Old 05-09-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
JLR

Not so good 1st outing.....

So just picked up my new 2012 Stealth FS2612 on Friday...purchased 4/30 but had to wait a week for the dealer to do "cleaning and prepping". While doing the PDI, I noticed that the following:
1. Fabric loose on armrest of chair, sewing had been pulled out.

2. When flushing toilet, water splashes out the front and ends up on the floor.

3. Additional TV mount that was installed in the front bedroom was installed too close to the ceiling and there's no way even a 19" TV would fit.

4. Coax faceplate was pulled out of the wall and coax was loose going into it. This was noted at purchase time and was supposed to be fixed.

5. Guy doing the PDI was incredibly ignorant about the features of the vehicle and couldn't tell me anything about the stereo, micro/convection, or really anything else for that matter. In fact, I had to show him how to hook up to the truck since he couldn't figure out the hitch.

6. Trailer had not been cleaned and all protective covers were still on everything along with the everything in the microwave being in it's protective factory packaging still.

So since I had planned a trip and already made reservations, I had the dealer make a list of the issues that were noticed and off we went on the recommendation of the dealer. This being my first new trailer, I didn't really know what to expect, but I have to say I was very disappointed in the fact that it didn't appear that they had even gone through the thing. Anyway, about an hour into the trip while going down the freeway I catch something out of the corner of my eye and the escape window is open and flopping around in the breeze! So I pull over and close it thinking it was a fluke thing, but nope....it did it again on the way home from the trip! Saturday morning I get up and go to heat up some water for my coffee in the microwave only to find out it:
1. All the parts are still in the packaging and
2. It turns on and makes noise....but doesn't heat anything

Call the sales dept and ask if maybe there's something I'm missing and get the standard response that I'll have to call the service dept on Monday. Finally, the last thing that happened on the way home, besides the emergency window flying open again, was the door that covers the outside shower broke as well while going down the freeway and was flopping around in the breeze.

Called the dealer this morning and now I have to take time off work to drive the 2.5hrs to the service dept to drop it off next Tuesday before 5pm so they can try to fix everything. Then I'll have to go pick it back up whenever they're done. Can't say I'm overly pleased with this purchase at the moment.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #2

Oh my!
I would be bent!
Sound like the dealer did a really poor job of going over the unit before delivery.

I'd give them fits when I got there.
That is no way to run a business.

Bill

Air Lift 5000
Prodigy Brake Controller

"I've got a mind like a steele.. a......a steele......um.....uh...... what's that thing called again?
fivecodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:19 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your experience with a new trailer. Sounds like a combination of things are happening here, including some factory QC issues and a poor dealer.

Keep in mind that some warranty items are to be expected with any new trailer. But, your dealer sure seems to have fallen down. That's one thing you'll want to stay on top of... Checking their work quality, making sure all the systems are "a go" before you leave the next time you pick it up.

Good luck with everything as it gets sorted out.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
JLR

I can understand having some small issues but these things I think are a little above normal things. If I wanted this many problems I would have bought a used rig rather than a brand new $30k 2012 model. I'm at the point now after talking with the service dept and the sales dept that they should just deliver me a new one and take this one back with them.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #5

Try contacting FR, let them know what's going on and see if they can recommend a repair shop closer to you. Hopefully one that does a better job taking care of your problems.

Good luck.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #6
JLR

Problem is that the dealer I bought from IS the closest FR dealer I figure I should at least give them the chance to fix this stuff once. Am I being a pushover or what? What would you experienced RV'rs do in my situation? I'm thinking for the hassle they should at least do something to compensate me for my time/fuel running back and forth somehow.
KTM 450
Polaris 800 EFI
JLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #7

Triguy,

I don't know why you would say that some warranty items are to be expected with any new trailer. I have purchased two new trailers and didn't have a warranty issue with either one. If you are expecting problems with a new trailer then you are expecting too little IMO.

To the OP you should contact forest river immediately if you do not get satisfaction from your dealer. I doubt you will be compensated from the dealer or FR though for your troubles. I don't know what I would do in your situation.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Trailers are not really built to anywhere near the standards of, say, a boat or car. Its one of the reasons why a shakedown cruise is good to do. so you can take it to your dealer. Take RVW, for instance. When I looked to buy from them, they encouraged me to spend the night after pickup at one of their close campgrounds so that I could have fixed the next day anything that needed to be fixed.

Its really pretty common.

Not setting low expectations, but setting realistic expectations.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:36 PM   #9
JLR

OK, so as of my conversations with the dealer this morning, they are going to attempt to fix the problems, but I still have to take it over the mountains to their service dept. I am sort of torn at this point since I really want to be p!$$ed off and request a new trailer...without the problems, but at the same time feel it best to let them fix it and have some sort of a decent relationship with them as they've said they'll do what it takes to make things right.
KTM 450
Polaris 800 EFI
JLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:51 PM   #10

I hope they follow through for you. FR will sometimes let an independent repair shop work on their tt's. I believe you may have to pay for the repairs upfront and FR will then reimburse you. It would be worth it if it's the only way to get quality repairs.

lbrjet and Triguy, I understand both of your positions. I've come to look at this way, anything short of a trouble free RV is not acceptable, but I do realistcally expect one with minor problems. Major problems are not expected nor accepted. JMHO

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote