Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Given all the system failures, am I being unreasonable to expect a refund?
Yes, you're just whining. 11 44.00%
No, this is obviously a lemon and Forest River should have stepped forward months ago. 12 48.00%
Most stuff is generally fixed; you should be content with the screw job you got. 2 8.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #1

Return Policy?

I bought a new 2012 FS2612 Stealth toy hauler earlier this summer from Great Outdoors in Evans, CO.
The roof air had to be replaced and I am still waiting to get a screen on the large window. The generator wouldn't run the a/c this summer when I needed it most.
Now the unit is in to fix/replace the refrigerator and generator.

Is there a return policy with Forest River?
I will be calling the dealership when I have time.
NewRodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:22 AM   #2
Site Team

GOOD LUCK!

very rare unless the dealer can roll you into another of their RVs.
as long as they are willing to fix things, you don't have much to stand on.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:36 PM   #3

Well figured out that the 'double insulated' floor is covering much of the area the generator needs for expelling the heat. This is why it overheats, regardless of the outside temp.

Also, there are wires melted by the exhaust pipe, shorting out and ruining the batteries.

Additionally, there is a water leak in that vicinity and the brakes stick (probably worn out already and cooking the bearings).

I can't imagine a greater PIECE OF GARBAGE than a Forest River ! ! !

The may very well be a lawyer getting involved very soon.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRodeo View Post
Well figured out that the 'double insulated' floor is covering much of the area the generator needs for expelling the heat. This is why it overheats, regardless of the outside temp.

Also, there are wires melted by the exhaust pipe, shorting out and ruining the batteries.

Additionally, there is a water leak in that vicinity and the brakes stick (probably worn out already and cooking the bearings).

I can't imagine a greater PIECE OF GARBAGE than a Forest River ! ! !

The may very well be a lawyer getting involved very soon.
To Bad about your troubles, I'm sure FR will stand behind you and get these things repaired. If FR is willing to repair your unit, you really would have a hard time suing them in court. The law states that you have to give them time to make repairs, if they refuse then you would have a case. AS far as FR selling junk, after all the post I have read they always have stepped up to the plate. I hope you can get this resolved and back camping again. I know it must be frustrating to you...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #5

Thanks gljurczyk

I've been trying to get the generator issues (along with everything else) resolved since like July 2012. I've lost track of how many times I've had to drag it back to the dealership... FAR too many. Not being able to use it when I have plans is just as infuriating as having to drag it back to the dealer. Definitely NOT a $40,000 rig.

Thus far... FR has stood behind it (not sure that's a safe place as something may fall off the thing). The warranty expires 18JUN2013 and the next appointment is scheduled for 13JUN2013... not much of a comfort level.

FR has not contacted me in any way regarding this. The dealership has been very friendly and "trying". An offer to extend the warranty for another year would go a LONG way to lessening how pissed I am.

BTW: I still don't have the missing window screen that was "on the way" a year ago
Old 05-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #6

NEW RODEO, Did you get offered the 2nd yr warranty when you got your unit for $150.00? IF not I would call FR customer service dept. I would explane your frustrations with your unit and all the problems you have occurred. THey say you have to buy it in 15 day's from the day you purchased it. I would bet that they will sell you one. I was mad on some problems and I got mine 6 mos. later. I told them that I was not offer it by the dealer. I got signed up the same day. At least it's a shot. Buy the way I wouldn't stand behind it either. What unit do you have I couldn't fine it in your profile, I have heard that all units are not able to get the 2nd year. Only FR products, not Companys that they bought out. Hope this helps. Let us know what happens !!!!!!! GOOD LUCK AND SAFE TRAVELS

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
Just Love to Camp

Hey there NewRodeo. I to had many problems with my new 2012 TH. They have worked with me but had to let my voice be known on several occasions. They also extended my warranty a year. You need to find out who is in charge of the stealth warranty at the plant. We found ours out by talking and getting a name from our dealer. I wish you luck and let your voice be heard. Keep knocking the right person can help you will hear you. Just remember try (yeah I know it is hard) not to burn bridges. Good luck

2012 F450
Virginia
TheFordes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #8

Obviously Forest River doesn't care about customer service. There is no way to contact them on their website. The dealership said they asked about an extended warranty on this $30,000 lemon piece of garbage trailer. They said 'piss off'.

Stealership is willing to sell me an aftermarket warranty for "cost" ($800-$1000). Yeah, right.

This current stay in the shop will add 2 more weeks to the running total (well over a month's time now).

The dealer can't inspect the sticking brakes (backwards pad or bad magnet or...) without pulling the outer bearing, which I have to pay for. Wow what a f***ing scam.

The generator compartment is boxed off by the FR idiot installer with the "belly insulation" crap. The Onan Certified tech said this is a problem, but FR may require the rig go to a Onan dealer to have them inspect the install. FML

I can't adequately express here what a piece of garbage Forest River is.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #9

Oh yeah, after a FULL YEAR, they claim to finally have the correct screen for the big window...
Old 06-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #10

Sorry to hear about all your problems with your TH. I picked up a 2013 stealth 2812 and after my first outing with it I had a list of minor repairs, but 1 major repair which I'm still getting fixed which is my linoleum floor is bubbling up towards the rear and seam up near the master bed. My dealership gave me the number of the service manager at the FR plant where they make our TH's. His name is Robbie 1-(909)-873-3777 x52 I've read all the other posts and hope I'm not too late in trying to help out with your issues.
Cacooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #11

WOW. No wonder people go postal.... Good luck Bro. I hope it works out for ya'.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:32 PM   #12
Site Team

While it would be nice if Forest River INC. website did include phone numbers I was able to find a few contact numbers when I did an Internet search.

Also I did find an phone number printed for FR location in my area on the adverts I got from the dealership. My service department manager has also given me an contact person & phone number when I wanted to give feedback.

With that said, I am sorry that you are having trouble getting the matter taken care of. This is just my opinion but I would try avoiding the middleman (your dealer) and contacting FR directly. Based on the no phone numbers comment I take it that you might had already tried to. Cacooze has provided contact information in the above post so hopefully you can make contact with them this time.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRodeo View Post
Thanks gljurczyk

I've been trying to get the generator issues (along with everything else) resolved since like July 2012. I've lost track of how many times I've had to drag it back to the dealership... FAR too many. Not being able to use it when I have plans is just as infuriating as having to drag it back to the dealer. Definitely NOT a $40,000 rig.

Thus far... FR has stood behind it (not sure that's a safe place as something may fall off the thing). The warranty expires 18JUN2013 and the next appointment is scheduled for 13JUN2013... not much of a comfort level.

FR has not contacted me in any way regarding this. The dealership has been very friendly and "trying". An offer to extend the warranty for another year would go a LONG way to lessening how pissed I am.

BTW: I still don't have the missing window screen that was "on the way" a year ago
If your state has a Lemon Law for vehicles, contact them ASAP. There is a time limit in filing a complaint. In Texas it is two years. You will need a well documented history of complaints and repair attempts, etc. I strongly recommend you computerize your RV history and keep all documentation.
l001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:25 PM   #14

I had the same issue with the enclosed underbelly causing vapor lock and my fuel pump to knock trying to pull more gas. I took it to a FS dealer but they couldn't figure it out. Onan has a 2 year warranty so I took the trailer to the local Onan shop a year later. They fixed some stuff under recall and then explained to me how there was no where for the hot air to escape. They ended up constructing a box under the Gen through the enclosed underbelly and that resolved my Gen problem. It was like a blow dryer blowing hot air out that box.... crazy that air had no place to go. I went back to the dealer even though it was out of warranty and had them contact FS to see if they would cover the cost because this was a design issue. FS ended up covering the cost.

I ended up pulling the enclosed underbelly off to find a water leak where my fresh water tanks are. A lot of the connections were lose and you would be surprised (well maybe not) to see your insulated tanks really are not insulated at all. I have the fs2612 too and have had my share of problems, but have been happy with my local FS dealer getting everything resolved. Hope it works out for you
msteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #15

this is funny to me and only because I bought a new shockwave toy hauler last yr, I have been waiting on two things one has been broke since about two weeks after I bought it, that would be the toy lock, the second isnt a broke issue more of a wrong size issue, that would be the proper tv mount that I have been waiting on for a good 8months.......I hope i don't offend any one, it cant be that hard to get a toy lock, and the wrong size tv mount I get told they cant get the right one because they changed model tv's from 2012 to 2013......ramble complete...
08ramguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #16

I'm sticking with the dealer for now. They seem to be honestly trying to get things resolved properly.

Colorado lemon law excludes RVs.

The brake / bearing concern I mentioned earlier turned out to be a serious bearing failure. Grease all over brakes & everything. FR refused to warranty. They said the axle mfgr would have to cover them. Dealer, Great Outdoors RV, said if the mfgr refused, then they would cover it. So that makes a big diff.

In summary:
large window screen took a year to get
roof air failure
serious water tank leak and water damage
refirigerator failure
generator overheating
generator melting/shorting wires
axle bearings
brakes
premature tire failure and body damage
Old 07-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #17

Well, I lost a second tire to material failure. Still waiting to hear from the dealer/tire mfg.
Forest River has washed their hands of it.

Looks like I may have to repair the body damage from the tire myself and buy all new tires.

Anyone recommend a brand?
Old 07-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #18
Always Learning

I went with Maxxis tires after a recent close call with the OEM tires on my camper. (I found a tennis-ball sized bubble on the tire at home.)

Other than them, I'd consider Goodyear Marathons.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #19

Call your insurance company.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
Call your insurance company.
Not following. $600 worth of tires wouldn't hit my deductible

My insurance shouldn't have to pay out for Forest River's gross incompetence and negligence.