Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2015, 12:50 AM   #1

Hot water heater

Just bought a 2015 wa2715 and show up to camp turn on propane purge lines turn in hot water heater switch go to take shower next morning and water is just kinda warm then every ce in awhile it shoots cold sater out. I have just the hot water knob turned on also. How do I crank up the temp in this thing?
Thumper400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:06 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper400 View Post
Just bought a 2015 wa2715 and show up to camp turn on propane purge lines turn in hot water heater switch go to take shower next morning and water is just kinda warm then every ce in awhile it shoots cold sater out. I have just the hot water knob turned on also. How do I crank up the temp in this thing?
Most likely your bypass valves are incorrect (very common). Do you know if they are behind the water heater (as many RV's are)? You will need to gain access to the backside of the water heater thru a cabinet, fake panel, etc. Each RV is different as to how to gain access in this aspect.

Once you do get to the backside of the water heater, then you may see either one, two, or three valves total on the water lines. The three valve system seems to be the most common.

If so, then the cold water inlet valve needs to be open, the hot water outlet valve needs to be open...and most importantly, the bypass valve, which ties the cold water line into the hot water line for winterization/antifreeze purposes needs to be CLOSED.

The valves are open when the handle is parallel with the water line it is on, and closed when the handle is perpendicular to the water line it is on. It's easy to confuse the bypass lines handle direction since the line itself runs vertically usually...but you need to make sure the handle is perpendicular to that particular line.

If the bypass valve is open, then cold water is coming in to your hot water line.

Here is how you want it:

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:09 AM   #3

Only have hot water

Thanks for your post. Have only gone out one time in our trailer.
Turned on hot water heater to take a shower, waited a couple hours, then got a scalding shower! No cold water at all, everything was hot.
I will check the valves, did not see any but they may be behind the water heater, as you say. Have some more to learn about our first trailer...
Old 04-02-2017, 04:38 AM   #4

WMtire...THANKS

Thank you so much for your post on the by pass valves. Thanks for taking the time and effort to label and post pictures. It's the kind people like you that keep us dummies coming back here for answers.
Texan79423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 05:08 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan79423 View Post
Thank you so much for your post on the by pass valves. Thanks for taking the time and effort to label and post pictures. It's the kind people like you that keep us dummies coming back here for answers.
Thank you very much, and glad it helped. I also want to thank you for reminding me of this thread, as I just copied a pic from it over to this thread we keep as a sticky in the plumbing section, since it will be one of the more common ones referred to as spring time is here:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...st-103381.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, hot water, water, water heater