Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2015, 12:19 AM   #1

Considering Stealth WA2812G - anyone have experience?

My wife and I have his & her motorcycles, and after renting a toy hauler for a trip to death valley, we decided to sell our old TT and are now looking to buy a toy hauler. We really like the size of the Stealth WA2812G - have not seen anything else in that nitch. It isn't huge so we can get into most of the state and forest service campgrounds. It will easily fit our bikes, and the slide out option at the sofa makes it roomy. I really like that they cut the width of the bunk over the garage and created more living space. That was brilliant. And I can easily tow it with my super-duty.

So it seems perfect. But we have zero experience with Forrest River and only one (very positive) rental experience with toy haulers in general. But a LOT of experience with towables in general (15+ years, many many miles).

Does anyone on the forum own or have experience with this model or know someone who does? Any advice to offer, things to watch for? Would be greatly appreciated.

Jim
mcwhirtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwhirtj View Post
My wife and I have his & her motorcycles, and after renting a toy hauler for a trip to death valley, we decided to sell our old TT and are now looking to buy a toy hauler. We really like the size of the Stealth WA2812G - have not seen anything else in that nitch. It isn't huge so we can get into most of the state and forest service campgrounds. It will easily fit our bikes, and the slide out option at the sofa makes it roomy. I really like that they cut the width of the bunk over the garage and created more living space. That was brilliant. And I can easily tow it with my super-duty.

So it seems perfect. But we have zero experience with Forrest River and only one (very positive) rental experience with toy haulers in general. But a LOT of experience with towables in general (15+ years, many many miles).

Does anyone on the forum own or have experience with this model or know someone who does? Any advice to offer, things to watch for? Would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

So we go this trailer primarily because this is the shortest 5th we could find. Our parking spot only allows a max of 34 feet.

We love the dual ACs, interior design and just about everything about it.
So far we safety transported 3 sportbikes using wheel chocks and a bunch of tie downs.

When we bought the trailer we ran into a couple issues;
1. There is a check valve in the line between the black flush hose connection and the black water tank. Our check valve was missing a protecting cap that would allow a stem to pop up to allow water to the tank and not the other way around. The Check Valve is located in the bathroom under the sink (inside the cabinet), the stem would hit the bottom of the sink. Long story short, when we wanted to flush the tank water went everywhere but the black tank, we flooded the cabinet, bathroom, kitchen area, basement and generator area till we figured it out...

We took the tore everything apart to get fans and a dehumidifier inside the trailer, luckily we acted fast enough that we don't have any water damage.

Later we got the trailer to a local auth dealer and they got it fixed.

2. LED back up lights, one of ours was very dim, one of the window's screens was bent but still functional and we asked the dealer/salesman to fix it on our "due bill", never got fixed...

3. The audio system, on my trailer there are 4 regular and one sub woofer, the sub itself is a decent sub woofer but the box it is mounted too is not a real box, so if you have the sub on, it makes a HORRIBLE rattling and just sounds bad. We turned mine off till i can figure out something. The other 4 speakers, 2 are inside, and 2 are outside. They didnt run an audio cable from the TV to the audio deck. But the deck does have a DVD player built in that does have audio to the speakers.

4. The over head LED lights in the bedroom are way too bright if you are trying to lay in bed and read a book, or look up.

5. The tongue Weight is a heavy 2,400 lbs! empty

6. The dual water tanks are not easy to full.

ADVICE;
We added "Steady Fast" stabilizer jacks, a WORLD of difference ! This is our first 5ther and I was very surprised on how much this thing moved around without the stabilizer jacks.

Dont go cheap!
We started with a Carson Trailer (ill let others chime in on that one) get what you want, in the end youll want to upgrade anyways, figure out what you want/need and get it!

Ensure your truck is up to the task, dont go cheap on the hitch too, its the one piece connecting your $50K trailer to your truck...

Any Questions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11013042_10206925993336653_7680874496251317996_n.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	92274   Click image for larger version

Name:	11058716_10206925992856641_8099787102024488956_n.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	92276  
Attached Images

GO NAVY
DodgeNerd85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:49 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply- very helpful. Only two questions:
Q1: Hitch weight is one of my concerns - the value you quote (2400lbs) is higher than what is in the Forrest River spec sheet (2,164 lbs)

Stealth Toy Haulers by Forest River RV

Did you actually weigh it? And it should lighten somewhat with the bikes loaded behind the axles. At least in principle - not sure how much that buys you in practice.

Related Q2: Where are the dual water tanks located relative to the axles? I did not note when we were looking at the trailer last weekend- will check next time, but if you can give general idea would be useful.

My F250 has aftermarket air bags (Firestone) on rear axle to assist in keeping suspension level in and in middle of travel. I will be at the edge of the official GVWR with the WA2812G. But the F350 has 1000 lb more GVWR and the only difference is an an extra 2" in the axle block to extend suspension range of travel and maintain a level attitude when loaded. The air bags accomplish most of the same.

The stealth WA2812G we looked at did not have the 2nd A/C - I think that is an option. We are definitely looking to get the sofa slide out. I'm finding a fair number of these w/i a day's drive, and I recently realized that the exact same trailer exists in the Shockwave and Sandstorm lines (different color schemes) and that has further increased the options.
If/when we buy - will definitely keep your experience in mind, especially regarding the check valve cap. I saw a number of post on the forum related to the sub-woofer needing a cabinet. Seems that this was an afterthought and not well planned out. But I like projects!

Thanks again, and especially for the pics showing it with the bikes loaded.

Jim
Old 10-21-2015, 11:29 AM   #4

A1; Im not sure, but I have the bedroom slide-out with AC and 5500 geni, so I know that will add some weight?? I havent had the chance to weigh it myself. i would assume the bikes would counter the weight a little but not much.

A2; I am not home to check, but 99% sure the 60 gal is located above the first axle, and the 100 gal tank just fwd of that tank. Toy Hauler manufacturers assume you will be hauling toys, so they design/build the trailers assuming youll have toys in the back. The gas station/tank for your geni is aft of your rear axle.

I have Airlift bags with on-board compressor, it does wonders. Is your Ford a long bed? 4x4?
We are at a major disadvantage because we love the Mega Cab too much, the other cabs have a much higher payload capacity and GVWR because they do not weigh as much as the mega cabs.

Yes the Shockwave and Sandstorm are pretty much the same trailer, we loved the stealth's design the most, and i think (dont remember) the stealth might have have the largest basement... dont quote me on that.

NP with the Pictures, this is my first trailer with a slide-out so we never had to worry about the bikes really moving side to side til now (not that they ever really moved), but the blue bike had about an inch of clearance before it started touching the slide-out.
GO NAVY
Old 10-25-2015, 09:07 PM   #5

DodgeNerd86 -
Thanks for the note (and picture) regarding loading the toys w/ sofa slide pulled in. We looked at several Stealth and Shockwave versions of this trailer yesterday (long day of driving to visit several locations). I think we are settling in on one Shockwave we saw. I measured, inspected and even crawled underneath and checked axles and tank locations on both the Shockwave and Stealth, and I think they are identical except for the color scheme.

On the sofa slide: I had never even considered the impact on garage space because all the trailers we had looked at had the slide out - until yesterday, when we saw one with the slide pulled in and I instantly realized "oh!". I don't think it will be an issue for us, but it will make it slightly more complicated to load both bikes. Your picture was very helpful.

We are in "think about it" mode now - but after another weekend of shopping, we still haven't found a floor plan we like better. Thanks so much for your input.

One thing we saw on a couple of the 2016 models is that they are now adding cables to make a patio using the back door/ramp. I saw this topic on several other threads - what they did was to weld in a triangle-shaped bracket into the upper corner of the trailer frame, where the cable attaches. This seems to be something new this year, and is an option. Would be easy to bolt (or weld) a plate to do the same thing after the fact, I think.

Jim
Old 10-28-2015, 02:52 AM   #6

Good luck shopping!
GO NAVY
Old 11-07-2015, 01:16 PM   #7

Update: Closing the deal today on a Shockwave F28SAGDX (same as the Stealth WA2812G except for interior decor scheme)! We went for the sofa slide - it adds a nice amount of space and I am confident we can fit the two bikes despite the intrusion of the slide-wall.

Now I need to get a fifth wheel hitch for my short bed F250. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the Pullrite superglide.

Jim
Old 11-08-2015, 03:56 AM   #8

Congrats! dont forget to post pictures

I have the superglide, love it
GO NAVY
Old 11-23-2015, 01:22 AM   #9

We did it! Picked up our Shockwave F28SAGDX (same floorplan as Stealth WA2812G) last weekend. Got the Pullrite Superglide hitch installed just in time. Dealer we purchased from is about 150 miles away, so we spent the night in an RV park before coming home as a short "dry run". Going on a trip over Thanksgiving that will be our first real go. So far so good - no major issues. Was really pleased with how well it towed behind my F250. I have towed trailers for many years and this is our first fifth wheel. Let the good times rol l

Getting dark early these days - not much opportunity to take decent photos. But here are a couple.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151114_182027.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	94843   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1447562671475.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	94844  
Old 11-23-2015, 06:48 AM   #10

lookin good !

Do you have the dual fresh water tanks? have you tried filling it up all the way ?
GO NAVY
Old 11-23-2015, 10:59 AM   #11

Yes and "no but sort-of yes". The dealer did fill both tanks during the PDI, and told us that they found a leak in the connecting/cross-over pipe/tube between tanks, which they supposedly fixed. I say "supposedly", because it was getting past closing time and ours were one of two trailers they were trying to get out the door, and it occurred to me that I shouldn't take it for granted that they remembered to fix it - so I am going to check soon. I'm recovering from shoulder surgery so I'm limited in the amount of crawling around and fixing things I can do at the moment. For our upcoming trip we will not need much water.

We did install a water filter on the kitchen cold water line this weekend, under the sink, over the top of the hot water heater. Did this on our last trailer as well - well worth the investment. I put in an activated charcoal filter cartridge, and no more "plastic" taste. Was a bear to install. Especially given my only-one-good-arm condition. My wife did most of the hard work with me directing. And we're still talking!