Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2014, 12:16 AM   #21

I don't know if you should consider yourself lucky or if I should consider myself unlucky...I've got a laundry list of, small problems, but nonetheless they are problems I need to take it back for. It would be the perfect hauler if these little things would stop happening. What year is your truck? My truck does a fantastic job as well, just pulled it home this weekend up numerous 6% grades and I would do about the same in 90*F weather. My only concern which has happened a couple times, is transmission temperature occasionally getting upwards of 200*F. This has only happened on steep grades in traffic where air flow was minimal to say the least. Do you have any trans temp indicator? And if so how high has yours reached towing? What do you load in yours? I've never pulled anything this long or heavy and I don't know if it's my anxiety from seeing 2 bumper pull trailers almost lose it from the sway on the freeway, or if the length just tends to come with sway. I'm using the equal-i-zer 4 way sway WD hitch. Sorry so many questions hahaha
ryanq55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:08 PM   #22

I guess I'm lucky then. Everything has worked so far. My truck is a 2012. I do have a transmission indicator but I haven't really watched it so far. I do know that the engine temp hasn't gotten above 204-206 when going up a really steep and long mountain climb. I don't carry anything really heavy in it, just a couple of big Harley's, no four wheel vehicles at all. My gross weight on the trailer is probably some where around 9000-9500 lbs. I don't really have any problem with sway, even when the big trucks go by me. I used to have that problem when I had a smaller truck but since buying the dually it's been really stable. I only drive about 60-65 mph though. I haven't really run into any bad cross winds yet so I don't know about that. The thing I like about my truck is the engine for going uphill and the exhaust brake for going downhill. I hardly ever have to use my regular brakes. While going downhill I just set the cruise control for what I think is a safe speed and between the tow mode on the transmission and the exhaust brake I stay right at the speed I want without using much brakes at all. That makes me feel a lot safer. So if I net it out the three things that make me feel the safest and most stable are the exhaust brake, the tow mode, and the fact that it's a dually.
sbradford61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:44 PM   #23

What type of truck do you have?
Old 10-07-2014, 09:09 PM   #24

Truck

It's a 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 dually with the Cummins turbo diesel. Thing pulls like a tank. It doesn't even know that trailer is back there. The truck will probably outlive me. These cummins motors are good for at least 500,000 miles.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:16 PM   #25

I've got a 4 seat side by side I pull into mine that's roughly 13' and 1700 lbs or so. I think loaded up with gas and water and everything I'm pretty close to the 12k gross this thing is rated for. I usually pull it in backwards to center the weight of the motor over the axles but may try pulling it in forward to see if there's a major difference in sway. I'm thinking about ditching my 35's and going back to stock wheels and tires too...

I'm thinking sway may come from just bad, uneven road conditions, I never get any bad sway passing the 18 wheelers.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:37 PM   #26

Weight

I think I got the weight wrong. The trailer is about 8600 lbs and the two Harley's are a little over 900 lbs a piece. So I guess I'm rolling around 10,400 lbs plus food and whatever else.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:12 AM   #27

I was going to say that's pretty light haha. I think dry is 8200 right? I've got the extra 60gal fresh water tank which makes it 160gal total...so water alone adds almost 1400lbs. Google says a gal of water weights almost 8.5lbs 36gal fuel station at about 6lbs a gal is roughly another 220lbs and those Harley's can't be light either...my dad has a little night train and that thing is ridiculously heavy. I didn't realize until after I purchased it how fast these weights add up...
Old 03-16-2015, 06:49 PM   #28

I have a 2916 and put a xp4 1000 in it and had a lot of sway as well. I bought the reese cam system and it seems to have decreased this dramatically. I did not even think about putting the xp4 in backwards...I will try that next time as well.
richard1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:15 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1220 View Post
I have a 2916 and put a xp4 1000 in it and had a lot of sway as well. I bought the reese cam system and it seems to have decreased this dramatically. I did not even think about putting the xp4 in backwards...I will try that next time as well.
Hey Richard, what do you tow with? I actually just received my new hitch head from Equal-I-Zer. I'm using the 14k series, and the top portion of the head-to-bracket piece that bolts to the shank started little hairline cracks where the welds are. They suggested I had too much tongue weight. The dealer set mine up so I'll have to load up full and take her to the scales and see what she reads. I've always loaded my Wildcat 4 seater in backwards...im going out to Dumont this weekend so I'm going to try loading it forward and see how it differs, I just always felt safer with the motor and rear wheels pretty much centered over the tandem axles...we shall see!
Old 03-17-2015, 09:54 AM   #30

I tow with a 2014 f250 diesel.
Here is my set up-

RP66130
rate it

Strait-Line Weight Distribution w Sway Control - Trunnion Bar - 15,000 lbs GTW, 1,500 lbs TW
RP54976
rate it

Reese Titan Weight Dist Shank - 1-1/4" Drop, 5-1/4" Rise - 1,700 lbs TW
C40085
rate it

2-5/16" Hitch Ball - 1-1/4" Diameter x 2-5/8" Long Shank - Raw Finish - 30,000 lbs
TR63252
rate it

Tow Ready Trailer Hitch Receiver Lock for 2-1/2" Hitches - Flush - 3-1/2" Span

Loading it backwards makes sense and theoretically should decrease the sway (due to the weight is in front of the axles).
Old 03-17-2015, 09:55 AM   #31

BTW all this you can get from etrailer.com= great place and knowledgable staff. I paid like 800 for this set up=well worth it.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:17 PM   #32

We have a 2000 f250 v-10, 85,000 miles. We did put 456gears and airbags on it. It pulls 60-70. Mph no problems. We have the equalizer hitch. No sway. We haul 1 or 2 four wheelers. Love our trailer. We are in Montans so we end up pretty high in the mountains. We only use this truck for towing so I can't justify a brand new truck for towing and I like my Raptor for my driver and my husband likes his AEV Jeep.
Cifyacan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:46 PM   #33

Started pulling my 4 seater in forwards and reduced alot of sway. I guess maybe I was overloading the front? Next trip out im going to load her up and swing by the dealer before we head out to have them scale the tongue and see what im running at full. I made some changes to my truck as well so i'll have to read my Equal-i-Zer manual to properly adjust how its set-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cifyacan View Post
We have a 2000 f250 v-10, 85,000 miles. We did put 456gears and airbags on it. It pulls 60-70. Mph no problems. We have the equalizer hitch. No sway. We haul 1 or 2 four wheelers. Love our trailer. We are in Montans so we end up pretty high in the mountains. We only use this truck for towing so I can't justify a brand new truck for towing and I like my Raptor for my driver and my husband likes his AEV Jeep.
My wife and I use our truck only for towing as well and cant justify making payments on a truck that'll sit 10 or so months out of the year...how does the v-10 do on gas while towing yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1220 View Post
Any verdict on pulling your xp4 in backwards???
Old 06-30-2015, 07:30 AM   #34

The gas mileage isn't great but going camping we are going from 3000 feet elevation to 7500 feet and climbing the whole way there. We camp at the base of the Beartooth pass a lot which is 80 miles from home, about 1 1/2 hours or so. It will use a little more than a 1/2 tank and then 1/4 or less coming home. We usually fill up on the way home since we try to dump before coming back if it's not busy.
Cifyacan is offline   Reply With Quote