
2021 Chev LT 3500
Old 04-03-2017, 11:21 PM   #10

Ours was built at the Rialto, CA plant in February 2016.

Until Forest River reopened the Hemet, CA plant this year Rialto built all the Sandstorm, Stealth and Shockwave lines.

I was told the frame could have been "bumped" at the assembly plant and knocked out of alignment. My suspicion is Lippert had their frame specs off when they welded the frames together for this particular model.

Hope it gets worked out for you too.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Ours was built at the Rialto, CA plant in February 2016.

Until Forest River reopened the Hemet, CA plant this year Rialto built all the Sandstorm, Stealth and Shockwave lines.

I was told the frame could have been "bumped" at the assembly plant and knocked out of alignment. My suspicion is Lippert had their frame specs off when they welded the frames together for this particular model.

Hope it gets worked out for you too.
Reading this makes me want to try and measure when I go pick up my new rig this week. How hard is this to measure with a measuring tape?
Old 04-03-2017, 11:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoth View Post
Reading this makes me want to try and measure when I go pick up my new rig this week. How hard is this to measure with a measuring tape?
Just put a 6 foot straight edge against the tires will tell you a lot. Ours make it look like the tires are in a left turn instead of being straight inline. Wish I had done this before we took delivery too, but who knows.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
2021 Chev LT 3500
Old 04-04-2017, 11:24 AM   #13

I helped the RV tech measure ours. It wasn't hard to do. Took about 15 minutes. We used the attached worksheet from Lippert. If all the measurements are within 1/4" they say it is all in spec.

The first measurements we took were all related to the toe-in alignment using a straightedge, those measurements checked out as in spec. The next step was checking the spring hanger measurements. We moved to the front inside corner of each frame to center of the center spring hanger and measured the distance. On mine both of these were within 1/4" of each other. Then the last measurement we took was the cross measurement from the inside corner of the front frame rail to the opposite side center of the center spring hanger. This was the measurement that was 1 7/8" different from each other.

Since my trailer was towed 700 miles from California for delivery I noticed during PDI the right front tire appeared to have some outside wear but chalked it up to no load, crosswinds, bad roads, etc. Six months later when I was waiting to see how Lippert was going to fix it I really wished I would have said something during PDI. Lesson learned.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajamike1 View Post
X2-"Simple alignment issue. Bite the bullet and take it to a truck trailer alignment shop and have it done. Go camping."

X3.

I have not done this to my new TT yet, however my brother has done his and was amazed at how far "out" it was. In his case, he just wanted to have it checked; he didn't have any obvious signs. His was an older rig though.

I suspect a lot of us could probably benefit from an alignment... but may never get around to it.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:56 PM   #15

Quote:
I helped the RV tech measure ours. It wasn't hard to do. Took about 15 minutes. We used the attached worksheet from Lippert. If all the measurements are within 1/4" they say it is all in spec.

The first measurements we took were all related to the toe-in alignment using a straightedge, those measurements checked out as in spec. The next step was checking the spring hanger measurements. We moved to the front inside corner of each frame to center of the center spring hanger and measured the distance. On mine both of these were within 1/4" of each other. Then the last measurement we took was the cross measurement from the inside corner of the front frame rail to the opposite side center of the center spring hanger. This was the measurement that was 1 7/8" different from each other.

Since my trailer was towed 700 miles from California for delivery I noticed during PDI the right front tire appeared to have some outside wear but chalked it up to no load, crosswinds, bad roads, etc. Six months later when I was waiting to see how Lippert was going to fix it I really wished I would have said something during PDI. Lesson learned.
That diagram looks like what the service manager showed me when we were in the shop. They measured it for Lippert, then two days later Lippert told them they wanted pictures. I took them when we got home and sent them to the shop. Now waiting on an answer back. In the mean time I have an appointment with an alignment shop on the 24th of this month. If I hear something positive from Lippert I'll cancel the appt and let them take care of it. I don't know if the alignment shop would be into moving the axles.

Thanks for the charts.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
2021 Chev LT 3500
Old 04-27-2017, 03:09 PM   #16

Keep us posted on the outcome
bajamike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajamike1 View Post
Keep us posted on the outcome
We are still trying to work with Lippert Inc. Talked to the service manager at the dealership Monday. He finally got to talk to a rep that sounds like he may be interested in helping. He actually acknowledged receiving the pictures and called back and said he would get to work on it. That was Monday, this is Thursday, I haven't heard anything from the service rep but at least we have a little more hope of something may happen "pretty soon".
I cancelled the appt with the local alignment shop, deciding to wait for Lippert . Going to work on getting new tires out of the deal, these will be completely shot in the next 1000 to 1500 miles, if that long. That will be in less that 5000 miles total.
Hope to hear from service man tomorrow or at least Monday.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
2021 Chev LT 3500
Old 05-08-2017, 10:26 PM   #18

Service manager called last Friday, the 5th, May. Said that Lippert has now agreed to work on it, need to set a date for their tech to come to the dealership and do the work. No date set yet, we'll see. Stay tuned!

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
2021 Chev LT 3500
Old 05-08-2017, 10:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbike View Post
Service manager called last Friday, the 5th, May. Said that Lippert has now agreed to work on it, need to set a date for their tech to come to the dealership and do the work. No date set yet, we'll see. Stay tuned!
Good luck.......When our tank supports failed, and I attempted to get Lippert involved, they sure were helpful. They told me to drop it off at the dealer and they would have one of their techs come there and do the repair. I asked how long after I dropped it off could I expect it to take before their tech arrived. That was the million dollar question to which they could not provide an answer.

When I asked how about you inform me when your tech is scheduled to be at our dealer, and I'll drop the trailer off a day or two before, for some reason that was not an option.

Then the guy copped an attitude when I said I was not interested in dropping off a new unit we had not even used yet, with an open ended timeframe as to when I will get it back. I asked if they would reimburse me for just the cost of some material to repair it myself. Nope, that's against policy also.

I repaired it myself at my own expense and came to the conclusion their warranty is essentially worthless.

I hope you have a better experience with that company, IMO they suck.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:20 PM   #20

We were in the dealership last Wed to have some small things fixed. The service manager made another followup call to Lippert, they have been very poor about returning phone calls. We now have an appointment to have a tech from Lippert in the dealer's shop to repair the alignment problem on June 8th.
Hopefully this will be the end of the worst part of this trailer's problems, the rest have been mainly cosmetic. The dealer has been very good to work with on all of them, considering we are 345 miles away, we just call and tell him when we will be in town and he has accommodated us very well. Never have had to leave the trailer overnight.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
2021 Chev LT 3500

Tags
tire