Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2015, 12:32 AM   #1

FSL0119 Tires rubbing

Wondering if this is a common thing,.... maybe my springs are sagging, or ???
I noticed recently that my tires are rubbing on the wheel well openings. Left side more than the right, but they are both rubbing.

205-70-15 tires which are what the trailer data sticker calls for, and we only carry about 1200lbs of cargo.

Anyone else have or heard of this being and issue ? I'm clearly going to have to buy new, or stronger springs.
Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:12 AM   #2
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori View Post
I noticed recently that my tires are rubbing on the wheel well openings. Left side more than the right, but they are both rubbing.
"both rubbing" = all four tires?

Suspension is tight? No loose bolts, connections etc?

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Wondering if this is a common thing,.... maybe my springs are sagging, or ???

205-70-15 tires which are what the trailer data sticker calls for, and we only carry about 1200lbs of cargo.

Anyone else have or heard of this being and issue ? I'm clearly going to have to buy new, or stronger springs.
Pretty common issue. FR and lippert states that you should have 3" clearance, if not change them out. I would take pictures and measurements and send them to all, Your Dealer, FR. and lippert, and see what they can do. What is your dry weight on the sticker and what is the size of the axle they put on. There is a tag on the axle, such as 4000, 4500, 5000 and so on. Wouldn't be the first time they put the wrong axle on a trailer.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:33 AM   #4

Yes, all four.

Thanks for the info, that is what I was hoping to hear. Now I wonder if either FR or Lipert would do anything on a 5 year old rig. I'll check out the axle tag and see what they say. I believe there is less than 1.5" of clearance on all 4. I'll level it up tomorrow and re measure.

Anyone have those phone numbers at your fingertips?
Old 09-14-2015, 06:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Yes, all four.

Thanks for the info, that is what I was hoping to hear. Now I wonder if either FR or Lipert would do anything on a 5 year old rig. I'll check out the axle tag and see what they say. I believe there is less than 1.5" of clearance on all 4. I'll level it up tomorrow and re measure.

Anyone have those phone numbers at your fingertips?
you can find them under lib. at the top or I'll try and attach them and call your div. Warranty Admin.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ContactInformation (1) (3) (1) (1).pdf (46.2 KB, 90 views)

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:53 AM   #6

Tires Rubbing

I am not sure if this applies to a trailer, but I have a 24R motorhome, and I noticed that the Sprinter chassis had a substantial amount of bounce and corner sway. Upon looking at the rear springs, I noticed that they were actually arced downwards. I have used Timbren extended axle bumpers on several trucks, so I investigated them for the 24R RV, and bought a pair and installed them. It lifted the chassis a couple of inches, and unified the axle with the upper chassis, and virtually eliminated the bounce and cornering instability. The difference is pretty well profound, and I think that they should be installed as standard equipment on all RV's. I could sure see spring sag causing the problem that you described.
Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 12:09 PM   #7

Had the same issue with my 2013 V-Lite. I had the Dexter Torflex axles however - torsion system rather than leaf springs. I was the second owner and didn't notice the damage until after I had taken delivery.. Check and make sure that there was not a recall for these axles. It appears to be a fairly common problem. I do know that my unit was one of six serial numbers that were not covered in the recalls affecting the date of manufacture of my unit. The wear on my TT was so bad that the tires wore through the plastic protector and into the plywood of the sub floor. The dealer was great at working with me and for me. FR ended up sending the dealer a lift kit which was installed at their cost and gave me the correct amount of travel. Dealer repaired the damage to my satisfaction. Have not had any other issues since.
Middleburg Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:35 PM   #8

Any idea of a source (aftermarket) of the kit?
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
you can find them under lib. at the top or I'll try and attach them and call your div. Warranty Admin.

Thanks for that attachment. Lots of good info there. I don't know if i called the right place, but i called the first place that showed "Stealth" a 909# and left a message for "Robbie" Appears he's a service manager at a dealer in Rialto, so i'm not sure he's who i need to talk to or not, but maybe he will get back to me with at least some advise.

Is there a different number i should be calling ?

Anyway, the axle tag shows these are 3500# axles. Seems a tad light for a rig that starts out at 6111# dry. Hopefully the powers that be will recognize they installed the wrong axles and take care of it.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
Any idea of a source (aftermarket) of the kit?
The kit that was installed on my unit came directly from the axle manufacturer. Dexter in my case.
Middleburg Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for that attachment. Lots of good info there. I don't know if i called the right place, but i called the first place that showed "Stealth" a 909# and left a message for "Robbie" Appears he's a service manager at a dealer in Rialto, so i'm not sure he's who i need to talk to or not, but maybe he will get back to me with at least some advise.

Is there a different number i should be calling ?

Anyway, the axle tag shows these are 3500# axles. Seems a tad light for a rig that starts out at 6111# dry. Hopefully the powers that be will recognize they installed the wrong axles and take care of it.
I don't understand FR and their axle rating thoughts. We have a 2608ws that has a listed dry weight of 5680# and a max weight of 6670 and the trailer has 2-3000# axles. They list 580# tongue and 920# cargo. Doesn't matter what you do when you load it it's impossible to stay under the 6000# limit of the axles. We add weight to the trailer axles as soon as we set the weight bars up. Go figure. Im installing 3500# axles just for my own safety and peice of mind.
Dabmeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:21 PM   #12

Couldn't agree more. I've got a couple of 3500# axles i'd like to trade out for 5,000#

The guy from the Rialto dealer called me back tonite. He tells me my model came with 3500# axles. Blabbers on about how thats how they built them for years and years up until recently. (which only tells me it took them way to long to pull their heads from their asses and realize how underbuilt they make them..... but i digress....) And he then asks how big the overload block is on top of the axle. "mine doesn't have any block" is say......."there is no room for it" There is only 1.5" between the axle tube and the I beam frame. You can see where it's been contacting the frame in fact. He then changes his story and says "well not all got that....."
Anyway, he was nice enough to talk to, but basically i'm screwed with replacing at the very least my springs, but really should be slipping new axles underneath.

Doing some math,..... 5455 unloaded, + 1,000 for two motorcycles, + propane, water, generator, fuel in the fuel station.. gear, clothes, dishes, and crap i bet i'm at 8k. And that's IF i don't have the 100 gal. water tank that the paperwork says i have- which contradicts the data sticker that indicates weight of only 50 gal.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. I've got a couple of 3500# axles i'd like to trade out for 5,000#

The guy from the Rialto dealer called me back tonite. He tells me my model came with 3500# axles. Blabbers on about how thats how they built them for years and years up until recently. (which only tells me it took them way to long to pull their heads from their asses and realize how underbuilt they make them..... but i digress....) And he then asks how big the overload block is on top of the axle. "mine doesn't have any block" is say......."there is no room for it" There is only 1.5" between the axle tube and the I beam frame. You can see where it's been contacting the frame in fact. He then changes his story and says "well not all got that....."
Anyway, he was nice enough to talk to, but basically i'm screwed with replacing at the very least my springs, but really should be slipping new axles underneath.

Doing some math,..... 5455 unloaded, + 1,000 for two motorcycles, + propane, water, generator, fuel in the fuel station.. gear, clothes, dishes, and crap i bet i'm at 8k. And that's IF i don't have the 100 gal. water tank that the paperwork says i have- which contradicts the data sticker that indicates weight of only 50 gal.
Somehow I missed that part about what TRAILER do you have?

We have a non FR toy hauler rated at 5300 dry and 7350 Max with 2 3500 lb axles. Except when the drum broke at the spindle, rubbing is the only problem I have not had.

Looking at a FR product so I have been here to learn.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:45 AM   #14

I thought that was clear in my first post... FSL0119 but the guy at the RV place on the phone says SS22-16
<------- Either way, see my avitar

Either way, rubbing thru the fender well, and fender trim is not on my wish list.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:04 AM   #15
Just a member

Quote:
Either way, rubbing thru the fender well, and fender trim is not on my wish list.
Tori, for the record, how about some pictures? Especially if this issue is as common as has been premised.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:20 AM   #16

Will get some pics in the AM
Old 09-15-2015, 11:13 AM   #17

For your viewing pleasure. The last one i've included to show how the tires stick out from the body. Almost as if the axles were too wide for the body.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2(1).JPG
Views:	117
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	88750   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	88751   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	88752   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	88753   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1(1).JPG
Views:	137
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	88754  

Old 09-15-2015, 11:44 AM   #18

Oh wow that is crazy. And both sides doing this, correct? I gotta say this is the first I've personally seen of this issue.
2014 Brute Force 300 (daughters)
2016 Days Camped: 22
Check Us Out On YOUTUBE!!
PolarisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:49 AM   #19
Mod free 5er

Easiest thing to do would be to mount the springs on top of the axles by just adding spring perches to the top of the axles.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:09 PM   #20

Yes, both sides doing this but left side is worse.

I do not want to do an axle flip as i do not want the 4-5" of lift it will give. That will be too much.

Tags
tire, tires