Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2019, 12:33 AM   #1

A/C problems

Good Evening Stealth Owners, my wife and i purchased a 2018 FQ2916 approx 6 months ago and had a few minor problems and one which hasn't been able to get resolved. We have 2 a/c units a 15500 in the main section and a 1300 in the bedroom. We live in southern california along the colorado river where the temps in the summer can reach 120 degrees but most of the time its between 105 to 110, when we get ready to head to cooler weather i firer up the generate (5500) and turn on both a/c units the bedroom unit runs great but the main unit will shut down and pop the breaker in approx 3 hrs, i ran an electrical check and found that the gen is only putting out 108 volts when both units are up and running and this was done the last week of dec where the temps are in the high 60s i can only imagine what the drop would be in the dead of summer. how can i increase the out put of the generator or does it need to be replaced?
caelcamino71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:04 AM   #2
Coach

I'm assuming you've verified proper voltage with no load? What else is running with your generator? If you have a fridge and water heater running on electric with both ac's, you're likely drawing more than your 5500 can provide.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:50 AM   #3

First, find out the continues wattage output of your generator. It will be less than the 5500 start up rating. Next, add up the total wattage of everything you are trying to run at the same time. 2 A/C's will pretty much max out the total wattage availability of your generator. What your are experiencing is Voltage drop from your gen. If both A/S's attempt to start at the same time The breakers will trip. Some gens only put out 30 amps even though they are on 50 amp services. Check the wattage 2 breakers on the gen.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:41 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

It sounds as though you are up against the limitations of your 5500w generator when running both A/C units. Remember, you will have some other residual things drawing power when the generator is on such as the converter and or any other 120v items you have on at that time.

You really can't easily increase the output of the generator so you might look into installing EastStart by Micro-Air soft-starts on the A/C units. They help the A/C start with less current.

I don't personally have experience with them but many here do and report good results. Do a search for EasyStart or Micro-Air and you'll get some reading.

There was a discount for FRF members a few months back. I'm not sure it still applies but it's worth checking into.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:12 AM   #5
Site Team

Doesn't sound like an AC issue, but rather a power demand issue. As mentioned, you need to check you current draw. 5500 watts max is not a lot of generator if you are going to try to run your RV like a B&M house.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:36 AM   #6

Voltage is probably not an issue, as voltage has a varying number that is not always 'exactly' 120volts, but can swing lower or higher within range...

while it seems aggravating to most, generators are typically installed to fit the amperage needs of most coaches, though when breakers start tripping, they soon realize that Shore Power gives them all they need, but their own generator may not seem up to the task.

First, your coach is a 50amp(100amps total) Main electrical panel type, meaning that you can access and use 50amp RV Service from Shore Power, which is two SIDES of 50amp power, with one side having your FRONT A/C unit, and other breakers, and the other side having power to your REAR A/C unit, and other breakers.
When you are using both A/C units at the same time, they are drawing from different hot legs of the power supply, even when the power supply is your generator.

Your generator, though, only has an output of about 25amps PER SIDE, close to 50amps total, NOT the 100amps you get from Shore Power. So, when you are running BOTH A/C units on the generator, the power(amps) that are left is far less than when you are on Shore Power. You'll only have about 10amps left on the side with the larger FRONT A/C unit, and about 15amps on the side with the REAR A/C.

Look in your electrical MAIN PANEL... see which breakers are on the same 'side' of the panel along with your FRONT A/C unit, which is the one you seeing tripping often with. If you have the electric Water Heater on this same side, then turn OFF your elec water heater switch in these situations, as the water heater is calling for a BIG amount of amps when it is working, which can add to the tripping of your breaker while your front A/C is running on your generator.
Ultimately, the other 'things' that are on the same side of power as your FRONT A/C are going to impact 'when' the breaker trips. I'm assuming you are meaning that your Generator breaker is tripping in this situation, which would make sense.

Is it your generator's breaker that is tripping?
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:39 PM   #7

A/C breaker

Thanks Guys on your input, FormerFR it is my larger a/c unit breaker that is popping, When I ran the test I had all the other electrical sources turned off so the only draw were the a/c units. The input i got from the reply's have open my mind to do further testing and measuring the various options. Thank You
caelcamino71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:53 AM   #8

you may have a loose wire on that breaker, causing it to arc/trip at certain temps when the air has been running for a while - ours did this early on - a loose wire at the breaker from the factory - tightened down - no more issues
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote