Old 03-26-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
Crookedread

Water Pump Troubles

I have a 2011 Stealth FB2312 and was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with their water pump. I have been using the trailer daily since November but have been using City water. When I tried to use the water pump for the first time last weekend (went to the coast for five days) I could hear it running but it would not pump water. When I pulled the filter off, I found that it was filled with plastic, probably from the water tank when they drilled the holes for the water connections. I thought this was way too easy, and it is turning out that way because after cleaning the plastic from the filter, it still won't pump water. Think I should put a little air pressure to it and see if I can clear the end in the tank?? Anybody have any ideas or suggestions before I blow up the water tank like a balloon? Thanks in advance. This has really been a great site!!

Crookedread

Old 03-26-2011, 06:30 PM   #2

Sorry, but I just have to ask the stupid question...

Did you fill the fresh water tank?

John

Nights Camped: '06=122 '07=12 '08=18 '09=10 '10=18 '11=28 '12=16
kalik282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:43 PM   #3
camping

what pump do you have? the following is from shurflo:
WILL NOT PRIME/SPUTTERS: (No discharge/Motor runs)
Is the strainer clogged with debris?
Is there water in the tank, or has air collected in the hot water heater?
Is the inlet tubing/plumbing sucking in air at plumbing connections (vacuum leak)?
Is inlet/outlet plumbing severely restricted or kinked? Restrictive valves?
Proper voltage with the pump operating (10%).
For debris in pump inlet/outlet valves or swollen/dry valves.
Pump housing for cracks or loose drive assembly screws

PUMP WILL NOT SHUT-OFF / RUNS WHEN FAUCET IS CLOSED:
Output side (pressure) plumbing for leaks, and inspect for leaky valves or toilet.
For air trapped in outlet side (water heater) or pump head.
For correct voltage to pump (10%).
For loose drive assembly or pump head screws.
Are the valves held open by debris or is the rubber swollen?
Pressure switch operation.

Vibration induced by driving can loosen plumbing, strainers and pump hardware to loosen. Check for system components that are loose. Many
symptoms can be resolved by simply tightening the hardware. Check the following items along with other particulars of your system.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:55 PM   #4
Crookedread

kalik282 - Dosen't the water tank come filled from the factory? Where do I purchase water for the tank if it inadvertently wasn't filled? Just kidding!! Now I'm not saying I have never done something that silly, just not this time. I did run quite a bit of water into it and when I looked at the level indicator, it showed that the water level was at least 1/3 full when it had showed empty before. I am positive that it had 30 or 40 gallons in it because when I brought it back from the coast, that is how much I emptied. Thanks anyway.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:06 PM   #5
Crookedread

tentcamper1,

Thanks for the information! I checkled for loose fittings everywhere I could see or reach, it seemed like everything was tight but I will do a better job when I get back to the trailer on Tuesday. I am also concerned if there is a valve that isolates the pump from the City water system that needs to be opened when not using the City water or is supposed to be automatic and is stuck. Frankly, instead of spending three days reducing my trailer practicly to single pieces, I have gotten lazy (and smarter) and now back off and see if I can get ideas from the forum. Thanks for the ideas and I will get back to you when I get a little further along.

Crookedread
Old 03-26-2011, 08:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by crookedread View Post
kalik282 - Dosen't the water tank come filled from the factory? Where do I purchase water for the tank if it inadvertently wasn't filled?
Too funny!

Seriously, you can check operation of the pump by disconnecting the inlet line and connect a temporary hose. Put the temporary hose in a bucket of water and turn on the pump. If it draws water from the bucket, something is wrong in either the inlet line or the tank. Hope this helps.

John
Nights Camped: '06=122 '07=12 '08=18 '09=10 '10=18 '11=28 '12=16
kalik282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:32 PM   #7

When I picked up my camper from dealer I discovered my pump not working. It was running like yours but wouldn't pump. They took off the suction line and turned it on you should feel it pull a suction on you finger. They had to replace pump before I left.