Old 06-16-2015, 01:05 AM   #1
AMG

2016 Stealth WA2916 - Kicker Subwoofer Sucks?

I have had the trailer 3 days. It was brand new direct off the PDI lot, so not even shown on the lot to anyone, ordered for me.

Is it just me or does that Kicker sub/amp combo suck? I have the bass int he headunit set at the bottom and I can barely turn the volume up. It sounds totally blown. You know that sound when some kid overloaded the speakers and it just sounds blown out? Anyone have any experience with this sub/amp combo n such? I am also wondering if maybe the amp gain may be set too high, but gotta find the amp, and still not sure...

That headunit seems to suck too. Not sure why they didnt install something like a Pioneer, Jensen, Kenwood, etc. with at least a semi decent interface. I am debating swapping it out with another DDIN unit.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:02 PM   #2

With mine the speaker and head-unit itself seems to sound fine, it's the chintzy encasement that they are built into that makes it sound crappy. If I listen to music or watch movies with any reasonable base it will rattle and vibrate the entire cabinet. I suppose I could tear it out and redo it, but it's not that big of deal; I don't listen to music too often inside the RV. I use the "Rock-Blocker" outside a lot.

'17 F350 STX 6.7 CCSB
'15 Stealth 2313
stealthWA2313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:50 PM   #3

There is a power adjustment on the amp. I turned mine down.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:31 PM   #4

I think the whole thing is crap. It takes me a min. to just turn the outside speakers on or off. That sub sounds terrible in my trailer I have it turned off most of the time. The amp is above the head unit on top of the upper cabinet. I was thinking of putting a toggle switch for the outside speakers and one for the sub. I think a type of dynamat in the sub enclosure would help a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 06-24-2015, 05:35 PM   #5

I took out the entire cabinet where the subwoofer is an bought a new sub box that I can move around the trailer. Sounds good to me, especially watching movies

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 06-24-2015, 05:52 PM   #6
AMG

That headunit is a piece of crap too. Makes me think that getting a couple year old middle-grade Pioneer, Alpine, JVC, Kenwood, etc. with sub level control could be worth it. I may look in to this, and also possibly if it had HDMI out, I'd love to be able to have HD to the TV's, not just crap yellow composite connection for video.

Thinking, I will have the dealer investigate as it's 2 weeks old, havent even taken it out. If all that fails, after my regular warranty is over, I will dynamat the inside of the box.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:32 AM   #7

We ported ours and sprayed with spray foam and that made a huge difference.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:34 PM   #8

Hey AMG I know this thread is a bit older but I also know you recently just took your rig out. With all the slide/water issues you had, did you have time to turn the gain down on the amp and play with the settings. For what it's worth I turned my gain down to about 5% and the bass down to about 2-3 in the head unit for the right sound in ours and it was fantastic. I'm with ya though on the HDMI though. Who even uses crap yellow wires anymore?! I'm also looking into adding two more Kicker speakers to the ceiling more towards the TV area but that may be down the road more.

Also, I'm going to find a very long headphone male/male cable to run from our tv headphone out port to the aux port on the front of the head unit to get tv sound through the kickers.
2014 Brute Force 300 (daughters)
2016 Days Camped: 22
Check Us Out On YOUTUBE!!
PolarisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:04 PM   #9
AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarisGuy View Post
Hey AMG I know this thread is a bit older but I also know you recently just took your rig out. With all the slide/water issues you had, did you have time to turn the gain down on the amp and play with the settings. For what it's worth I turned my gain down to about 5% and the bass down to about 2-3 in the head unit for the right sound in ours and it was fantastic. I'm with ya though on the HDMI though. Who even uses crap yellow wires anymore?! I'm also looking into adding two more Kicker speakers to the ceiling more towards the TV area but that may be down the road more.

Also, I'm going to find a very long headphone male/male cable to run from our tv headphone out port to the aux port on the front of the head unit to get tv sound through the kickers.
I did stand up on my stool and see the amp on top. I thought about the gain on it, but didn't deal with it. I saw the post about lowering the gain and having people more satisfied. I think I may use some Dynamat style stuff inside the enclosure to help it later on. I am under warranty of course, so i dont really plan on doing many modifications YET. I really dislike that headunit they use, it is a piece of crap. I also dislike the fact that the only inside speakers are in the rear. I too want to have another set inside. I really need to ponder this a bit and see what the best long term strategy could be as I too want TV sound through the speakers, but for now I am only entertaining the idea of reducing the gain to see, or else warranty concern.
I'll let you know after I get this back from Giant RV with the slide issue, and deal with all that crud, and think about the sub again.
Thanks!
Old 09-15-2015, 04:26 AM   #10

After takings our trailer out for the first time after being at the dealer for so damn long I just found out my sub doesn't even work...
What are all the settings on your guys' amp's set at? Maybe mine is wired wrong???

I'm going to replace the head unit, seeing as the touch screen no longer works after pulling it out to reattach the output to the TV (since it would randomly pop up "no signal" in the middle of a movie)

If I switch my head unit to either aux/input 1 or 2 (can't remember off the top of my head) it'll play the TV through the speakers...