Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
JLR

Not so good 1st outing.....

So just picked up my new 2012 Stealth FS2612 on Friday...purchased 4/30 but had to wait a week for the dealer to do "cleaning and prepping". While doing the PDI, I noticed that the following:
1. Fabric loose on armrest of chair, sewing had been pulled out.

2. When flushing toilet, water splashes out the front and ends up on the floor.

3. Additional TV mount that was installed in the front bedroom was installed too close to the ceiling and there's no way even a 19" TV would fit.

4. Coax faceplate was pulled out of the wall and coax was loose going into it. This was noted at purchase time and was supposed to be fixed.

5. Guy doing the PDI was incredibly ignorant about the features of the vehicle and couldn't tell me anything about the stereo, micro/convection, or really anything else for that matter. In fact, I had to show him how to hook up to the truck since he couldn't figure out the hitch.

6. Trailer had not been cleaned and all protective covers were still on everything along with the everything in the microwave being in it's protective factory packaging still.

So since I had planned a trip and already made reservations, I had the dealer make a list of the issues that were noticed and off we went on the recommendation of the dealer. This being my first new trailer, I didn't really know what to expect, but I have to say I was very disappointed in the fact that it didn't appear that they had even gone through the thing. Anyway, about an hour into the trip while going down the freeway I catch something out of the corner of my eye and the escape window is open and flopping around in the breeze! So I pull over and close it thinking it was a fluke thing, but nope....it did it again on the way home from the trip! Saturday morning I get up and go to heat up some water for my coffee in the microwave only to find out it:
1. All the parts are still in the packaging and
2. It turns on and makes noise....but doesn't heat anything

Call the sales dept and ask if maybe there's something I'm missing and get the standard response that I'll have to call the service dept on Monday. Finally, the last thing that happened on the way home, besides the emergency window flying open again, was the door that covers the outside shower broke as well while going down the freeway and was flopping around in the breeze.

Called the dealer this morning and now I have to take time off work to drive the 2.5hrs to the service dept to drop it off next Tuesday before 5pm so they can try to fix everything. Then I'll have to go pick it back up whenever they're done. Can't say I'm overly pleased with this purchase at the moment.
JLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:16 PM   #2

Oh my!
I would be bent!
Sound like the dealer did a really poor job of going over the unit before delivery.

I'd give them fits when I got there.
That is no way to run a business.

Bill

"I've got a mind like a steele.. a......a steele......um.....uh...... what's that thing called again?
fivecodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your experience with a new trailer. Sounds like a combination of things are happening here, including some factory QC issues and a poor dealer.

Keep in mind that some warranty items are to be expected with any new trailer. But, your dealer sure seems to have fallen down. That's one thing you'll want to stay on top of... Checking their work quality, making sure all the systems are "a go" before you leave the next time you pick it up.

Good luck with everything as it gets sorted out.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
JLR

I can understand having some small issues but these things I think are a little above normal things. If I wanted this many problems I would have bought a used rig rather than a brand new $30k 2012 model. I'm at the point now after talking with the service dept and the sales dept that they should just deliver me a new one and take this one back with them.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #5

Try contacting FR, let them know what's going on and see if they can recommend a repair shop closer to you. Hopefully one that does a better job taking care of your problems.

Good luck.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
JLR

Problem is that the dealer I bought from IS the closest FR dealer I figure I should at least give them the chance to fix this stuff once. Am I being a pushover or what? What would you experienced RV'rs do in my situation? I'm thinking for the hassle they should at least do something to compensate me for my time/fuel running back and forth somehow.
KTM 450
Polaris 800 EFI
Old 05-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #7

Triguy,

I don't know why you would say that some warranty items are to be expected with any new trailer. I have purchased two new trailers and didn't have a warranty issue with either one. If you are expecting problems with a new trailer then you are expecting too little IMO.

To the OP you should contact forest river immediately if you do not get satisfaction from your dealer. I doubt you will be compensated from the dealer or FR though for your troubles. I don't know what I would do in your situation.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Trailers are not really built to anywhere near the standards of, say, a boat or car. Its one of the reasons why a shakedown cruise is good to do. so you can take it to your dealer. Take RVW, for instance. When I looked to buy from them, they encouraged me to spend the night after pickup at one of their close campgrounds so that I could have fixed the next day anything that needed to be fixed.

Its really pretty common.

Not setting low expectations, but setting realistic expectations.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:36 PM   #9
JLR

OK, so as of my conversations with the dealer this morning, they are going to attempt to fix the problems, but I still have to take it over the mountains to their service dept. I am sort of torn at this point since I really want to be p!$$ed off and request a new trailer...without the problems, but at the same time feel it best to let them fix it and have some sort of a decent relationship with them as they've said they'll do what it takes to make things right.
KTM 450
Polaris 800 EFI
Old 05-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #10

I hope they follow through for you. FR will sometimes let an independent repair shop work on their tt's. I believe you may have to pay for the repairs upfront and FR will then reimburse you. It would be worth it if it's the only way to get quality repairs.

lbrjet and Triguy, I understand both of your positions. I've come to look at this way, anything short of a trouble free RV is not acceptable, but I do realistcally expect one with minor problems. Major problems are not expected nor accepted. JMHO
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Trailers are not really built to anywhere near the standards of, say, a boat or car. Its one of the reasons why a shakedown cruise is good to do. so you can take it to your dealer. Take RVW, for instance. When I looked to buy from them, they encouraged me to spend the night after pickup at one of their close campgrounds so that I could have fixed the next day anything that needed to be fixed.

Its really pretty common.

Not setting low expectations, but setting realistic expectations.
Have only had two trailers so I will consider myself lucky I haven't had any problems.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:06 PM   #12

Luckily, I have had no problems with the only new trailer I have ever bought- none. I will say my dealer did a thorough test that takes several hours and went over everything very well, including doing another water pressure and LP pressure test with us standing there. My dealer is about 80 miles from me and I am glad I have never had to take it back.
As for getting them to take it back and give you another one, thats not going to happen no matter how much you yell at them or anything, unless you write them a check for a few thousand more and trade your used trailer in on another new one. I would expect them to be extremely courteous and thorough on the repairs though, especially since a lot of it is their fault for not prepping before you picked up. Cash or fuel is probably out of the question, but with having to drive that far, some free accessories or something from their parts department would be appropriate.
edman87k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:35 PM   #13

Whenever your ready to buy an RV and problems exist, make sure they write that on the contract. Most dealers call it We Owe or a Due Bill. If it's on the contract, they need to fix it. If they won't, contact your State Attorney General. It's much easier than you think. You will get action.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:57 PM   #14

i would recommend making a list of problems and copy it...especially that many.
i purchased a vw truck once and each time i took it in with a list of problems, they would fix one. if there are many, u could loose track.

it doesn't sound like they did any prep on it.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:08 PM   #15
Site Team

I had a few minor issues with my TT that showed up after the pdi while out camping. Like with all the cars I have brought new most usually had some issues that needed attention and my TT was no different.

My concern is that most of the stuff you listed should had been caught and fixed by the service department prior to your scheduled pdi. This has to be very upsetting to encounter several issues especially so soon out.

I agree that it's unlikely that they will exchange the trailer unless you enter into another contact. I'm could be wrong but I just don't see it happening.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #16
JLR

I too highly doubt that they would exchange, and that thought was more out of irritation than anything. For sure though, I'll be requesting some freebies when I drop it off. I'm thinking another tv and/or a fan installed over the cooking area would be a nice gesture.
KTM 450
Polaris 800 EFI
Old 05-13-2011, 05:24 PM   #17

I feel your pain. I too bought my FS2612 from a dealer out of town (6 hrs away) because the local dealer went out of business. I wasn't able to do a PDI because of how far away they were and that's all my fault. Every time I go out I come back with a new problem.

This is my first new trailer and now I understand what people mean about really going through these things. The quality in workmen is lacking in these trailers when you really get into them..., as I have trying fix all my problems. Lucky for me I do have a FR dealer close by that works on my trailer, they know me by name and have my phone number memorized.... That's probably not a good thing.

Anyway, check the valves to your water heater. It's located under that storage thing on the left side of the front bed. Make sure they are turned the way they are suppose to be because it is set up as a bypass. If your emergency window is lose get that fixed because when it rains you will have water coming in, trust me I've been there. When it's cold, the heater in this thing sucks because it's not
ducted. Something I completely missed. That front bed area is cold. Someone suggested installing insulation under it and that's probably a good idea.

Attached is the leaking emergency window and my mystery leak which that is under the shower area along the wall you can see where the water was

So if anyone has a # or email to FR I'd love to share with them my experiences with my FS2612.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1728937197.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	5781   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2745270657.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	5782  
msteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:34 AM   #18

If you had to buy the PDI from this dealer, demand your money back, as you did it, not them!
granite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:15 PM   #19

I bought a brand new FSC2812 a couple of weeks ago and had it delivered to me in Portland (dealer was in No.Cal.) On the 2nd day of ownership we had heavy rains and there was water inside the RV. My stomach sank. We emailed Forest River customer service that Sunday evening and at 7am Monday morning Forest River called me to discuss the leak and by 10am they had a driver meet me to pick it up and haul it back to the manufacturing facility in Rialto, CA. Fortunately I had spent an entire day going through the RV, figuring things out, looking, and learning, and I already had a laundry list of items needing attention. I attached the list to the RV when it shipped back to Forest River, and I emailed a copy of it to the Service Mgr in Rialto. When I got the RV back (last week) they had taken care of virtually every item. The few things they missed they are still working on taking care of. Yes, it's a bit frustrating that they didn't just get it right the first time. Or the 2nd. But in the end Forest River seems to be trying to get it right. Purchasing a new RV is more like purchasing a new home, not a car. I don't think the manufacturing of RV's is as controlled as an automotive assembly line.

Do I think all of these issues could have been avoided? Yes, but as msteeler said, problems will be encountered and I think it's to be expected. I also think you should contact Jim Treadwell at Forest River in Rialto which I believe is where the FS2612 is made. His email is jtreadwell@forestriverinc.com. He was very helpful and thanks to him and the rest of the Forest River team I would still recommend their product. Their customer service was great.
mtnmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:49 PM   #20

When we got our 2011 2902SS Rockwood lat spring we had a bunch of stuff wrong with it. Took it back to the dealers and they did nothing and they had it for a week (they did bend the rear jacks). So working with Forest River I have pretty much fixed everything. Most RV sales persons (or any sales person) is your best friend until you close the deal, then you are kinda screwed. Forest River dropped this RV dealership.
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote