Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2016, 09:12 AM   #11
Site Team
 
KyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 6,732
For years I've used a little cigarette socket inverter to power the TV when we're boondocking. It is not perfect and the TV has some light/dark bars in the screen but we've watched many hours of TV with that little $20 inverter. Just today received a pure sine wave inverter bought off Ebay. There is a power seller there who "auctions" them off every day. I kept bidding on different ones until I finally got one for $29 + $10 shipping $39 total.
I've seen them go for as low as $24 but that's pretty rare.
You can search Ebay for PURE SINE WAVE POWER INVERTER 300/600 WATT if you're interested.
A modern 27" LCD TV probably would run on a 50 watt inverter but they don't typically make them that small in pure sine wave models.

My TV came with the rig and it puzzled me why they don't just make them
straight 12v to begin with.... It's a jensen that is made for RVs.

__________________

__________________
Peace!
Dan & Rita D
2004 5.3L Silverado 1500 ext. cab 2WD
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:21 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 3,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
For years I've used a little cigarette socket inverter to power the TV when we're boondocking. It is not perfect and the TV has some light/dark bars in the screen but we've watched many hours of TV with that little $20 inverter. Just today received a pure sine wave inverter bought off Ebay. There is a power seller there who "auctions" them off every day. I kept bidding on different ones until I finally got one for $29 + $10 shipping $39 total.
I've seen them go for as low as $24 but that's pretty rare.
You can search Ebay for PURE SINE WAVE POWER INVERTER 300/600 WATT if you're interested.
A modern 27" LCD TV probably would run on a 50 watt inverter but they don't typically make them that small in pure sine wave models.

My TV came with the rig and it puzzled me why they don't just make them
straight 12v to begin with.... It's a jensen that is made for RVs.

Maybe I am confused,,, but ours is a 12v Jensen ???
Plugs into 12v in a cabinet above the entry door,,,
on our Sunseeker !!!
__________________

__________________
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:26 AM   #13
Site Team
 
KyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 6,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Maybe I am confused,,, but ours is a 12v Jensen ???
Plugs into 12v in a cabinet above the entry door,,,
on our Sunseeker !!!
My 27" Jensen has a household 120v cord and it plugs into a duplex outlet right next to it. At least the antenna booster has a 12v cigarette socket so we can easily plug in our inverter when necessary. I'd go retrieve the model number but it's pouring outside right now....

Afterthought-- my rig has an outside mount for the TV and there is a 120v socket out there too. I guess if the Jensen TV was 12v they'd have had to run a 12v supply out there too... it STILL seems silly to have a TV in a 12v RV that has an internal power supply to change the 120v AC supply back to 12v DC to power the guts of the TV... so if we're boon docking we invert 12v to 120 and the TV promptly converts that back to 12v internally. (shrug....)
__________________
Peace!
Dan & Rita D
2004 5.3L Silverado 1500 ext. cab 2WD
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:32 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 3,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
My 27" Jensen has a household 120v cord and it plugs into a duplex outlet right next to it. At least the antenna booster has a 12v cigarette socket so we can easily plug in our inverter when necessary. I'd go retrieve the model number but it's pouring outside right now....
Soon to be pouring here I guess ???
__________________

__________________
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

« Bedroom TV | 21fqmx »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:46 PM.