Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2011, 04:00 PM   #1

Side panels buckling

Thursday, September 29, 2011

To all Forest River Trailer owners:

I purchased a Forest River Stealth F2612 4/22/2011. This unit has the aluminum side panels. After returning from a week at the river (Sacramento River), I was at the dump station. Standing next to the trailer, I looked up and noticed that the upper panels looked buckled. My first thought was that something bumped me. But upon further inspection
no marks from any impact. I then walk around the trailer noticing other side also had buckled.
After returning home I called my local Forest River dealer. Explained what I had seen. They ask if I would take pictures of the buckling and e mail them.

Long story short. The dealer had experienced another Forest River with the buckling. They explained to me that the heat in Sacramento caused the aluminum to expand. The trailer was still under the factory warranty. So, my local dealer put together a warranty repair order to submit to the manufacture. The manufacture (Forest River) rejected the local dealer for repairs. I was told around $8000.00 labor. The trailer was towed back to the Southern California Forest River facility. Repaired and returned.

Here are my concerns:

My factory warranty runs out 4/22/12 I asked the warrant manager (Forest River) to extend the warranty for the side panels through the next summer. He explained they were a big company and they will take care of me. OK, Put it in writing. This is the place the rubber hits the road. At this point in our conversation, I was getting a little upset. After hearing repeatedly, this is no big deal; we’ll take care of you. But what I got (in writing) was an additional 30 days. Which will end my warranty 5/22/2012. Two months before the summer begins.

If any of you have purchased or know of anyone that has purchase a trailer from Forest River with these kinds of problems, Please contact me:
Bodyman7@gmail.com
bodyman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:25 PM   #2

Not the you want tom have to go there, but I would imagine if you have the same defect within a year if the repair then a simple letter from an attorney would get them to 'take care of you'. I would hope that it doesn't come to that and really hope the repair is good to go without worries. I understand your concern however.

Keep written records of your conversations with dates and times to back up your conversations. That's what I would do. You could also send an email to the person you were talking to at FR and recap your conversation in the email. Be sure to ask a question in the email that requires a response so you at least have a reply from them hopefully acknowledging your conversation and their verbal promises.

Best of luck!
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:27 PM   #3

forest river

Mine is at my local dealer for the same problem. I traded my 2004 FR in on this and the 2004 never had any problem.
First trip out on this and porch light cover flew off. sencond trip out filling station was so stopped up it took 30 min to pump out 5 gallons of gas. also noticed rust in filler neck. Heading home the little plactic bracket that holds the tag on broke and lost tag somewhere in lower Mississippi.
got home family came up and stayed in camper. 95 degrees outside 90 degrees inside camper. took to shop they cleaned fueling station worked on a/c. was told they would fix fueling neck under warranty. A/c works a little better but still not right.
Next trip out had blow out on tire. they sent check to cover cost of tire. Next trip out i looked up and saw siding buckling. last day camping taking a shower and tub cracks.
i have a trip PLANNED for end of October, hopefully I will get to go. They said it is a 35 hour job to fix siding. and BTW now they say the fuel filler neck is not covered under warranty. The rust in neck is normal.
And if i need to take camper on trip they will wait till i get back and do repair on siding in off season. The problem is we camp all near round , so we dont have off season.
Needless to say im not too happ with this forest river camper.
harleywgcple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyman7 View Post
Thursday, September 29, 2011

Long story short. The dealer had experienced another Forest River with the buckling. They explained to me that the heat in Sacramento caused the aluminum to expand. The trailer was still under the factory warranty.

If any of you have purchased or know of anyone that has purchase a trailer from Forest River with these kinds of problems, Please contact me:
Bodyman7@gmail.com
Back in June I purchased an LX3112 from a local dealer here in Arizona. I had the same problem with the buckling of the siding. My dealer replaced the siding on both sides of the trailer under warranty and I got the trailer back in October. Over the new year, I examined the trailer before I put it back and noticed the siding was separating from the front of the cab. It is back at the dealer and the are discussing with FR what to do next. I will definitely ask for a longer warranty and I am about to ask for fiberglass siding instead of the aluminum. We will see.
Webiknight is offline   Reply With Quote