Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2018, 01:35 PM   #1

Cap Reset? Warranty Issues

I have a 2017 2715FQ Stealth Toy Hauler. Overall we are pleased but are having a few issues with it now. Last year it developed a leak and we had water running out of an electrical outlet in the bed room. We took it to the dealer and they found 'multiple' voids in the sealant on the front cap. After our last trip, I was inspecting the trailer and noticed the siding is separating from the corner molding on the front right corner. It was covered by butyl but the buty is separating and the gap is visible. The butyl on the opposite corner is also starting to come off and revealing a void on that side as well.

Forest River says to remove the corner molding reapply butyl and it will be fine. However, the void is approximately 1/4 inch back from the molding and the butyl will not fill the void.

My dealer says they have experienced this same problem with another trailer that was the same model as mine and that the cap needs to be reset. They don't want to do the 'fix' that Forest River has suggested as they say the issue is bigger than simply applying new sealant.

Has anyone else had warranty issues or experienced an issue with the siding separating? The linked video will give a better explanation.

https://youtu.be/B0-Q6-BH0dI
WarCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 02:26 PM   #2
Site Team

The dealer dont want to do the fix? Whats their issue doing it?

This can happen with most TT at one time or another. Just driving down the road makes em flex. Think the butyl is squeezing out from flex.

Under the black plastic trim are screws. You might want to check for loose screws, make sure they are snug.
Replacing butyl shouldn't be a big deal. Probably dealer not making enough on repairs.
Are you under warranty?

Some of this is normal imo. I dont see anything alarming in the video.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:11 PM   #3

I don't think I was clear in explaining it. The siding is about 1/4 inch away from the molding. The dealer is advising that just replacing the butyl will not fix it. They think the cap is not mounted correctly on the front of the trailer. The dealer can't do the work to 'reset' the cap. They are advising that it needs to go back to Forest River for repairs.
WarCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:25 PM   #4
Site Team

Okay, I played the video again. Think I see what your talking about at the 9 to 15 second mark. If the screws on the trim are seated snug then you do have a gap.

If you haven't already, I would talk to forest river myself about this issue.
Good luck and do let us know how things go.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:44 PM   #5

Cap Reset ?

Have your dealer send a message to warrenty Dept even if not in warrenty. Give them your info on make, mod, ser #and issue. Ask them to contact you. They will I know. They will ask you to email pics and make a decission. If they want it back at the factory they will come and get and return it, or pay your expenses to get it there. It's worth the time to meet them. I know this from personal experience. Good luck
831 BHDS Flagstaff 2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:17 PM   #6

Too bad it took so long to see leaks, now watch for bubbles in wall covering. Sounds like your dealer is incompetent and hopes his crummy solution will last one or two years and you will trade for a new RV. We had a competitive RV, seal was missing around back window - whole back had to be replaced - mold and blisters. By-pass the dealer go to the manufacturer.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. J. Schuler View Post
Too bad it took so long to see leaks, now watch for bubbles in wall covering. Sounds like your dealer is incompetent and hopes his crummy solution will last one or two years and you will trade for a new RV. We had a competitive RV, seal was missing around back window - whole back had to be replaced - mold and blisters. By-pass the dealer go to the manufacturer.
Um did you read that thoroughly. The dealer doesn’t want to do the repair as advised from forest river not cause they can’t but they believe it will not fix the issue and Forrest river is kicking the van so to speak. So they basically want forest river to come make it right by taking the trailer and resetting the front cap Sounds like great dealer
Svtyone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty