Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2018, 04:20 PM   #1

Possible generator issue

So I’m not sure if this is an issue or not. I currently have a Stealth 2916G which came standard with the Onan 4000 genny. This is my 4th Stealth toyhauler (previously had a 2410, and two different versions of the 2612) and on all of my other models I was able to have the air conditioner on and use the microwave at the same time, but with this 2916 (which is now barely a year old) any time I’ve tried to do this the genny seems to be overloaded and dies. While I know this isn’t a major issue, nor does that scenario happen very often, I am a bit concerned that something is wrong in the generator. I change the oil and filter every year, so just barely did that maintenance back in April and I also look up the general elevation of our camp spots before we go so that I can adjust the dial each trip. At this point I’m not sure if it’s a genny issue or if there is simply something different with this trailer that doesn’t allow that combination of use. Any insight or advice is very much appreciated!
tylersheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:33 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersheen View Post
So I’m not sure if this is an issue or not. I currently have a Stealth 2916G which came standard with the Onan 4000 genny. This is my 4th Stealth toyhauler (previously had a 2410, and two different versions of the 2612) and on all of my other models I was able to have the air conditioner on and use the microwave at the same time, but with this 2916 (which is now barely a year old) any time I’ve tried to do this the genny seems to be overloaded and dies. While I know this isn’t a major issue, nor does that scenario happen very often, I am a bit concerned that something is wrong in the generator. I change the oil and filter every year, so just barely did that maintenance back in April and I also look up the general elevation of our camp spots before we go so that I can adjust the dial each trip. At this point I’m not sure if it’s a genny issue or if there is simply something different with this trailer that doesn’t allow that combination of use. Any insight or advice is very much appreciated!
New rig may have 15 instead of 13.5 a/c's which requires more power.

Jack
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:36 AM   #3

I would think a 4000 watt Onan would easily handle an AC and microwave. It may be that you are experiencing a problem with the fuel control on the Onan not allowing the generator to come to full power when the heavy load is put on it. You might consider having a Onan dealer or a generator shop put a load test on it.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:55 AM   #4

Do you have other loads on electric at same time: water heater, refrigerator, converter, TV etc etc.....need to take current readings to know total electrical load when this happens. A 4000 watts will give you 33 amps total at 120 volts.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:01 AM   #5

I had a 2017 Work and Play that would only run the A/C and the microwave at a power setting of 7 not 10. I also had the 4000 Onan.

Jack
Old 07-10-2018, 12:49 PM   #6

Thanks for everyone’s input! Sounds like I need to do a bit more diagnosing or take it in.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:56 PM   #7

I will typically have the fridge, water heater, as well as the pump turned on as we pretty much leave them on durning the day, but turn them off at night (except the fridge) and the microwave in this unit is different that what we have had in the past. It very well could just be a power setting on the microwave. I will check the fuel lines too, because honestly when it does die it sounds like the genny is being starved of fuel.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:13 PM   #8

Quote:
I will typically have the fridge, water heater, as well as the pump turned on as we pretty much leave them on durning the day, but turn them off at night (except the fridge) and the microwave in this unit is different that what we have had in the past. It very well could just be a power setting on the microwave. I will check the fuel lines too, because honestly when it does die it sounds like the genny is being starved of fuel.
Different power settings on microwaves are deceptive. They don't raise or lower the power output of the magnetron, they merely control the amount of time it is on and how long it is off during the cook cycle. A power setting of "1" may only turn the magnetron on for 10% of the cook time and a setting of "10" may leave it on continuously while cooking.

I would be more suspicious of the water heater electric heating element size (could be larger than others you've owned) as well as the Converter and how much energy it's consuming while charging batteries, etc. Converters are getting larger and larger. My first back in the 70's was a whopping 20 amp unit. My latest is a 60 amp unit and it's not event he largest one can find in larger units. A 60 amp converter can draw 1KW at max load. The microwave and AC are both power hogs when they start. Once running they are a little more kind to a generator.

If you want to test your generator before taking it to a dealer, find a bunch of heaters that total up to the rated output of your generator. Space heaters, Waffle Irons, Electric Cooktops, whatever. If the generator can carry the load from the heaters, etc, without sounding like it's stumbling or straining, your problem is just too much power draw at once for the generator to catch up to.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:28 PM   #9

If breaker is not tripping when A/C and 10 setting on Micro it probably is another problem. When we used 15 A/C and a setting of ten on the Micro the breaker would trip. If we powered the Micro back to 7 with the 15 A/C it worked fine.

Jack[/SIZE]
Old 07-10-2018, 09:44 PM   #10

Quote:

it should run the ac and microwave . but not the ac microwave and hot water heater on ele.
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator