Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #1

Enjoying my new toy

Just bought 22ft Sealth toy hauler. Is there anything I should watch out for?
showtime0022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Other drivers, narrow places and pine trees that jump out and bite you.
Sorry, I just couldn't help it!
Enjoy!

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
hey Richard...
you forgot one... low overhead abutments.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #4

So no going thru drive-thrus..lol
Old 04-09-2011, 04:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime0022 View Post
So no going thru drive-thrus..lol
You CAN do the drive-thru, but THIS might happen if you do!!!

John

PS. to the forum and congrats of the new camper!
Nights Camped: '06=122 '07=12 '08=18 '09=10 '10=18 '11=28 '12=16
kalik282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:58 PM   #6

PS. Here's the aftermath of that LITTLE mishap...

John
Nights Camped: '06=122 '07=12 '08=18 '09=10 '10=18 '11=28 '12=16
kalik282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:53 PM   #7
Crookedread

I bought a FB2312 in November and really like it but there were a few things that I had troubles with. 1. I discovered a leak the first night in the closet in the bathroom. Caulking was not done properly around the front clearance lights so when the water ran down the top of the trailer, it leaked into the trailer at the top of the lights. 2. Couldn't open the vents when it was raining because the rain would splach into the interior.(Seems like it has rained every day since November) It also made it very hard to handle the condensation. 3. No stabilizers on the front which allows the front of the trailer to shake when you are walking around or the wind blows hard.(seems like it has been windy since November) 4. Hot water tank started to leak. 5. I have a small leak above the door which I have not been able to stop yet.

Here are some of the things I would do differently next time. The day of delivery I would inspect and caulk the entire trailer. Have Maxxair vents installed so you can open the vents, even when it is raining. Have front stabilizers installed. Remove the tubing from the hot water heater and tighten the nipples (they were finger tight) and tighten the drains at the same time. My small leak is possibly coming from the air conditioner, once again, probably a caulking of gasket problem.

Since the November delivery I have only put 300 miles on it and have spent 88 nights in it. I am living four nights a week in it until the end of the project I am working on. I have had a few problems but they were all small stuff. I really like the layout and it feels like it is larger than it is. I would definetly buy another!
crookedread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:33 PM   #8

Crookedread - Your list seems like a lot but I like that you still remain very optimistic, should be very reassuring for anyone looking to buy this unit....
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:19 AM   #9

Show, where did you buy yours?
I picked mine out at the RV show at LA fairgrouns from Giant RV and picked it up Dec 31st. I've taken mine back for fixes and so far they've done a good job.
jdmac15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:51 AM   #10
Crookedread

I bought mine from Giant RV about the same time but had it delivered to Oregon just before Thanksgiving. They arranged for a hauler to deliver it to my driveway. Right now the trailer is about 875 miles from Los Angeles so tough to get it back there.
Once I find a problem, I just have to figure out whats going on. Then it has usually been so easy to fix, I just go ahead and fix it. Besides, I like knowing where things are so that when I am dry camping I know what to look for and hopefully even have a few spare parts. The forum has really helped also. I think of it as an investment in my future camping trips since I will be retiring soon and have plans to wear out a couple of quads in the Oregon desert and forests.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:23 AM   #11

I bought mine from Giant RV. I think Stealth line only exclusive to Giant RV in socal market. They do sell them from other west coast vendors, where Giant RV is not in business. The Sandstorm is for other vendors in the socal market.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:33 AM   #12

During walk thru found bathroom fan not working and shower knob missing the hot plastic cover. Both fixed right away. Max Air vents are a must in my opinion. Camping world has them on sale right now. I do agree with you about no front stabs, thats my next buy for it and x chocks. I also wanna get the Atwood deluxe elect jack. What mods have you guys done it your TH. Still havent taken out my quads, wife scared to scatch up the floor on the TH.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:32 PM   #13
Crookedread

I could have bought a Stealth in Oregon but everybody wanted another $5,500 so thats why I bought from Giant RV. Since I am living in it four days a week, I added a queen mattress. The condensation this winter was really bad until I installed the Maxxair vents. I use a small electric heater and use the gas system as a backup. I have the stabilizer jacks and will install them when it quits raining,,,,,assuming of course that it ever quits raining!! I use the X chocks and like them. The next thing I have planned is to scratch the floor. A big deep long ugly scratch, accidentally of course! Like your wife, mine is concerned loading the quads and I figure once we get past that first scratch, we'll be OK!!!???

I did put together a simple weight chart that was kind of enlightening. I found that if I haul four people in the truck I have to move some weight to the trailer or I am overweight on the truck. However, if I have both quads in the trailer, I have to move some weight to the truck to keep from overloading the trailer and I guess the extra people have to find another ride. I am towing with a 2010 Tundra Maxxcab and my quads are Honda Rincons which run about 630 to 650 pounds each. I'm sure that the side to side weight on the trailer will be important also. It's do-able but just takes a little planning to avoid problems.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:00 PM   #14

Wow that much more. .. Ouch. I know you can buy them in other places but in socal only Giant has them. Nobody told me there would be math involved when taking out my quads... Lol. Wat kind of front stabs you buy. Scissor or the cross stab. I changed out my comp locks to combi locks, cause I hate having ten different keys for the TH. Trying to get down to a few keys only. Does your TH have different keys for the main door and the cargo doors.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:20 PM   #15
Crookedread

I bought the scissors and I have a key for each door. I display them all in one bowl by the stove top as a kind of display. I like to think of it as art!. LOL
Old 12-14-2013, 11:37 PM   #16

Becareful with the X wheel chaulks they'll damage the axels..
Flojos89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #17

Curious, how would they damage the an axel? Those things have to flex a little when you turn the rig. Just look in your mirror the next time you give it a good hard turn on pavement. You hear that popping sound and looking at the wheels and they don't line up anymore. One may even look like it's about to pop off, but that's the way they are built. I don't think you can put that much force on it with a xchock wrench.
wneise is offline   Reply With Quote