Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2013, 07:39 AM   #101

This is just my personal opinion and it's based on 40 years working and teaching mechanics, owning 2 MH's and 3 TT's and reading many, many, many posts concerning poor quality workmanship, and under building units. It's all about the bottom line. If they sell 1000 units and only 5 get more than 500-2,000 miles of use every year they can afford to go cheap. The number of complaints will be small and if they deflect and stall regarding their responsibility like they've done here they are $$$$$ ahead.

We have a FR 26 FKWS. It is supported by 4 stabs, 1 on each corner, 2-scissors jack on the frame in front of the front axle and supports under the long slide support rails. My computer screen up front vibrates when the 7-LB cat jumps off the bed in back.

Our camper has a dry weight of 6,000# and a max weight of 7,000#. It came with 2-3,000# axles. They are relying on a certain amount of tongue weight being carried by the truck and the fact that we won't put more than 400-to 500 # of cargo. It's obvious that we couldn't carry much water in the tanks either.

Lets also mention that most TT's do not come with shocks either. Shocks would lessen the stress and strain placed on the suspension and also reduce the torsional twisting placed on the frames.

That is deliberate engineering planning by FR to build on the cheap and just hope nothing happens or if it does that we eventually give up. And it's not just FR but others that are also guilty.
JMTCW
TeJay
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:51 AM   #102
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
...Shocks would lessen the stress and strain placed on the suspension and also reduce the torsional twisting placed on the frames...
Adding shocks sure made a difference in how my 5ver and truck rides. Stops the bounce on the trailer AND the truck. It is a labor intensive project and a little costly, but it was worth it for me.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #103

My condolences for your father I totally understand. I do appreciate the time you have taken.

My water well took a dump and have a driller on site for several days. Will post photos of repair soon

Would love to see shock installation.

I think the lack of use design criteria is an excellent and valid point. I use my 5 er but don't abuse it. I was in the cattle business for many years and used stock trailers They were used in torturous conditions and put literally tens of thousands of miles with never a frame failure. It's a shame for the little extra money it would require to make these units more durable that forest river and lippert would subscribe to a business model like that.
soccerloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #104
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerloco View Post
...Would love to see shock installation...
Here you go.
Forest River Forums - OldCoot's Album: Adding shock absorbers to Alko torsion axles
Old 03-29-2013, 09:03 AM   #105

Thanks for the photos...I think this would be a great addition. I travel a lot on California roads and they are really bad. Amazing it used to be that California had the best roads in the country. I live in Nevada and many of our roads are asphalt but they very smooth and well maintained. This could be a very helpful summer projects...thanks...
Old 03-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #106

sadly it appears that yet again lippert is cutting corners and using to thin of material on there frames. hope you get this fixed right which would be better than lippert would do!! lol hate to see anyone with such problems. with all the issues with lippert frames it is a shame more people don't report them to the ntsha like has been done in canada.
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #107

I've designed and installed shocks on our first TT and it did make a difference as far as the ride. OldCoot did a real nice job designing the ones for his rig and I think I can adapt what he did to ours. I guess his slide was in the way on the drivers side. I've looked and I can mount the same on both sides and I'll set it up so the arc of the Tor-Flex axle movement is as close to right angles as I can get it so the shock is mounted efficiently.

TeJay
Old 03-29-2013, 10:40 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
That is deliberate engineering planning by FR to build on the cheap and just hope nothing happens or if it does that we eventually give up. And it's not just FR but others that are also guilty.
JMTCW
TeJay
Sadly you're right on the money (no pun intended). You would think that they'd put a little more into these units when the price tags on them are this high. It's a shame. Corporate greed out ranks safety and quality. I've had my brand new 23SS for about 3 weeks now and am still finding things wrong with it. I have a call in to the dealer on something bring missing and they're not getting back to me either.
PhotoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:48 AM   #109

Went on a boondock trip this weekend and had to load my water tanks full. Had to travel about a mile from paved highway but the dirt roads here in Nevada for the most part are smoother than most pave highways. No problems repair has apparently resolved problem. I must say that the trailer as I have mentioned before, seems to tow better than before. I think and this may be subjective, that the trailer seems to straight line better. It has always towed well but less corrections going down the road. Its been more than two weeks and no response from Lippert or Forest River regarding my repairs. Well enough said!!
Old 03-31-2013, 03:39 PM   #110

Sure glad it's worked out for you so far. Your local repairs were probably far above what Lippert or FR would have done. That's purely a guess on my part but they didn't seemed to concerned that you had the cracks in the first place so why expect any better if they attempted a repair.

TeJay
Old 04-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #111

You are so right. For lippert it was about money and more importantly they don't want to admit fault. I can imagine their repair ideas would have been from the same place. They never offered anything not even if I paid for it like an engineered drawing.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #112

Very strange more than a month after communicating with forest river and no response from them I received an email that was sent to another forest river person to review my cracked frame warranty. Should be interesting from here. Will let you all know if anything happens. Now that I have had it repaired!!

« Ss1812 | Rhino »