Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 08:02 PM   #1

Stuff Got Stolen Today

Today I went to check on my TT at the storage place to make the battery (replaced the battery on 5/4/2018) is OK since we are going out this Wednesday. To my surprise the battery was gone, I then check the driver side compartment and was open and notice the sway bars and few other items that were inside a bin all gone. It looked like the compartment was pried open. I already upgraded the locks on both compartment once.
I file a report with the storage place and Sheriff. I have not file a report with insurance yet. I was able to purchase important ones so total loss was $400.
So what type of locks do you have on the storage doors?
Old 05-19-2018, 08:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papahoosh View Post
Today I went to check on my TT at the storage place to make the battery (replaced the battery on 5/4/2018) is OK since we are going out this Wednesday. To my surprise the battery was gone, I then check the driver side compartment and was open and notice the sway bars and few other items that were inside a bin all gone. It looked like the compartment was pried open. I already upgraded the locks on both compartment once.
I file a report with the storage place and Sheriff. I have not file a report with insurance yet. I was able to purchase important ones so total loss was $400.
I can't help you with the locks, because we have the standard factory locks on ours. Besides, locks, upgraded or not, only keep the honest folks out. I just want to tell you that I feel your pain. 16 months ago, we had our truck broken into and a whole lot of stuff was stolen. Here's a question, though...why would they steal your sway bars if they didn't have the rest of the hitch? Pretty heavy to carry away, too.

Can't stand a thief!
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 08:19 PM   #3

I hear more and more where people are having their things stolen at storage locations. A friend of ours had his motorhome broken into and he and I spoke to the man who owns several storage places in our area the other day and ask if they had an insurance policy to cover stolen items from space renters, he informed me that they do it cost $5.00 per mouth to storage fee but covers anything that is stolen. I would check with your storage people or at least raise mortal HXXX over the poor security they have. Oh and yes my friend did have the insurance and it covered everything including the repair to his unit locks and doors.
2014 F350 / 2015 CC 36 CKTS
Forbes is offline   Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 08:21 PM   #4

There are no locks that can keep a determined thief out. The storage doors are easily pried open.

Sorry for your loss.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 08:37 PM   #5

I also chain locked the propane tanks. Someone took both tanks from my friend's rv.
The storage place has camers and they told me they will review. It is about 12 days worth.
I will be taking the battery home after we return.
I just don't know what else to do with doors staying secure.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:45 PM   #6

Can’t stop a thief.

Remove items “worth stealing” and leave compartments open so they don’t have to break in.

My truck was robbed a while back....very uneasy feeling.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 08:51 PM   #7

with a little search you may be able to find a motion activated LOUD alarm device that you can put in the storage area, then if it is opened the alarm will sound ...

I might also consider a "dummy" camera mounted high on the RV

A pity that you have to protect your stuff in a rented, fenced, storage yard.

I did a quick search on amazon and found this...

also Harbor Freight offers a low cost alarm... I know the batteries on this unit last a good long time as I use a couple of them on the perimeter of my home to warn me of stray animals (raccoons and such) outside near my garbage cans.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alarm.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	172529  
Attached Images

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 08:57 PM   #8

The problem with upgrading locks is that thieves assume you have something valuable in there. Hopefully, they didn't do too much damage to those compartments.

We always removed the batteries and propane tanks in storage.

Sorry for your loss. It's more the inconvenience than the dollar value.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papahoosh View Post
This is why I don’t believe in replacing the standard 751 storage locks with something better. A pry bar will defeat any lock on a storage compartment and in the process damage the door on that compartment. If someone wants to steal my stuff I’d rather they use a key than damage my storage door.

Everything I have in the storage compartment can be quickly replaced. Replacing a storage door will take a lot of time either waiting for the dealer to make the repair or waiting for a new storage door to come in from the manufacturer.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply
Old 05-20-2018, 07:02 AM   #10
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Sorry to hear of your loss. It's a shame you are suppose to be in a secured storage area and things get stolen. Most likly by other folks storing things there. Yep for get about up grading locks. Only keeps honest folks out. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply
Old 05-20-2018, 08:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp53 View Post
i feel for anyone that has to keep their TT in a storage facility, fortunately we can keep ours at home and it is parked near the bedroom window so a thief would more than likely wake me (light sleeper).
I used to have an RV 10 years ago still stored it at the storage place. Sold it due to lack of usage and told myself will never buy an rv unless i can store it on my owne lot. But broke down and bought another last November since the wife like camping alot.
Papahoosh is offline   Reply
Old 05-20-2018, 08:26 AM   #12

Items that have gone missing in campgrounds I was staying in: 1) Shore power cables, high copper content, removed from camper during the night, at State Parks and COE campgrounds which supposedly had gates that closed and needed secret pass code. 2) WDH components, yes those torsion bars are heavy but bring cash at scrap metal places. 3) LP tanks, how the heck do they get these off during the night without making as much noise as I do replacing them? 4) Items left outside in a supposedly safe campground, table top grills, various lighting. The worst theft of all- -someone opened an outside kitchen during the night, opened the fridge and stole all the beer
Thurman is offline   Reply
Old 05-20-2018, 12:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurman View Post
items that have gone missing in campgrounds i was staying in: 1) shore power cables, high copper content, removed from camper during the night, at state parks and coe campgrounds which supposedly had gates that closed and needed secret pass code. 2) wdh components, yes those torsion bars are heavy but bring cash at scrap metal places. 3) lp tanks, how the heck do they get these off during the night without making as much noise as i do replacing them? 4) items left outside in a supposedly safe campground, table top grills, various lighting. The worst theft of all- -someone opened an outside kitchen during the night, opened the fridge and stole all the beer

OH NO!
Not The Beer!

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply
Old 05-20-2018, 12:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Items that have gone missing in campgrounds I was staying in: 1) Shore power cables, high copper content, removed from camper during the night, at State Parks and COE campgrounds which supposedly had gates that closed and needed secret pass code. 2) WDH components, yes those torsion bars are heavy but bring cash at scrap metal places. 3) LP tanks, how the heck do they get these off during the night without making as much noise as I do replacing them? 4) Items left outside in a supposedly safe campground, table top grills, various lighting. The worst theft of all- -someone opened an outside kitchen during the night, opened the fridge and stole all the beer
WOW!! In all my years of camping, including tent camping, I've never had anything stolen at a campground or RV park.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply
Old 05-20-2018, 12:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
where do you camp at so i can avoid
guess we've been lucky never had anything stolen
rp53 is offline   Reply
Old 05-20-2018, 12:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp53 View Post
i feel for anyone that has to keep their TT in a storage facility, fortunately we can keep ours at home and it is parked near the bedroom window so a thief would more than likely wake me (light sleeper).
Sorry to say, but a theft from your property is just as likely to happen. Our neighbor had is locked vehicle parked in his drive forcibly entered. The door handle was pried off. Neither he nor the neighbors heard anything.
PenJoe is offline   Reply
Old 05-20-2018, 12:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
WOW!! In all my years of camping, including tent camping, I've never had anything stolen at a campground or RV park.
The most ridiculous thing we have lost in a campground is one boat oar. When we were out on the water, we always looked for someone that could only row in a circle-excluding us, of course.

It's one of the memorable camping trips.
PenJoe is offline   Reply
Old 05-20-2018, 01:10 PM   #18

Bummer. I bought this product off Amazon. When my RV is in storage I have one that monitors the front cab area and another aimed at the coach door. It is loud and would draw some attention. The key though is to mount or "hide" the unit so the thief couldn't easily see it and disarm. It can also act as a motion activated nightlight too. Good product. Doberman Security SE-0134A-2PK Motion Detector Light/Alarm Combo - 2 Pack (Silver/Black)

OTR 2023-29 / 2022-52 / 2021-51
2020-29 / 2019-71 / 2018-49
ArkRVHog is offline   Reply
Old 05-20-2018, 02:32 PM   #19

break ins

I have standard locks but I also have the TattleTale alarm system. All storage doors all have sensors, and there is a motion sensor inside in the base unit. It uses cell phone technology to notify the monitoring company, and also alerts me by text message and email. I also have a cord lock on the quad, that alerts if it is moved, like if someone mounts it. And finally another corded lock for the generator. The propane tanks both have chains and big locks. And of course the Progressive EMS has a lock tying it to the pedestal when we are in a campground.
Tiger Force Medic, 68/69
hankpac is offline   Reply
Old 05-20-2018, 02:59 PM   #20

Theft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Can’t stop a thief.

Remove items “worth stealing” and leave compartments open so they don’t have to break in.

My truck was robbed a while back....very uneasy feeling.
This is the best suggestion.
twdenman is offline   Reply
Closed Thread