Old 09-15-2015, 11:45 AM   #11

the industry should know better.. they tried this product in the 80s. i believe it was so they could have better cold weather performance for construction ease. anyway, it will ooze till you can throw a dead cat through the gap. they went to foam for the longest time, but it just shrinks and eventually the same cat will fit. clean and caulk. i like lexel from ace. should be warranty/recall issue. seems like they go one generation and then repeat the same mistakes...

edit: this thread belongs ithe tech boards IMO

Old 09-15-2015, 11:56 AM   #12

Thanks, i was wondering what product to use. I'll give the Lexel a try. Glad i revived the old thread. Doesn't look like it ever came to a conclusion.

These kind of issues sure are a disappointment. I know RV's of all types are POS, and require constant repair, but like you said.... the industry should know better.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:57 AM   #13

We are seeing the same issue as well although we have had no leaks. Seems to have occurred during this past summer more than before. We were doing a fair amount of desert camping with temps nearing 100 so I'm pretty sure it is heat related. I have made it a habit, based on recommendations from others, to use a clear silicone sealer each fall around the tops of all the windows, doors hatches etc. This insures a good seal against any degradation in the original sealant due to vibration and the usual wear and tear. Since seeing the ooze mostly coming from the lower section of the windows, I have been trying the following "simple fix" and so far it seems to work. I use the plastic putty knife and push the original sealant back under the window frame. Most of it will mush back up in there. Then I run a bead of the clear sealant around the entire window making sure to fill in any gaps. So far no more ooze and no leaks (we've had a pretty wet summer). The hope is this "simple fix" will hold up. Next summer's outings will tell for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4722.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	263.6 KB
ID:	88749  
Currently enjoying second childhood
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:53 AM   #14

if you do pull the frame, becareful to tighten screws carefully if the frame split is on solid glass. one screw in this area too tight, too soon and it splits the glass.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:57 PM   #15

Well so tired of still scraping the sealant all last year I've finally decided to tackle this problem so I took one window out today to see what I was getting into. Window was stuck in place really well for the amount of sealant that has ran out since 2008, exterior frame has a 3/8" thick foam attached to it with the sealant on top of that. The tape on the bottom of the frame was wedged/squished in between the trailer siding and the frame and the friggin sealant is like it was applied yesterday. It's a messy job but going to put back in with the good old fashioned flat caulk tape the seal the top edge with Lexel. Thanks for everyone's response and input and sorry I didn't post in the tech section.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:41 PM   #16

I like the 100%'butyl tape. double thick if your on corregated metal and not smooth. you will need to trim this right away and again in a few hours and probably again the following day. no additional caulk is needed at that point. though not advised by most, its forever...what you posted is easier and more greatly approved by the masses and yields fine results. the lexel should be good for several years.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:55 PM   #17

Has anyone had trouble removing the valances that hold the blinds? Ours looks like they have to be removed to gain access to the screws around the inside of the frame on our Wildwood.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:36 AM   #18

With my stealth there attached with two screws on each side, top and bottom, look and you will find them, very easy.
Its still not right that the Windows do this from the factory and understand why the dealer wouldn't make the repair, it's very labor intensive and a huge time suck. But one window a day or every other day and it will eventually be done once and for all.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:54 AM   #19

Thanks cafirefhtr. I noticed couple of screws near the legs of the valance, but others bit harder to see. Once I start to remove, I will probably be able to notice attachment points of screws. Butyl caulk is NOT the same as Butyl tape. But with the slap and run'em out the door, quantity vs quality business model, not really a surprise. Just disappointing.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:51 AM   #20

My 2011 Stealth 2216 is oozing too. How did you clean it?